Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I saw it and I loved it and was disappointed at the same time. I've been a huge fan of the first two flicks since I was a child.

I loved it because I saw the same movie you guys saw. It was one long extended car chase, which is badass; the best part of the Road Warrior for an entire movie! I thought Hardy looked the part.

I was disappointed mainly because I'd been waiting for this movie for at least 15 years, which of course is going to have an impact on your enjoyment of a movie. I felt it was a little over-the-top. I know that's what Miller was going for and that's fine. I just loved the low-key stuff in the first two flicks. I was hoping for a little more of that slower wasteland stuff. The shot of Max staring at the wasteland at the beginning was a good example of that. Also, every character seemed unstoppable. I didn't really feel any danger for any of the characters.

All-in-all I liked the movie a lot. I'm glad I saw it and I'll probably go see it at least once more. Probably in 3D this time.

If they do a sequel, I hope we get some quieter moments and I want to see Max's dog. I think the next movie should focus more on Max being a drifter.

Also, I loved seeing the Toecutters eyes for a split-second.
I don't agree w/ that. Everybody could be stopped. Some were and some weren't. Our heroes didn't get out of it w/o losing something either.
Old 05-16-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

We're seeing this Monday morning again!
Old 05-16-15, 07:42 PM
Banned

Saw it again today. So fucking good. 2D is so much better. 3D wasn't perfect but it worked in some ways. It needed more work in the conversion.

How I fucking love the main bike gang attack. Just everything just ramping up. Our heroes struggling to get shit done. So much logic used in this this film. I loved how Furiosa and Max got in sync w/ fighting so well.
Old 05-16-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really fun movie. I loved the vehicle designs. Considering the R rating I was expecting a little more gore/nudity but that's a minor complaint. Gave it a 4 out of 5.
Old 05-16-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason the theatre I went to showed the film windowboxed on the screen.

I would disagree with the majority here, I think the 3D is a must.

You see Max's face so rarely, they could've used Gibson and "Benjamin Buttoned" the few close ups, although given the thankless role Max plays in the film, Gibson probably would've never agreed to it.

I really enjoyed it, but it should've been called Furiosa...
Old 05-16-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched it because of the hype and I liked it a lot. I mean, it was a crazy ass movie. The costumes/make up, set pieces, vehicles, the freaking guitar player! Watching it I was thinking damn this is the craziest thing. Can't believe a 72 year old man made this.

I was also thinking this felt very much like the videogames Rage and Borderlands. Those are two of my favorite games so it felt like watching them on the big screen. It's true the story is very cliche but I had a lot of fun watching it and will likely watch it again on blu ray.
Old 05-16-15, 08:40 PM
Banned

We've seen stories like that, yes. But luckily so... it's all about how it's done over what it's about.

As stated, It's amazing that 70 year old man directed this. He literally showed every action film director from the past 10 years or so how to do action right. Yeah, we've had solid directors in action.. but Miller just widened gap in quality from him and everyone else.
Old 05-16-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but this was flat-out phenomenal; one of the most satisfying theater experiences I've had in a long while.

Miller fired on all cylinders to get this thing made, and, boy, is it a thing of beauty. There's at least $100+mm up there, on the screen, exploding and revving and bleeding and dying. This isn't just one of the best action films of the past decade; this is a work of brutal art brought to startling life.

I wouldn't change a single thing about it - perfect casting, excellent writing, just enough story-meat to spell things out but not so much that we're bogged down with exposition that doesn't further the story. Miller's film is like a heavyweight fighter with 3% body fat - it's all meat, no filler.

Theron is a fucking beast. Hardy was much more of a force than I had been anticipating.

Junkie XL's score was so fitting and triumphant. Full of big, bold moments and constantly building up to massive set pieces.

I need to see this again. Right now.
Old 05-16-15, 08:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

probably won't see it until it hits home video, but could someone tell me where this fits in with the timeline of the other movies? is Hardy supposed to be the same exact character that Mel Gibson was?
Old 05-16-15, 09:14 PM
Banned

Reboot.
Old 05-16-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is Mad Max: Fury Road connected to the previous three Mad Max movies? Do you consider it a sequel, a reboot?

George Miller - It's connected in spirit. It's kind of revisiting a familiar place for me. The films are loosely connected. Each one was made with different impulses, and this is clearly a postapocalyptic wasteland. The big attraction for me in these stories is that they effectively look forward to the past. Although we're maybe 45 to 50 years after some apocalypse, we are really going back to the medieval Dark Ages — in the same way that the American Western allowed for allegory figures playing out morality tales in a landscape.
Probably best to think of it like a James Bond movie with a new James Bond.
Old 05-16-15, 09:36 PM
Banned

It's a reboot. It doesn't hold an continuity w/ the previous ones. And I'm fine and dandy w/ that.
----------

If you watch the film, it makes nods to the previous films but not as continuity but as references to the films.

I think this film made 3 references to the MM trilogy

Spoiler:
Toecutter's Eyes, that's literally a shot from MM1, colortimed and whatnot but it's from MM1 unless they just redid it for a less than a second shot.

The little music box thing is for MM2.

And... was Max having an excessive amount of weapons a nod to MM3? Not when he got it from the Bullet Farmer but when he just taking all of Furiosa's guns. Hell, she even had a bow gun like what was in MM3. But i'm not sure.
Old 05-16-15, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I was thinking there would be a joke regarding that really small gun they had a lot of bullets for.
Old 05-16-15, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I was thinking there would be a joke regarding that really small gun they had a lot of bullets for.
Question about the bullets:
Spoiler:
There were 4 for the rifle. Max shot off 2. Giving the last one to Furiosa. Was there a shot previous Max's 2 that I don't remember? I seriously don't remember 4. I don't think he shot 3 either.
Old 05-16-15, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Question about the bullets:
Spoiler:
There were 4 for the rifle. Max shot off 2. Giving the last one to Furiosa. Was there a shot previous Max's 2 that I don't remember? I seriously don't remember 4. I don't think he shot 3 either.
Spoiler:
He shot 2 in rapid succession, then the girl said he had 2 left. He shot one more, then gave the rifle to Furiosa.

My wife confirmed that's how it went. By the way, she dug the hell out of this movie. She's never seen any of them until we watched both Mad Max and Road Warrior back to back last night then this today.
Old 05-16-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Defiant1
My only slight complaint is that some of the dialogue was incomprehensible, especially in the beginning.
I saw it tonight in Dolby Atmos. The mix was absolutely wonderful, but I too could not understand a damn thing Joe was saying at the beginning of the movie. The entire part after he released the water, his vocals were way too low.

Also, people who hate on this 3D post conversion are ridiculous. This is how post conversion work should be done. I don't think it's as amazing at Cuaron's Gravity, but it's definitely up there.
Old 05-16-15, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Spoiler:
He shot 2 in rapid succession, then the girl said he had 2 left. He shot one more, then gave the rifle to Furiosa.

My wife confirmed that's how it went. By the way, she dug the hell out of this movie. She's never seen any of them until we watched both Mad Max and Road Warrior back to back last night then this today.
Ah. Somehow I didn't notice that. Thanks.
Old 05-16-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/05/cannes...-it-in-3d.html

Saw it this morning and loved it. It was cool having Hugh Keays Byrne back again but the one thing really missing was Bruce Spence. Would have been great to see him in just a cameo somewhere.

For Farscape fans, I knew one of the Vulvalini women looked familiar - Melissa Jaffer (name rang a bell) - "Keeper of the Seeds" was Noranti on Farscape S4.

A bit of a rollback to when Virginia Hey was the original "Warrior Woman".

So yeah, you had the War Dogs (with Bullet Farmers and Gas City - or whatever they called it), the Russian speaking guys with the spiked vehicles ("Cars that Ate Paris" on steroids), the dreadlocked bikers (Rock Riders), and then the Vulvalini/Many Mothers. Nice ways to differentiate the different groups this time around.
Old 05-16-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lara Means
I saw it tonight in Dolby Atmos. The mix was absolutely wonderful, but I too could not understand a damn thing Joe was saying at the beginning of the movie. The entire part after he released the water, his vocals were way too low.

Also, people who hate on this 3D post conversion are ridiculous. This is how post conversion work should be done. I don't think it's as amazing at Cuaron's Gravity, but it's definitely up there.

Agreed on dialogue. I went to the best theater in Austin and missed a few lines in the beginning.

Don't really care as I'll subtitle the blu.
Old 05-17-15, 12:50 AM
Banned

Just saw it. It isn't the Second Coming of action movies and it certainly isn't as good as Mad Max 2, but I enjoyed it Main gripes: the poor sound mix and indecipherable dialogue during some of those early Immortan scenes. Very undercooked secondary characters like the wives and that pregnant chick, whatever her name was. The speeding-up of the action footage. And, i know this is probably MAJOR nitpicking, but I really wish someone other than Max had delivered the opening monologue. The Feral kid and Savannah Nix monologues were terrific how they seem to be telling the story of an already legendary character. I missed that.

Other than that I thought the movie was a blast and I'll certainly be seeing it again very soon. I really hope it does well enough to warrant at least one more sequel.

--

Last edited by EctoCooler; 05-17-15 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-17-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Don't forget that if ya'll want some Nux and Immorten Joe origin takes that the comic book prequel written by Miller hits May 20th. I've pre-ordered and subscribed to the series via Comixology.

Goddamn I really hope it makes more money than it will on its second weekend than this weekend. The shit is trending everywhere.
Old 05-17-15, 03:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best action film since Dredd. Pretty much perfect. I actually liked that the movie didn't stop to tell everyone's backstory, since most of those stories weren't relevant for the plot. But they clearly existed and that gave the world depth.

Theron was fantastic, the visuals were fantastic, the old school feel of the film was palpable. My wife loved it as much as I did, and we're going to see it again next weekend. I think WOM is going to give this film strong legs in what looks to be a weak summer.

I really hope it makes enough for WB to bankroll the sequels.

Also I pre-ordered the vinyl edition of the soundtrack from Mondo.

And Bluelightspecial's posts made me dumber for having read them.
Old 05-17-15, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Rectify that and you will see what the fuss is about. There is no "dumping" into this world if you're familiar with the franchise, which you're not. Report back when you finish the other 3 films.
Easier said than done. A friend of mine saw and loved this movie but refuses to watch the originals. Apparently she saw a CinemaSins video that was making fun of MMBTD and got it in her head that MM and MM2 are like that as well. No matter how much I tried to explain to her how much this movie owes to the first two in particular, she has it in her head that they are poorly dated and not worth her time.
Old 05-17-15, 06:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't forget that if ya'll want some Nux and Immorten Joe origin takes that the comic book prequel written by Miller hits May 20th. I've pre-ordered and subscribed to the series via Comixology.

Goddamn I really hope it makes more money than it will on its second weekend than this weekend. The shit is trending everywhere.
It's by Miller, eh? That's got my interest now. I hate prequel comics but unlike other directors doing stuff like this I think I trust Miller more than the rest. Who's the artist?
Old 05-17-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You know, I really liked the movie. It was visually resplendent, chock full of amazingly staged action sequences in an incredibly realized universe with some rather colorful characters. But I didn't love it as much as you guys did. It didn't engage me on any level more than "oh that's pretty cool". Maybe I'm just getting old

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.