Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
9.76%
12.20%
38.21%
25.20%
9.76%
2.44%
1.63%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Avengers: Age of Cash Grab!
0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Old 04-28-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

It could simply be that the critics are being more "honest" this time around. As much as I enjoy The Avengers, it's not by any means great. The first 40+ minutes are a chore (despite a few amusing moments sprinkled throughout) and the movie doesn't feel like it's actually going anywhere until Thor finally shows up. I think 74% is a more honest appraisal of it than the 92% it received. So perhaps AoU is in fact equal to its predecessor.
Old 04-29-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I must say that again, while I liked it quite a lot, it does fill me with trepidation they're overstuffing these things. This one definitely felt a bit too cluttered with characters (some barely get more than cameos) and it's kind of got me worried they'll go over the cliff with INFINITY WAR, especially if they start tossing things like Spider-Man, GotG and Defenders in the mix. Much as I enjoy the old Crisis on Infinite Earths / Secret Wars type of superhero mass gatherings, I'm really wondering how well that will translate to live action.
Old 04-30-15, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It opened in South Africa last week Friday. Saw it on Tuesday, in 3D, during a morning screening. So it was wonderfully quiet, only about 20 people. And they all behaved. That was awesome! lol

We enjoyed it. Of course there wasn't the "wow", "awesome", "this is what superhero movies are supposed to be about" of the first one. Which might be a reason for not so positive reviews. It's not such a bang, it's more of a, we've done the bang, this is us, and this is what we're doing now, which does contain a bit of a bang. Not all bad. For me it seemed like each character had changed at least a little. They are not quite the same people from the first movie.

Is it cluttered? Well there is a lot going on, and it moves quite quickly through some scenes, while others seem to have been given more time. Almost like they were thinking, "if we rush this they'll think we just put it in as a filler". Are there fillers? If I'm honest, yes. Does it hurt the movie? Sort of, but maybe not as much as you'd think. Also, what else could they have added in? More Ultron? Okay, yes please!

Absolutely loved James Spader as Ultron, could have listened to him yap a bit more. Enjoyed the Twins more than I thought I would. Humour was there, and some typical Joss here's-the-opening-of-the-joke-and-here's-the-reversed-punch-line-much-later Whedon

Anything iffy? Yes. Wasn't sold on some of the character interactions, you'll know what I mean when you see it, and the quick fix, here's your motivation, wasn't really needed. But we can nit and pick over the ifs, buts, and maybes, once everyone has seen it.

Overall we enjoyed, we'll see it again, and will be buying the BR when it's released. So it's a yes, go see it. There's action galore, it's fun, it's Avengers and dammit it's really loud in parts.
Old 04-30-15, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Two-star review in the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2015/04/28/avenger...e-blockbuster/
Old 04-30-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Any backlash for Avengers 2 will only affect Avengers 3...it won't have much of an effect on the box office take for this release. As others have said, it's a pretty much a sure-fire hit. The Avengers could stand up there and whistle for two hours and it would make a billion.

The first Avengers relied heavily on the fact that the audience had seen the other Marvel movies, and I suspect this one will be much of the same. They're not so much complete movies as they are culminations of the events of the stand-alone films that preceded them.
Old 04-30-15, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Any backlash for Avengers 2 will only affect Avengers 3...
It could affect all of the phase 3 movies. All of the phase 2 movies had higher box offices than the phase 1 movies (minus Avengers).

Iron Man 2 was the highest grossing phase 1 movie (minus Avengers) at $623 million worldwide.
Thor: The Dark World was the lowest grossing phase 2 movie at $644 million worldwide.
Old 04-30-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Certainly doubt that it'll deter anyone.
Old 04-30-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

4/5 star review in the New York Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2197933
Old 04-30-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's up to 74% with 171 reviews.
Old 04-30-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought Iron Man 3 was a massive improvement over #2.
100% agreed.

IM3 had some really good stuff in it, seems like it has hints to the AOU with all of the remote control IronMen around.
Old 04-30-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Speaking as a huge MCU fan, I was a little "meh" on this one. I thought the Maximoff twins were a flat line and the script and performances did little to make me connect with them. The other new Avenger was the highlight of the movie for me and I look forward to seeing more of that character. The rest of the Avengers were just sort of there and didn't really grow or change by the end of the film -- though Stark's actions are bound to have ramifications down the line.

The action scenes - especially during the finale - were so chaotic that my brain just started glazing over. Also, the Whedon quips (which I normally love) were bordering on overkill. I felt they hurt the tension anytime the script attempted to venture into serious/dangerous territory. Still worth seeing on the big screen, but I found the first one much more entertaining.

Originally Posted by islandclaws
What's kinda bumming me out is that I'm hearing there are no real big fist-pumping moments here, like the "Puny god" or "I'm always angry" from the first.
Spoiler:
"Go to sleep! Go to sleep! Go to sleep! Go to sleep!" - That bit with Tony rapidly punching Hulk in the face got a great reaction at my showing.

Also, some guy in the audience shouted "HOLY SHIT!" when The Vision handed Thor his hammer. Then another dude yelled out "LANGUAGE!". That little callback to Cap's new catchphrase got a bigger laugh from the crowd than anything we saw on screen.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-30-15 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
100% agreed.

IM3 had some really good stuff in it, seems like it has hints to the AOU with all of the remote control IronMen around.
I always assumed that the suit that awoke and attacked Pepper in IM3 wasn't actually due to Tony's PTSD but actually an early hint at Ultron. I'm assuming that does not play out that way in AoU (which I've yet to see).
Old 04-30-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

For all the talk about it being his age, there was a disappointing lack of Voltron in the new Avengers movie.
Old 04-30-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
What the hell was the point of killing Quicksilver other than shock value? We're going to have one of "the twins?" That's incredibly stupid.

Spader was the ace in the hole. He was fantastic.

DOFP was better. I'll stand by it.
Old 04-30-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

LOVED IT. The first one still holds 1st place just because it was new, but this was the "dark second chapter" through and through and I couldn't get enough.

Loved the shit out of Scarlet Witch. She's close to bumping off Black Widow for my top spot, but she had some great stuff in this too.

Ultron was fantastic. The Vision was a highlight and there were some awesome battle scenes showing everyone working together.

Just loved it. Can't wait to go back!

Last edited by Draven; 04-30-15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it. It was a fun ride but not much story, and felt rather cramped and rushed. They may have gone overboard on the jokes.

IMO Hawkeye was the scene stealer this time instead of Hulk. Vision was great.

11 movies in and things are starting to feel too familiar. But the final scene with Cap has potential.

While Ultron and his quips were good, he didn't feel very threatening. If he was all over the net it would have been nice to see some destruction/havoc on a global scale. Instead he lifts some land in the air straight out of Superman Returns.

This is a mixed bag for me that needs to settle for a bit.

Last edited by stingermck; 04-30-15 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Spoiler:
What the hell was the point of killing Quicksilver other than shock value? We're going to have one of "the twins?" That's incredibly stupid.
Spoiler:
I assume (and hope) they'll have her bring Pietro back from the dead in a future movie since we probably won't be seeing Wonder Man any time soon.
Old 04-30-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My guess is it has to do with the Fox/X-men issue. Marvel announced that Quicksilver would be in Avengers, then Fox put him in X-MenOFP. It was probably too late to cut the character, but Marvel has recently made a habit of not hyping or promoting the X-characters any more than they have to. I'd guess they were stuck using him, but decided not to in the future.

My biggest gripe: the missed opportunity for a Thor "we would have words with thee" line to Ultron.
Old 04-30-15, 11:09 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Quicksilver's death is kinda meaningless considering there is
Spoiler:
Project T.A.H.I.T.I.
Old 04-30-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Spoiler:
Quicksilver's death is kinda meaningless considering there is
Spoiler:
Project T.A.H.I.T.I.
Unless...
Spoiler:
That's how they finally "reveal" that Coulson is alive.
Old 05-01-15, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Regarding Quicksilver

Spoiler:
While it really surprised me that they killed him, let's be honest here. He isn't nearly as important to Avengers lore as Wanda. Wanda is a mainstay, and Pietro has rarely been back since his initial run with the team.
Old 05-01-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Regarding Quicksilver

Spoiler:
While it really surprised me that they killed him, let's be honest here. He isn't nearly as important to Avengers lore as Wanda. Wanda is a mainstay, and Pietro has rarely been back since his initial run with the team.
indeed,
Spoiler:
in the comics he seems to have been a traitor or a villain at least half the time in recent years. He wasn't a huge player in the movie, but I did like the actor's take on him, which felt more true to the comics version than the one in X-Men did. Frankly, I felt the entire movie someone was going to get aced in the end, and I worried they were setting it up too blatantly to be Hawkeye ("one last job and I'll go spend time with the wife and kids - ARGGGH")
Old 05-01-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it. Overall, I liked it. However, it was pretty obvious that some stuff was cut. I would have liked more exploration of the bromance between Stark and Banner, as well as more of Banner and Widow. Each of them could merit a whole movie IMO. The action in this one was good, but this was definitely more character driven than the previous Avengers movie. Whedon took an Empire Strikes Back approach, and I applaud him for daring to be different. I also liked that Hawkeye got a much larger role, almost becoming the POV character for the audience. Of course the best part of the movie was Spader. I think Ultron is the strongest MCU villain to date, though one could argue that isn't too hard to accomplish. I actually felt like the movie gave off an 80s ensemble drama vibe at times, and Spader as the villain is kind of icing on the cake.
My only major gripe
Spoiler:
Quicksilver's death seemed kind of like an obligatory piece of writing from Whedon. Build a character , get people to like them, then kill them off for no reason other than for the sake of killing them . Also, I don't think the "New Avengers" roster is going to hack it. Nothing against the actors, but I just don't see them garnering the same interest as the originals.
Old 05-01-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I must say that again, while I liked it quite a lot, it does fill me with trepidation they're overstuffing these things. This one definitely felt a bit too cluttered with characters (some barely get more than cameos) and it's kind of got me worried they'll go over the cliff with INFINITY WAR, especially if they start tossing things like Spider-Man, GotG and Defenders in the mix. Much as I enjoy the old Crisis on Infinite Earths / Secret Wars type of superhero mass gatherings, I'm really wondering how well that will translate to live action.
I definitely will also agree with the over-stuffing of characters this time around. While I enjoy seeing new faces pop up in films like this, I felt that the focus got diluted because of the sheer number of stories that needed to be told. I felt like any sort of build-up would get diluted a bit when the film would constantly be character-hopping.

I also felt the tone to me sometimes felt a bit awkward. I loved the first film because I felt like both the humorous nature of parts of the film and the seriousness of it were well balanced. Here, I really don't know how to describe it at the moment. It just felt off.

Those are probably my only two issues with the film after my first viewing. Other than those two quibbles, I enjoyed the rest of the film. I went with a rather large group of people to celebrate one of my best friend's birthday, so it was a great time. Absolutely loved James Spader as Ultron.

Making plans to see it again, maybe at an Early Bird or Matinee to see how it plays on me the second time around.
Old 05-01-15, 01:33 AM
Banned

The Thor in the pond stuff was really terribly handled. Talk about obvious footage left on the cutting room floor and a completely thankless cameo for Stellan Sarsgard (there are a couple of those.)

I wasn't feeling it with the whole romance between Romanov and Banner. Maybe it's the age difference? Ruffalo is only 17 years older than ScarJo. Whatever the reason, there was zero sexual chemistry there. Just didn't work.

Ultron has absolutely nothing on Loki.

--

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.