Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Saw it in 3D (only showings left now near me). Was very good. Killer crazy action.

Only thing that bothered me was how some stunts didn't have the actors hair blowing in the wind, which made it obvious that they were in a slow moving dolly or green screen.
Old 06-04-15, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just watched the original last night for the first time. Snails pace is an understatement.
fuckin millenials..
Old 06-04-15, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I thought that the second film was a moderate-sized drive-in hit, and the first film got released on VHS to cash in on that later on?
You thought wrong. The first two films were giant hits. Mad Max was a smash hit and the biggest-grossing Australian release at that time. "The Road Warrior" aka Mad Max 2 was a huge hit in America.
Old 06-04-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
You thought wrong. The first two films were giant hits. Mad Max was a smash hit and the biggest-grossing Australian release at that time. "The Road Warrior" aka Mad Max 2 was a huge hit in America.
You're wrong, neither Mad Max nor The Road Warrior were huge hits in the US, grossing $8m and $23.6m domestically, respectively.

They did respectably, especially for imports, but I wouldn't consider either "huge".
Old 06-04-15, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
You're wrong, neither Mad Max nor The Road Warrior were huge hits in the US, grossing $8m and $23.6m domestically, respectively.

They did respectibly, especially for imports.
I wasn't just thinking domestically. MM was a huge hit in its country. Its biggest ever. "TRW" was considered a big hit State-wide.
Old 06-04-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it's all in respect to expectations of the time.
Old 06-04-15, 08:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good news for us in Austin - the Texas State Museum will be showing MMFR starting next week. Odd since its been out for a while, and it was never on their calendar, but I'll be watching it again. Bittersweet since this will be the first movie there with the new all digital setup. RIP IMAX film.
Old 06-04-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Good news for us in Austin - the Texas State Museum will be showing MMFR starting next week. Odd since its been out for a while, and it was never on their calendar, but I'll be watching it again. Bittersweet since this will be the first movie there with the new all digital setup. RIP IMAX film.
Not surprising then, MMFR is the most digital looking digital movie I've seen in theaters
Old 06-04-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was talking about in the U.S.

fuckin millenials..
You have no idea.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-04-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I'll never understand the inability of some people to look at anything in context. The original Mad Max was a drive-in exploitation flick. None of the actors are experienced, and the budget was what, $150,000? Looked at through that lense it's one of the greatest ever made. Even broadening your context to include "anything made before the 2000's" the complaints of it being slow are completely baffling. It has plenty of incident, stuff happening all the time. No, it's not one long car chase but since when did that become a requirement?
I got the context. I knew it was low budget. I figured it probably hadn't aged well. All I wanted was to be entertained for two hours. That's my only requirement.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Except I acknowledged the budget and age previously And who said anything about a long car chase being a requirement? I don't know the best way to explain it, but honestly i'm not big enough a fan of film to put qualifiers as to what entertains me now when it comes to older movies and say "it's good for what it was." Mad Max just didn't do much for me as someone watching it for the first time today, and that's all there really is to it. I don't understand folks that get upset or offended at that. Sorry?
It was an okay flick. Not bad, not great, just average. There's nothing wrong with that.

fuckin millenials..
Uh, no.
Old 06-04-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Good riddance to IMAX film! The new digital laser IMAX projector with 12 channel sound rolled out in my area back in early May. It's without a doubt the most ridiculous movie going experience ive ever been in. It's just an assault of amazing sound and picture quality. Chris Nolan and any other film purists can go eat a dick. This is the way movies deserve to be viewed in.
Old 06-04-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Good riddance to IMAX film! The new digital laser IMAX projector with 12 channel sound rolled out in my area back in early May. It's without a doubt the most ridiculous movie going experience I've ever been in. It's just an assault of amazing sound and picture quality. Chris Nolan and any other film purists can go eat a dick. This is the way movies deserve to be viewed in.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-05-15 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

fuckin millenials..
I was born in 1980, like the original Mad Max, but it is pretty slow moving. Especially when compared to the sequels, for better or worse.
Old 06-06-15, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrmmm.

Previously I made mention that it was set to release in China this month but from what I'm now reading is that China hasn't set a date yet.

Also something about China not liking certain future type of movies? Is that right? I know very little about what they censor from our stuff.
Old 06-07-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I was born in 1980, like the original Mad Max, but it is pretty slow moving. Especially when compared to the sequels, for better or worse.
Are you pretty slow moving compared to your younger siblings?
Old 06-07-15, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the action, music, fight choreography. Liked Hardy as Max.

Not so enthused about Theron. Physical action...nice. Dialogue...not so nice (both of us agreed after comparing notes). Not just the American accent...just didn't seem "authentic" (to use a trendy acting word). Really disagree that she stole the show or that it was Furiosa's movie. Yeah, she drove the action (no pun), but Max had at least an even amount of input. Theron looked great in the role.

The wives...waaaay too "model-looking" for such a setting. Who did their hair, makeup, & nails (besides the old crone)? Their acting was okay...not that they were asked to do much. Would have liked more "real"-looking characters such as those in Road Warrior.

Nux...

In short...while on the road, A+++. The "emoting" scenes...C. Way too predictable, cheesy, overly-sentimental (those final head nods...). Ending was too pat...would have been nice to see a takeover struggle.

Minor quibbles overall (I wouldn't have minded if there had been no dialogue or if only Max had spoken English & had to communicate by way of pantomime & gestures). On the other hand, I loved the old ladies who went berserk on the war rig...THEY added tons of character.

Highly recommended to see in a theater. And has a lot of replay value on BD/DVD, especially with FF. I just don't see this as in the same league as Road Warrior, which I thought had a better balance of plot, dialogue, action...and heart.
Old 06-07-15, 03:26 PM
Banned

You did get WHY the wives were the way they were, right? Made sense as to why they looked that way.

A takeover struggle from what? There wasn't much to oppose by that point.

Theron's voice was fine. That's pretty much her voice as a whole now. I also thought her dialogue was fine.
Old 06-07-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah. The women were "breeders," the creme de la creme of the females in that world, which is why Joe wanted to have a better litter of children that could take over his empire. His current crop of kids were no good. He needed to pull from a better gene pool.
Old 06-07-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

They did address the takeover. She showed them that she killed Joe. They accepted her as the new ruler.

I'm not familiar. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it works in Viking culture.
Old 06-07-15, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah. The women were "breeders," the creme de la creme of the females in that world, which is why Joe wanted to have a better litter of children that could take over his empire. His current crop of kids were no good. He needed to pull from a better gene pool.
Yeah. The dialogue from and about them highlighted the environment they were in.

Talking about breeders, the first time I saw the film the "Mother's Milk" room... I totally didn't notice what some of those women had in their hands. The 2nd time... I started taking in more of the side details more than the focused point of the visual. Amazing details in this world. Miller has his focus in the middle, so you take that in but the amount of detail building that world outside of the central focus is insane. It makes you want to know more about how Citadel came to be. Sick sick detail in so much of what are building blocks for the visual frame Miller gives us. And that's the point of his eye for these things. We're jumping in on another day and you may want to know HOW or WHAT all this is but he's got you focused on something more central. Very good eye Miller has.

How good is the comic btw, bro? I hate movie prequel comics cuz they're all crap but this one has my interest.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
They did address the takeover. She showed them that she killed Joe. They accepted her as the new ruler.

I'm not familiar. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it works in Viking culture.
I think he's asking for a more standard takeover. Fighting and whatnot.
Old 06-07-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. The dialogue from and about them highlighted the environment they were in.

Talking about breeders, the first time I saw the film the "Mother's Milk" room... I totally didn't notice what some of those women had in their hands. The 2nd time... I started taking in more of the side details more than the focused point of the visual. Amazing details in this world. Miller has his focus in the middle, so you take that in but the amount of detail building that world outside of the central focus is insane. It makes you want to know more about how Citadel came to be. Sick sick detail in so much of what are building blocks for the visual frame Miller gives us. And that's the point of his eye for these things. We're jumping in on another day and you may want to know HOW or WHAT all this is but he's got you focused on something more central. Very good eye Miller has.

How good is the comic btw, bro? I hate movie prequel comics cuz they're all crap but this one has my interest.

I think he's asking for a more standard takeover. Fighting and whatnot.

The comic rocks. First issue alone you get Joe and Nux's origin. I think #2 arrives this week and that one may be Furiosa's origin.
Old 06-07-15, 04:27 PM
Banned

I think that is right. Joe and Nux for an issue. Furiosa for the next one. And then we get 2 Max issues. Cuz it's only 4 issues. I'll get the TPB when it comes out.
Old 06-07-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I sort of want a Slit one, he was well played for a fairly quiet guy. That actor has a long career ahead of him playing bad guys, sort of Sean Bean-ish.
Old 06-07-15, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have to check out the comic.

Well, tastes differ, but I figured that Joe wouldn't take his entire crew out to recapture the wives. I get the "The king is dead...long live Furiosa" idea...makes sense...but seemed a bit anticlimactic (which does sound petty considering the staggering amount of action sequences).

My objection to the wives was not that they were too attractive (and, yes, I got that they were breeders...although they could have just been chosen as sex slaves solely due to their appearance. They just seemed too ready for a Vogue photo shoot. But I guess any culture that could produce all those awesome vehicles & armor could come up with some rouge, lipstick, and a stellar hairdresser. And lots of the war boys, the mad guitarist, etc. seemed pretty fashionable (along with Immortan). So, yeah...I see your point & withdraw the complaint.

But I totally disagree about Theron. And I usually like her performances. This one didn't convince me (or my wife) at all, and that's my story that I'm sticking to...at least until I see it again.
Old 06-07-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can understand the complaints on Theron, her performance actually worked better for me on the second viewing. The whole movie unwinds a bit the second time around because you know what's happening and where it's going.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.