DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Tale of Tales (2015, D: Matteo Garrone)(S: S. Hayek, V. Cassel, etc.) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626695-tale-tales-2015-d-matteo-garrone-s-s-hayek-v-cassel-etc.html)

Solid Snake 05-05-15 02:53 PM

The Tale of Tales (2015, D: Matteo Garrone)(S: S. Hayek, V. Cassel, etc.)

Saw this... interesting. Never saw the director's work before.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e3hVmpGzl7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is loosely based on stories from the 17th-century fairytale collection The Tale of Tales, compiled by Giambattista Basile. The film was an Italian-led production with co-producers in France and the United Kingdom. It was Garrone's first English-language film. It has been selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival

Salma Hayek as Queen of Longtrellis
Vincent Cassel as King of Strongcliff
John C. Reilly as King of Longtrellis
Toby Jones as King of Highhills
Shirley Henderson as Imma
Hayley Carmichael as Dora
Bebe Cave as Violet
Christian Lees as Elias
Jonah Lees as Jonah
Stacy Martin as Young Dora
Guillaume Delaunay as Ogre
Kathryn Hunter as Witch
Jessie Cave as Fenizia
about the collection it's based on:

Spoiler:

The Pentamerone is structured around a fantastic frame story, in which fifty stories are related over the course of five days, rather than the ten of the Tuscan compendium. The frame story is that of a cursed, melancholy princess named Zoza ("mud" or "slime" in Neapolitan, but also used as a term of endearment). She cannot laugh, no matter what her father does to amuse her, so he sets up a fountain of oil by the door, thinking people slipping in the oil would make her laugh. An old woman tried to gather oil, a page boy broke her jug, and the old woman grew so angry that she danced about, and Zoza laughed at her. The old woman cursed her to marry only the prince of Round-Field, whom she could only wake by filling a pitcher with tears in three days. With some aid from fairies, who also give her gifts, Zoza found the prince and the pitcher, and nearly filled the pitcher when she fell asleep. A Moorish slave steals it, finishes filling it, and claims the prince.

This frame story in itself is a fairy tale, combining motifs that will appear in other stories: the princess who cannot laugh in The Magic Swan, Golden Goose, and The Princess Who Never Smiled; the curse to marry only one hard-to-find person, in Snow-White-Fire-Red and Anthousa, Xanthousa, Chrisomalousa; and the heroine falling asleep while trying to save the hero, and then losing him because of trickery in The Sleeping Prince and Nourie Hadig.

The now-pregnant slave-queen demands (at the impetus of Zoza's fairy gifts) that her husband tell her stories, or else she would crush the unborn child. The husband hires ten female storytellers to keep her amused; disguised among them is Zoza. Each tells five stories, most of which are more suitable to courtly, rather than juvenile, audiences. The Moorish woman's treachery is revealed in the final story (related, suitably, by Zoza), and she is buried, pregnant, up to her neck in the ground and left to die. Zoza and the Prince live happily ever after.

Many of these fairy tales are the oldest known variants in existence.[6]

The fairy tales are:

The First Day
"The Tale of the Ogre"
"The Myrtle"
"Peruonto"
"Vardiello"
"The Flea"
"Cenerentola" – translated in english as Cinderella
"The Merchant"
"Goat-Face"
"The Enchanted Doe"
"The Three Sisters"
The Second Day
"Parsley" – a variant of Rapunzel
"Green Meadow"
"Violet"
"Pippo" – a variant of Puss In Boots
"The Snake"
"The She-Bear" – a variant of Allerleirauh
"The Dove" – a variant of Snow-White-Fire-Red
"The Young Slave" – a variant of Snow White
"The Padlock"
"The Buddy"
The Third Day
"Cannetella"
"Penta of the Chopped-off Hands" – a variant of The Girl Without Hands
"Face"
"Sapia Liccarda"
"The Cockroach, the Mouse, and the Cricket"
"The Garlic Patch"
"Corvetto"
"The Booby"
"Rosella"
"The Three Fairies"
The Fourth Day
"The Stone in the Cock's Head"
"The Two Brothers"
"The Three Enchanted Princes"
"The Seven Little Pork Rinds"
"The Dragon"
"The Three Crowns"
"The Two Cakes" – a variant of Diamonds and Toads
"The Seven Doves" – a variant of The Seven Ravens
"The Raven"
"Pride Punished" – a variant of King Thrushbeard
The Fifth Day
"The Goose
"The Months"
"Pintosmalto"
"The Golden Root" – a variant of Cupid and Psyche
"Sun, Moon, and Talia" – a variant of Sleeping Beauty
"Sapia"
"The Five Sons"
"Nennillo and Nennella" – a variant of Brother and Sister
"The Three Citrons" – a variant of The Love for Three Oranges

Never even heard of the text. Interesting to me at the very least.

RichC2 05-05-15 02:56 PM

Re: The Tale of Tales (2015, D: Matteo Garrone)(S: S. Hayek, V. Cassel, etc.)

Gomorrah was tremendously well received. Never saw it though.

inri222 05-05-15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12472959)
Never saw the director's work before.

You need to check this out, great film :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SX425_.jpg

Solid Snake 05-05-15 02:57 PM

Shit. I forgot about that. I thought it was some other Gomorrah. Lol. Damn good, BD.

Ash Ketchum 05-05-15 03:00 PM

Salma Hayek has had a really interesting career, hasn't she? When we saw her in DESPERADO and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN nearly 20 years ago, did we have any idea she'd become a favorite of arthouse directors? Compare her career with that of Jennifer Lopez. The two emerged in leading film roles around the same time and they're three years apart in age (J-Lo younger). Although, to be honest, J-Lo's been less interested in a film career, with more effort paid to her fashion line and music, I guess.

E Unit 04-22-16 08:33 AM

Just saw the trailer. Odd. And bits of nudity, so don't be watching this in church or a daycare.

Spoiler:

Solid Snake 04-22-16 08:57 AM

I really wish we didn't treat sexuality and nudity so negatively. It's really not a big deal. But those goddamn culturally prudish pieces of shit think it's the damnation of us all...

I grew up watching nude women in movies all the time from the stuff I saw coming from Latin America. Most of it was exploitation of the era but even w/ the more mainstream stuff.. it wasn't such a taboo.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12472972)
Salma Hayek has had a really interesting career, hasn't she? When we saw her in DESPERADO and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN nearly 20 years ago, did we have any idea she'd become a favorite of arthouse directors? Compare her career with that of Jennifer Lopez. The two emerged in leading film roles around the same time and they're three years apart in age (J-Lo younger). Although, to be honest, J-Lo's been less interested in a film career, with more effort paid to her fashion line and music, I guess.

If she stayed in Mexico... she probably would have had a solid career there based on how she was already rolling there.

E Unit 04-22-16 09:15 AM

I concur, I never thought nudity, especially on this level was bad. But since we are overall squeamish about it on here, I spoiler-ed it.

J-Lo picked shit stuff after Out of Sight. Had she picked movies like that, she'd still be in good movies. But she didn't, so she had to do the fashion/music crap.

Why So Blu? 04-28-16 08:40 PM

May give this a watch. It's on Amazon to rent in HD.

RichC2 04-28-16 08:47 PM

I liked this movie, it was just really fucking bizarre, but it worked for me.

mrhan 05-06-16 03:21 PM

^ Yup. Cool flick. I want to watch this again with La Belle et La Bête. It would make a cool double feature.

james2025a 08-22-16 06:01 PM

Just watched it today and really enjoyed it. Really well made and on a low budget. Looked fantastic. Just shows what can be done using great locations. It's funny as I wasn't a huge fan of Gomorrah.