Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

IT WAS FANTASTIC.

The animation is incredible, the story is really cool, the characters are really well written, it’s funny and clever as hell.

Just an amazing movie - one of the best animated films of recent memory. I want 5 more movies with these characters.
Old 12-13-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

Holy shit, just got back, and it was fucking phenomenal! One of the best films of the year and the animation was killer!
Old 12-14-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Was this in response to Captain Carrot?
Huh??
Old 12-14-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Huh??
What??? You don't know about Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew???

I had all those issues and the entire Spider-Ham series (including Marvel Tails).

Old 12-14-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What??? You don't know about Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew???

I had all those issues and the entire Spider-Ham series (including Marvel Tails).

I know about Captain Carrott. I was just confused aout Devilshalo question when he asked if my mentioning Peter Porker and Marvel Tails was in response to Captain Carrott.
Old 12-14-18, 09:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone seen this in 3d yet? Is this worth seeing in 3d vs 2d?
Old 12-14-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I plan to see this in Prime 3D at my local AMC this weekend. The trailers looked made for 3D so I was assuming the 3D might actually be good. Haven't read anything on it yet though.
Old 12-14-18, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw it in IMAX 3-D. Nah, I wasn't particularly impressed by the 3-D.

The film, however, impressed me quite a bit. And that's speaking as a Spider-Man non-fan and sometimes hater. Definitely belongs on the best of 2018 list. Really surprised me.
Old 12-14-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I know about Captain Carrott. I was just confused aout Devilshalo question when he asked if my mentioning Peter Porker and Marvel Tails was in response to Captain Carrott.
Just as I asked, did Marvel come up with Peter Porker as a response to Captain Carrot?
Old 12-14-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I was planning on seeing this in 3D today, but no showings are listing as so (As well as anything else that’s optioned in 3D) It looks as if my nearest theater has completely abandoned the format. Which really should not come as a surprise since (In the last couple of the 3D showings I went to) there were never no more than 10 people in attendance.

Anyway, Given all the praise, I can’t wait to see this!
Old 12-14-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was planning on seeing this in 3D today, but no showings are listing as so (As well as anything else that’s optioned in 3D) It looks as if my nearest theater has completely abandoned the format. Which really should not come as a surprise since (In the last couple of the 3D showings I went to) there were never no more than 10 people in attendance.

It almost looks 3D without being in 3D - things in the background have hazy or double outlines. It's really striking and cool.

Last edited by Draven; 12-14-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And in some scenes depending on if they're light/dark scenes have pits/textures as if the images had been drawn on textured paper. It's really badass.
Old 12-14-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

That movie was nuts.

And I loved that Aunt May was
Spoiler:
basically Peter's "Q".
Old 12-14-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Just as I asked, did Marvel come up with Peter Porker as a response to Captain Carrot?
They have never admitted it, though Spider-ham came out the year after Captain Carrot debuted in New Teen Titans.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/spid...er-porker.html

According to this article, it was Larry Hama and Tom DeFalco, who started discussing the rumor that Marvel was going to open it's own direct market comic shops (they weren't), with them ruminating that the only way they could do so was if they had a bunch of plush toys, and for that they needed funny animal characters.

There was a long tradition of so-called “funny animal” comics stretching back to the 19th century and wending through masterpieces like Carl Barks’s take on Donald Duck and George Herriman’s iconic “Krazy Kat” strips. That said, the genre had largely gone extinct long before the ’80s, meaning a Peter Porker book might be a hard sell. On the other hand, Marvel was in an experimental mode in those days: Eternal rival DC had found success with the Superman films, whereas Marvel had been so cavalier with its licensing arrangements that it was powerless to get its own adaptations off the ground. “There was all this talk at Marvel at the time about, ‘Maybe we should create new stuff that isn’t already mortgaged,’” recalls Hama, who had a great deal of experience with humor comics, having been editor of Marvel’s Mad magazine knockoff Crazy. “There was a renaissance of new stuff all of a sudden. It was easy to do a two-issue or four-issue mini-series. That was your trial balloon.” Emboldened, the pair went to speak with Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter.

“We walked into Jim Shooter’s office and said, ‘We wanna come out with a one-shot comic book,’” DeFalco says. “We proposed [Spider-Ham] to Shooter, who was used to us coming to him with all sorts of nonsense. Jim, true to form, was like, ‘If I say yes, will you get out of my office?’ We said, ‘Yeah!’ He signed off on it and we started work on the comic book.”
The bolded part has nothing to do with this but just a reminder how opposite things were back in the day when it came to marvel and DC properties. Also, their plan to get plushes approved failed. They made a one-shot, but it wasn't until Marvel decided to go into kids (like younger kids) comics with their Star imprint that the character got his own series.

Also, years before, Scott Shaw, the co-creator of Captain Carrot, wrote a backup in a What If issue with a spider being bitten by a radioactive scientist and gaining the proportionate abilities of a human, beocming Man-Spider, and fighting anthropomorphic versions of Spidey villains, though I think that's just coincidence.
Old 12-14-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This is geared for $35m this weekend after a $3.5m preview last night. That's alright, but I think it'll get a bigger than normal boost during matinees tomorrow.
Old 12-14-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I got my tickets for this tomorrow with my son at one of these: https://www.harkins.com/cine1

Never been, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-14-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought you were asking if what I wrote was in response to what you were writing about Captain Carrot.

It's possible. I don't think their were many funny animal comics out by the big two at that time. I can't remember, was Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew a spoof of the JLA?
Old 12-14-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

It's possible. I don't think their were many funny animal comics out by the big two at that time. I can't remember, was Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew a spoof of the JLA?
While I figured it was kind of a spoof on the JLA, I thought Capt. Carrot as well as Rubber Duck resembled Bugs and Daffy.
Old 12-14-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

The only 3D IMAX showing here is at 10pm. 3D in general does seem to be dying out.

Wife and daughter are going out of town, so I had planned on a Spider-Man / Mortal Engines double feature ... I just wasn’t planning for it to be a late one. I can catch them both in IMAX 3D if I make it a late night. Trying to determine if the 3D is worth it (so far, we have one “no” here).
Old 12-14-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

This movie was great.

Loved the style of halftoning like a comic from the 70’s and earlier.

Backgrounds appearing as if the comic typesetting was done incorrectly.

Everything was great.

Although I’m not sure who the two Peter Parkers are in respect to comics and movies.
I guess one was the Raimi movie-verse and one the Comic book version?

There was a death in this movie that knocked me for a serious loop.

Spoiler:

My favorite sequence was the fight SM had with Green Goblin.
That was a massive fight.
If I remember there was no music during that, just the sound effects of the fight.

The death of Spider-man was truly brutal and shocking to me.
In movies and comics you never actually see the villain do exactly what Kingpin did.
He came in after SM was beaten down and after Peter told Miles that it’s fine I always get up.
He couldn’t and it was becoming clear what was about to happen while Kingpin was talking to him.
Peter was pummeled and murdered in one crushing blow.

Kingpin was a mountain of a man and other then his head being to far down on his torso I loved it. My favorite Kingpin version ever.

This deserves to be near the top of the list of Spider-man and super hero movies
Old 12-14-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Work outing to see this today... a lot of fun! You could tell this was truly made by fans for the fans....I admired the bold decisions, both story and in the art direction. I'm not a huge spidey comic follower...I know about the Miles character but that was about it...I did feel a bit lost at times watching the film, I'm not sure this can really break out beyond the fan crowd...but we'll see. I haven't seen Incredibles2 yet....but I'd like to see this take the best animated oscar.
Old 12-14-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Just saw this in a Dolby Cinema. Looks great. So fun to see something new in digital animation. Didn't totally follow it all, but it was a fun watch. I liked it better than Incredibles 2 or Ralph Breaks the Internet. Cool to see this shortly after playing the Playstation 4 game (synergy!) that also prominently features Peter Parker interacting with Miles Morales.

Speaking of which : If Miles' dad is named Jefferson Davis, shouldn't he be Miles Davis? He was Kind Of Blue.
Old 12-15-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m impressed that Nicolas Cage got to play Spider-Man and Superman in the same year.
Old 12-15-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Speaking of which : If Miles' dad is named Jefferson Davis, shouldn't he be Miles Davis? He was Kind Of Blue.
That got me curious, since I'm reading the Miles Morales comic books and it hadn't mentioned it yet, but I searching online people have mentioned 2 explanations.

1) His Dad had a criminal past in the comics and wanted to distance himself from the name.
2) Miles has introduced himself as Miles Davis but doesn't like to say that because of the musician.

Not sure what's definitive, sounds like the comics never really address it?
Old 12-15-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Got to see this. Holy fucking shit was that a fantastic movie. That might be one of the best superhero movies ever. So the animation style took some getting used to. I didn't like that things in the background were intentionally blurry/obscure. I get the artistic style of it, but I wasn't a fan of that. However, the way it was made, basically made it seem like an animated comic book. It was really impressive, especially with all the on screen titles for things like noises and such. It had great heart. I don't really know much about the Miles Morales character outside of generally stuff, but they really did a good job with the backstory for him. The fight sequences were epic and very well done. They made The Prowler a really menacing villain. The stand-outs were Spider-Ham and Noir Spider-man, although every time I heard Spider-Ham, I could only heard Andrew Glouberman from Big Mouth.

The soundtrack/effects really stood out, too. Specifically during the fight scenes and moreso when The Prowler was on screen. It really made it those moments feel tense.

At this point, I really don't have any problem declaring this the best movie I've seen this year. It was that good.

Also, the after credit scene at the end was superb.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.