Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Saw it today. Absolutely phenomenal. I literally cannot remember the last time I had that much fun in a theatre.
Old 05-27-15, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Is the 3D worth the upgrade?
Yes*

*provided you know a good theater that does 3D well. I loved the 3D and it looked amazing at the theater where I saw it. CinemaBlend gives it a near perfect 3D score: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-71474.html
Old 05-27-15, 06:48 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this tonight and just read through this whole thread trying to figure out the reason for the hype.

Based on the trailers, I was actually expecting this to be a lot more exciting than it was. It really felt like it dragged on in a few places, and it seemed like there was a lot of stuff that wasn't followed up on/developed, and a lot of cliches.

I thought Theron and Hardy were great.

I thought Immortan Joe was pointlessly full of himself (even his name comes off as trying too hard, and that line about becoming too reliant on water was not only silly but they didn't really do anything with it in the movie, or at least I didn't see how they got from that "warning" to them releasing the water at the end of the film...which also bugged me: they live in a post-apocalyptic world with very limited resources, I question how long that source of water is going to last, and, moreover, expect widespread rioting as the general population starts to realize there's not boot on their neck anymore, meaning they will essentially kill themselves all off, or Furiosa and crew will have to become Immortan Joe redux to keep everyone alive.)

I had heard some of the buzz about how strong the women in this film are, but the wives just come across as a wasted opportunity, left with cliches about men not telling them what to do anymore and, worse, turning into tropes (AHH! Hardship! I must run back to protection!. Oh, look at the poor hurt/misunderstood boy! I'm in love now and will trust the guy trying to kill us with not just my welfare, but that of my entire party!). It would have been nice if we could have seen some uncertainty or at least some foreshadowing before they made these changes of heart. They just became redshirts and eye candy largely, which is a shame.

I could have done without so much of the daughter flashbacks/frequent PTSD episodes. Once or twice to establish why he is the way he is probably would have been enough. I didn't think it really added much to anything else in the film except to make him conveniently vulnerable. It certainly wasn't needed to "save" him from that bolt to the head or to come up with his alternate plan once Furiosa's didn't pan out.

Speaking of which, it bugs me a bit that you spend something like 3/4ths of this movie getting to that reveal and then they are back at the Citadel in like a snap of the fingers.

Also, did I hear them right? They had supplies to power everyone to drive for 160 days? Even if they only drive 6 hours a day at 50 MPH, that's still 48,000 miles. You can almost circumnavigate the globe twice driving that long. That's also almost half a year they could have spent searching for a better place to live. I really thought it would have been nice if they had made the choice here seem a little less obvious. (Alternatively, the difficulty of getting back to the Citadel, and/or governing it once they got there would have been a nice discussion too.) Please tell me I misheard that.

The action scenes, costuming, and car design were all fantastic. I would have liked to have seen more of them. Or, better yet, for it to have meant more.

I really wanted to like this movie, but it was pretty much a let down for me.
Old 05-27-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Old 05-27-15, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Well I agree with the "reliant on water" line being silly (though he could have told them anything.) and the "saving of the boy" being a big cliche now.

The other stuff I don't really agree with, the movie went with a classic plot structure thrown into a a 2 hour chase and I'm good with that.

Also while they did spend a long time getting to the "Green place", it never appeared they really went that far heading out. It was what, a 1 or 2 night trip while fighting off a lot of enemies, mud and sandstorms?

I missed the line about 160 days, somebody else mentioned it and I think I hit the restroom at the time. Was that 160 days worth of just fuel and oil or 160 days of fuel, oil, water and food?

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade
I saw this tonight and just read through this whole thread trying to figure out the reason for the hype.

Based on the trailers, I was actually expecting this to be a lot more exciting than it was. It really felt like it dragged on in a few places, and it seemed like there was a lot of stuff that wasn't followed up on/developed, and a lot of cliches.

I thought Theron and Hardy were great.

I thought Immortan Joe was pointlessly full of himself (even his name comes off as trying too hard, and that line about becoming too reliant on water was not only silly but they didn't really do anything with it in the movie, or at least I didn't see how they got from that "warning" to them releasing the water at the end of the film...which also bugged me: they live in a post-apocalyptic world with very limited resources, I question how long that source of water is going to last, and, moreover, expect widespread rioting as the general population starts to realize there's not boot on their neck anymore, meaning they will essentially kill themselves all off, or Furiosa and crew will have to become Immortan Joe redux to keep everyone alive.)

I had heard some of the buzz about how strong the women in this film are, but the wives just come across as a wasted opportunity, left with cliches about men not telling them what to do anymore and, worse, turning into tropes (AHH! Hardship! I must run back to protection!. Oh, look at the poor hurt/misunderstood boy! I'm in love now and will trust the guy trying to kill us with not just my welfare, but that of my entire party!). It would have been nice if we could have seen some uncertainty or at least some foreshadowing before they made these changes of heart. They just became redshirts and eye candy largely, which is a shame.

I could have done without so much of the daughter flashbacks/frequent PTSD episodes. Once or twice to establish why he is the way he is probably would have been enough. I didn't think it really added much to anything else in the film except to make him conveniently vulnerable. It certainly wasn't needed to "save" him from that bolt to the head or to come up with his alternate plan once Furiosa's didn't pan out.

Speaking of which, it bugs me a bit that you spend something like 3/4ths of this movie getting to that reveal and then they are back at the Citadel in like a snap of the fingers.

Also, did I hear them right? They had supplies to power everyone to drive for 160 days? Even if they only drive 6 hours a day at 50 MPH, that's still 48,000 miles. You can almost circumnavigate the globe twice driving that long. That's also almost half a year they could have spent searching for a better place to live. I really thought it would have been nice if they had made the choice here seem a little less obvious. (Alternatively, the difficulty of getting back to the Citadel, and/or governing it once they got there would have been a nice discussion too.) Please tell me I misheard that.

The action scenes, costuming, and car design were all fantastic. I would have liked to have seen more of them. Or, better yet, for it to have meant more.

I really wanted to like this movie, but it was pretty much a let down for me.
Well, as you saw earlier in the film, Immortan Joe's lands on the upper levels were fertile and green. Which means not only was he hoarding all the water but he had enough food for everyone. The bit about not becoming addicted to water was simply to keep people in line. As for where he got the water, it was mentioned he pumped it from deep within the ground. That means there is still some semblance of an ecosystem. With proper irrigation and soil preparation, a large farmland could be made for the rest of the citizens. But then no one would feel subjected to Immortan Joe if he helped them fend for themselves.

His name sounded self important because that was the point. Immortan Joe was a self appointed god.

As for the Wives, I was glad to not see them all be thinly veiled copies of Furiosa. Some of them were strong (Splendid), others were weak (Cheedo), and some fell someplace in between (Capable). As for the Capable-Nux relationship, it didn't feel so much like romantic love as it was a kinship between two individuals that were slaves in their own way. My only gripe is that they telegraphed
Spoiler:
Nux' demise
so that when it finally happens, it felt a tad hollow.
Old 05-27-15, 08:45 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by printerati
I didn't read this whole thread just to hate on the movie. With a 90%+ for both critical and audience reviews on RT, I'm assuming I'm missing something here. I gave the examples I did so I wasn't just asking what most people liked about the movie, but also showing some of where I thought the movie failed.

Originally Posted by RichC2
The other stuff I don't really agree with, the movie went with a classic plot structure thrown into a a 2 hour chase and I'm good with that.
I don't suppose you could be more specific about what you enjoyed about the movie? I thought the action scenes were pretty great really, but the connectors (as I said) didn't work for me. What was it about them that elevated this movie above other action films for you?

Also while they did spend a long time getting to the "Green place", it never appeared they really went that far heading out. It was what, a 1 or 2 night trip while fighting off a lot of enemies, mud and sandstorms?
Yes, but having made such an epic journey, having the return be so quick kind of made the return a bit of a joke. And a little repetitive too since not only is it more car chase scenes, but fighting through the canyons again kind of takes away from the uniqueness of the first run through it.

It almost makes it feel tacked on.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well, as you saw earlier in the film, Immortan Joe's lands on the upper levels were fertile and green. Which means not only was he hoarding all the water but he had enough food for everyone. The bit about not becoming addicted to water was simply to keep people in line. As for where he got the water, it was mentioned he pumped it from deep within the ground. That means there is still some semblance of an ecosystem. With proper irrigation and soil preparation, a large farmland could be made for the rest of the citizens. But then no one would feel subjected to Immortan Joe if he helped them fend for themselves.
I got that. But there were quite a few people there, how long do you think the water they have is going to last (I didn't get the sense that there was a lot of rain in the area to maintain the water level... or maybe I missed a line about it being an endless underground source; I think they used that in MM2 or 3 didn't they?) Also, there might be enough water to create food for everyone to live above subsistence levels (though now I do remember Joe running through what looked like some kind of lettuce factory), there probably isn't currently enough to feed everyone they way they need to be fed, hence my assumption that there would be riots pretty soon.

His name sounded self important because that was the point. Immortan Joe was a self appointed god.
It just seemed kind of on the nose to me when I started reading it here (I couldn't understand exactly what they were calling him in the movie.)

As for the Wives, I was glad to not see them all be thinly veiled copies of Furiosa. Some of them were strong (Splendid), others were weak (Cheedo), and some fell someplace in between (Capable). As for the Capable-Nux relationship, it didn't feel so much like romantic love as it was a kinship between two individuals that were slaves in their own way. My only gripe is that they telegraphed
Spoiler:
Nux' demise
so that when it finally happens, it felt a tad hollow.
The "strong>weak" thing is what I meant by cliched. I didn't want more Furiosa's, just people who did things for reasons justified by what had happened in the movie.

Your kinship interpretation would have been good, but the looks between the two seemed more like romantic longing to me.
Old 05-27-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't suppose you could be more specific about what you enjoyed about the movie? I thought the action scenes were pretty great really, but the connectors (as I said) didn't work for me. What was it about them that elevated this movie above other action films for you?

Yes, but having made such an epic journey, having the return be so quick kind of made the return a bit of a joke. And a little repetitive too since not only is it more car chase scenes, but fighting through the canyons again kind of takes away from the uniqueness of the first run through it.

It almost makes it feel tacked on.
The return trip I didn't find repetitive as they approached it in a very different manner, and it was a rather quick return (as they got to skip a few locations and just streamline haul ass back to the fort.)

What I enjoyed about the story was the detail that was in it, you are never fed what the motives for every character are but they're all revealed throughout the movie. It's structured like a standard Shakespearean play with the Kings (Joe), Generals (his brothers), Empires, Kidnapped queen (Furiosa), dis-memberments, lost children/brothers, changing alliances and attempts at revenge/redemption (and suggestion that Furiosa is responsible for the five wives being there to begin with, likely how she became so highly ranked). All tied together via a long chase sequence. It was just nicely done overall.
Old 05-27-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

I got that. But there were quite a few people there, how long do you think the water they have is going to last (I didn't get the sense that there was a lot of rain in the area to maintain the water level... or maybe I missed a line about it being an endless underground source; I think they used that in MM2 or 3 didn't they?) Also, there might be enough water to create food for everyone to live above subsistence levels (though now I do remember Joe running through what looked like some kind of lettuce factory), there probably isn't currently enough to feed everyone they way they need to be fed, hence my assumption that there would be riots pretty soon.
Papagallo's tribe in MM2 lived of chickens, pigs, and some greens (which I don't recall). Max himself lived off dog food. No mention of where they got water.

Barter Town in MMBTD was powered by methane from pig shit. It was illegal to kill pigs. Though I do recall that Auntie Entity seemed to have some choice food stored for herself. There was water (sold by peddlers) but much of it was irradiated.

I think there was enough water for everyone in Immortan Joe's citadel. But he'd rather keep the good stuff for himself on the upper level and would only occasionally "bless" his subjects with free flowing water just for show. Although that was the same gesture done by Furiosa at the end, I doubt they'd leave the tap open indefinitely. They need to wet the lower soil and then use the seeds they got from the Many Mothers.

It just seemed kind of on the nose to me when I started reading it here (I couldn't understand exactly what they were calling him in the movie.)
My only issue with Immortan Joe and the Warboys is that he must've had that cult before whatever cataclysm befell the world. Otherwise, the religious zeal of his closest followers makes no sense.

The "strong>weak" thing is what I meant by cliched. I didn't want more Furiosa's, just people who did things for reasons justified by what had happened in the movie.
And the latter is exactly what you got. Heck, the only two female badasses were Furiosa and The Valkyrie. The rest of the women had the same strengths and weaknesses as the men. It was refreshing that even Furiosa with her metal arm wasn't suddenly an unstoppable war machine. Any other screenwriter (or the writers of Person Of Interest) would have had Furiosa one-punch knockout Rictus Erectus without so much as breaking a sweat. These were hardened (and broken, in the case of some) people but none were superhuman action hero clichés.

Your kinship interpretation would have been good, but the looks between the two seemed more like romantic longing to me.
They're the same looks Max and Furiosa were giving each other by film's end. Basically, Capable and Nux were junior versions of Furiosa and Max.
Old 05-27-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

What Rocshemp said. BTW, have you guys still not read the prequel comic yet?
Old 05-27-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Read the first few "most helpful" reviews...
Old 05-27-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Read the first few "most helpful" reviews...
That is awesome, I love how amazon deleted one of the answers, but left all the other answers / "reviews" alone...I am guessing that as long as the review does not contain language, or is not super crude, that they are chuckling at the reviews just like most people are, or at least those with a sense of humor.
Old 05-27-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
You're a feminist.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E0CazRHB0so" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-27-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
No.
Same goes for DBox.

But Atmos?
Originally Posted by EctoCooler
No.
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yes*

*provided you know a good theater that does 3D well. I loved the 3D and it looked amazing at the theater where I saw it. CinemaBlend gives it a near perfect 3D score: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-71474.html
Thank you.
Old 05-27-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was #1 on Tuesday (Tomorrowland was #2, Pitch Perfect was #3.) with $3.05m, it currently sits at $97.8m domestically.
Old 05-27-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this. I won't post one of my long-winded reviews no one will read and instead make it quick and dirty: this is everything I could've hoped for as a Mad Max fan and makes The Fast and the Furious look like Driving Miss Daisy.

I'd have loved to heard it in ATMOS.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-27-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Saw this. I won't post one of my long-winded reviews no one will read and instead make it quick and dirty: this is everything I could've hoped for as a Mad Max fan and makes The Fast and the Furious look like Driving Miss Daisy.
We also would have accepted Curious George.
Old 05-27-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tired to pick something involving cars.
Old 05-27-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vroooom vrooom!
Old 05-27-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Saw it this afternoon in 3D. Thought it was awesome. Such great action and so much spectacle. I really enjoyed it. Very awesome movie, can't wait to own the 3D Blu Ray.
Old 05-28-15, 02:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After Watching it I can't help but feel that this is the movie that Miller has always wanted to make. The other Mad Max's are fantastic but from the opening shot with the 2 headed lizard onwards I think you can kinda tell that something like this is always how he envisioned a Mad Max movie. The first one was necessary to establish the character and such, not the mention to get anything else off the ground financially speaking, and Road Warrior and Thunderdome are amazing, but with todays technology I think we finally get to see Mad Max as perfectly from the mind George Miller as we can. And it. Is. Beautiful.
Old 05-28-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by lastActionHero
... Road Warrior and Thunderdome are [is] amazing.
fixed.
Old 05-28-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Has anyone here been to Wasteland Weekend? It's like Burning Man, but for fans of post-apocalyptic movies. I'm trying to convince some friends of mine that it would be a fun vacation to take next year.

Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:

Old 05-28-15, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus. How many of those ARE Mad Max related characters? They're so easy to point out.
Old 05-28-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought about going but it's way too expensive. I bet Doof the flame thrower guitar player will be popular at that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.