DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Skin Trade (2015) (d: Uekrongtham, S: Perlman, Jaa, Lundgren, White) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626460-skin-trade-2015-d-uekrongtham-s-perlman-jaa-lundgren-white.html)

RichC2 04-23-15 09:58 AM

Skin Trade (2015) (d: Uekrongtham, S: Perlman, Jaa, Lundgren, White)

Felt like this deserved a thread, from the director of Beautiful Boxer from a script co-written by a chemical engineer (Mr. Dolph Lundgren). Technically a 2014 flick, this gets its US release on May 8th, 2015. It's also available as a "Rent it before it hits theaters" for $10 - $12 on the VOD/Digital Platform of your choice.

Starring: Ron Perlman, Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren, Celina Jade, Michael Jai White, and Peter Weller

Synopsis: After his family is killed by a Serbian gangster with international interests. NYC detective Nick goes to S.E. Asia and teams up with a Thai detective to get revenge and destroy the syndicates human trafficking network.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U-Dhags2_Yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I mean there is absolutely no way this is bad.

robin2099 04-23-15 10:48 AM

Re: Skin Trade (2015) (d: Uekrongtham, S: Perlman, Jaa, Lundgren, White)

Wait, so this is on VOD now? I've been looking forward to it for awhile. Dolph's been wanting to do this movie for a long time and all his movie's that he directed were pretty decent. I'd actually like to see him get a bigger budget theatrical release to work with.

RichC2 04-23-15 11:31 AM

Correct! It is currently available to rent.

robin2099 04-24-15 10:19 PM

Just watched this tonight. Overall I liked it a lot. It somewhat took Dolph back to his days as The Punisher in terms of the plot. It also is the first movie post Taken which focuses on sex trafficking and is actually worth a damn. You can tell that Dolph is really serious about the issue and it has some significance other than being a plot device. It had some good action scenes as well with the fight between MJW and Tony Jaa being the scene stealer. My biggest gripe is that a big plot twist comes to light in the last fifteen minutes and isn't resolved by the end and it makes you go what the hell?

Overall I would give it a 4/5. Definitely see this if your a fan of Lundgren, Jaa, or Michael. Easily Dolph's best direct to video movie since probably Command Performance.

E Unit 04-24-15 10:22 PM

I'm a fan of them, but I'll wait a few months and watch it on regular cable. Doesn't seem like it'll take that long to get there.

DJariya 04-27-15 12:55 PM

Just saw this on demand last night via XBox Video. Paid $10 to see it. I really enjoyed it. Lots of action, fast and frenetic and loved seeing Jaa fight Michael Jai White. Thought this was one of Dolph Lundgren's better straight to video action movies. I also liked that most of the film was shot on location in Thailand. Jaa actually spoke a little english in this as well.

This is a Thai-Canadian co-production and I thought the production value for this was pretty good. Didn't look as cheap as some of Jaa's other action movies from Thailand with the super goofy CGI.

Definitely recommended if you're a fan of international action/martial arts movies. The ending was a little vague though. They sort of left it open for interpretation. At first I thought they may have left it open for a sequel, but then I began to think the storyline of this movie & real life topic about Child sex trafficking doesn't really have a true happy ending for most families.

EddieMoney 04-27-15 01:25 PM

$10-$12 to rent is a bit much for me. Looks like something I'd enjoy though.

RocShemp 04-27-15 01:30 PM

I'll wait for it to hit Netflix but I really wanna see it and like the cast.

robin2099 04-27-15 07:02 PM

$10-$12 to rent is a bit much for me. Looks like something I'd enjoy though.
It'll drop. It's "Ultra VOD" right now. Meaning that people who want to see it before it's limited theatrical release like me and DJ are willing to pay a premium to watch it before that release.

At first I thought they may have left it open for a sequel, but then I began to think the storyline of this movie & real life topic about Child sex trafficking doesn't really have a true happy ending for most families.
I didn't think about it that way but your most likely right. Still in a post Taken world, it's hard for that ending not to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

hanshotfirst1138 04-27-15 07:36 PM

I assume it'll trickle down to video eventually.

RichC2 04-27-15 08:36 PM

It's Magnet, it'll be on Netflix inside 6 months.