Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
9.76%
12.20%
38.21%
25.20%
9.76%
2.44%
1.63%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Avengers: Age of Cash Grab!
0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
So did any one else get the feeling the Vision will be the MCU version of Adam Warlock? Considering he has the gem and made remarks to the effect that he's pure and so forth.
Wasn't Warlock's cocoon shown briefly in Guardians of the Galaxy?

It's been speculated that Adam Warlock in be in GotG 2, I believe.
Old 05-03-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll probably see it again but after the first viewing today I was not really impressed. VERY thin plot, and they basically made Ultron a cartoon character. Just way too much going on, and not enough exposition on anything. Hawkeye was useless in this movie, his story could be gone. Hulk/BW love story was stupid and a waste of time. Just really kind of a boring action movie. Not really sorry to see Whedon go for the Infinity War, I think that it will probably be better written than A2 was.
Old 05-03-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Hawkeye was useless in this movie, his story could be gone.
If they movie had a heart, it was Hawkeye.
Old 05-04-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wasn't Warlock's cocoon shown briefly in Guardians of the Galaxy?

It's been speculated that Adam Warlock in be in GotG 2, I believe.
In what scene?
Old 05-04-15, 01:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised at how many people are saying this is as good as the first Avengers. I honestly thought this was one of the weakest MCU films to date, but I'm hoping an extended cut can flesh it out and make it feel less disjointed and rushed. Honestly, so much was going on so quickly that nothing had any heft. Ultron was so disappointingly not threatening, compared to how vicious and ruthless he is in the comics. I hope they didn't really eradicate him and one gets away to vex the GotG.

The Vision was the highlight for me. They nailed him, although his birth scene was far too rushed and the true extent of his power went unmentioned.

I'm guessing they'll still have all the original Avengers back for the Infinity War, and the new Avengers we see at the end of this one will be peppered through the phase 3 movies. I'm hopeful that the next phase films won't all be as uneven as this one.
Old 05-04-15, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Saw it today and was forced to see a 3D showing because the next 2D showing was sold out.

I thought it was alright. I gave it 3 1/2 out of 5 mainly for the visuals and action. But, storywise, the plot was really thin as mentioned countless times here. Was not impressed with the 3D. I wish I could have seen a 2D showing and saved the 4 extra bucks.

Not impressed with Ultron as the big baddie. Thought he was the weakest MCU villain so far. I almost felt like I was watching The Avengers vs. Raymond Reddington. I think he needed a more sinister voice. Love James Spader, but IMO he was the wrong guy to voice Ultron. Spader's sarcasm and snarkiness is better suited for Reddington on The Blacklist.

Anyways, I was really confused with how Romanoff was so attracted to Banner. That to me came totally out of left field and felt really out of place. After seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier, with her being such a prominent character in that film, I thought she had more chemistry and attraction to Rogers. The CGI team did do a good job covering up Scar Jo's real life pregnancy during the filming.

I'm interested in seeing how Agents of SHIELD on Tuesday ties in their story as the follow up to these events.

It was a fun time overall, but the movie was a little long-winded and disjointed. Looking forward to seeing what The Russo Bros. do with the next installments. I think it's a good idea that Marvel moves on from Whedon.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-04-15 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The Vision was the highlight for me. They nailed him, although his birth scene was far too rushed and the true extent of his power went unmentioned.
I know nothing of the comics, but what had been talked about led me to believe he was this all-powerful being that was no match for anyone. On screen, he just seemed on par with Thor - strong, can fly, can shoot a beam at people.

I'm guessing Phase 3 will build them up, but the new Avengers at the end were a little underwhelming. I'm still having a hard time taking Don Cheadle seriously as a superhero.

Did Hulk crash the jet and go into hiding? I thought what Fury said was a little vague. There was a rumor started by a blogger who visited the set that the jet flew Hulk out into space and that he may show up in a GotG movie. In the context of the movie, though, that seems a little out there.
Old 05-04-15, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In what scene?
It's in the Collector's collection.

Old 05-04-15, 07:38 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw it yesterday in Imax 3D -- i loved it. I like how they built up Hawkeye abit more and now doesn't seem like the lame avenger. I thought Vision was pretty cool, but he didn't really seem like an all powerful being. I need to read his back story, i really know nothing about him other than what was in the movie. Why was he able to pick up mjolnir(sp?)
Old 05-04-15, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I know nothing of the comics, but what had been talked about led me to believe he was this all-powerful being that was no match for anyone. On screen, he just seemed on par with Thor - strong, can fly, can shoot a beam at people.

I'm guessing Phase 3 will build them up, but the new Avengers at the end were a little underwhelming. I'm still having a hard time taking Don Cheadle seriously as a superhero.

Did Hulk crash the jet and go into hiding? I thought what Fury said was a little vague. There was a rumor started by a blogger who visited the set that the jet flew Hulk out into space and that he may show up in a GotG movie. In the context of the movie, though, that seems a little out there.
That's a real fucking big goddamn stretch. The big rumor before was that Hulk was sent into space. That didn't go down. After what happened in South Africa, even Hulk didn't know wtf was going on. Seems like the merging of Banner into Hulk is becoming a steadier thing. I was actually amazed that Hulk shut off the communication w/ a button press.

I still don't see how people don't see that this one was better than the first one. I love the first one but this one doesn't have the issues that Avengers did.
Old 05-04-15, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i saw it yesterday in Imax 3D -- i loved it. I like how they built up Hawkeye abit more and now doesn't seem like the lame avenger. I thought Vision was pretty cool, but he didn't really seem like an all powerful being. I need to read his back story, i really know nothing about him other than what was in the movie. Why was he able to pick up mjolnir(sp?)
In the comic, he was a creation of Ultron that turned on his creator.

I think based on what Vision said... he was worthy. He just wasn't who I want to see lift Mjolnir. Ultron is for death while Vision is for life. Absolutes.
Old 05-04-15, 08:30 AM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
So did any one else get the feeling the Vision will be the MCU version of Adam Warlock? Considering he has the gem and made remarks to the effect that he's pure and so forth.
Absolutely thought about that.
Spoiler:
And more so I figure it has got to come out of the Vision's head eventually, so does this become the reset, is this what will make the Scarlet Witch go bonkers and say "no more enhanced", or no more Thanos, something along those lines.
Old 05-04-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave it a 3.5: good, but not great. There was simply too much going on and too many characters to flesh anything out. I also found almost everybody in the movie other than Hawkeye and Black Widow to be completely unlikable. It definitely wasn't as charming or fun as the first movie IMO.

I thought Ultron's origin was kind of lame, and he was way too slapstick...and not funny to boot. And I love that the Avengers almost destroy the world and certainly get a LOT of people killed, but I guess they still get to be heroes. What?

The highlights were the fight in the church and yeah, they got me with the hammer bit.
Old 05-04-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Is the 3D worth the extra coin?
Old 05-04-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
Is the 3D worth the extra coin?
Nope, not even close.
Old 05-04-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd actually like to know what the per-screen attendance was for 3D vs 2D, as the Sunday matinee 2D showing I went to had a sizable line 45 minutes before the show, where as the 3D showing that was about to be let in had about half the size of the line of the 2D show.
Old 05-04-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder what happened to rumors this film would end with the superhero registration act going into effect? For all the future planning Marvel loves to drop into their films they did a weak job of getting Civil War set up. Stark and Rogers weren't exactly cold to each other once the credits rolled.
Old 05-04-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Nope, not even close.
thank you.
Old 05-04-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the cocoon reference pics. So Adam Warlock is birthed from that thing? I'm rusty on my Warlock knowledge.
Old 05-04-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I wonder what happened to rumors this film would end with the superhero registration act going into effect? For all the future planning Marvel loves to drop into their films they did a weak job of getting Civil War set up. Stark and Rogers weren't exactly cold to each other once the credits rolled.
I think the "civil war" in the movies is going have to be very different than the one in the comics. Main reason being, a "registration" made sense as there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of super-powered beings in the comics, most of them with secret identities. In the movie universe, there's really just a handful of super-powered beings, with very few, if any, with secret identities. Even bringing in Spider-Man won't really change things by then. So I think it's going to have to be a bit different, maybe Steve and Tony clashing on how to best control people with power.
Old 05-04-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Don't forget about all of the super-powered people in Agents of Shield. I think that show's logic sets us up for thousands of people.
Old 05-04-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, in Winter Soldier that device at the end was locked on all superhero beings in New York and the monitor screens that had the targets looked like there were more than just a few.
Old 05-04-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw it over the weekend and even though I have a few complains of my own, I really can not see how anybody could not enjoy this

My favorite part of the first one was the interactions, arguments, and team work within the Avengers which this movie has a lot more. So for that reason alone I'm pretty satisfied. Anything else is just extra stuff
Old 05-04-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just realized that Hawkeye's arc in this was pretty much a happier version of the same charter-arc that Renner had in Hurt Locker.
Old 05-04-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I was completely into this movie until the final fight which I thought went on too long and had too many "let's save all the people" moments. (And I'm a bit weary of Marvel's "have their cake and eat it too" style of depicting overwhelming levels of destruction, yet no civilian bystanders ever get killed.)

And I'm not sure the movie did a good job communicating that the main reason Ultron was lifting that citywide mass of land into the sky was to then drop it and let gravity take over, so that it would hit and cause an extinction level event just like a large meteor impact.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.