Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
9.76%
12.20%
38.21%
25.20%
9.76%
2.44%
1.63%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Avengers: Age of Cash Grab!
0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

So we're already spoiling credit sequences in the open?

Spoiler:
Not that I care, I don't care how he got the glove/gauntlet, I just hope it isn't a spoiler for Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Old 04-22-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
So we're already spoiling credit sequences in the open?

Spoiler:
Not that I care, I don't care how he got the glove/gauntlet, I just hope it isn't a spoiler for Guardians of the Galaxy 2
I fixed it. Sorry you had to see that.
Old 04-22-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha no problem, thanks for actually spoilerizing it though.
Old 04-22-15, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't mean for it to show the whole process of how it happens but was wondering if it was where it was last time. Looks like... no. It's neat for a mid credit scene. Nothing special though. Nice little tease.
Old 04-23-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Sadly, most of the positive reviews are also expressing the same, consistent criticisms with the re-tread feeling of much of the films action post first act.
I'm also not seeing the twins singled out much for injecting anything new or fresh into the film. They sound mostly like window dressing. A little disappointed to see that.
Old 04-23-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's kinda bumming me out is that I'm hearing there are no real big fist-pumping moments here, like the "Puny god" or "I'm always angry" from the first.
Old 04-23-15, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fist pumping moments? lol.
Old 04-23-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Old 04-23-15, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why you would expect to read about "fist pumping moments" in a review. Any good reviewer wouldn't spoil that for the reader.

I do remember reading one "fist pumping moment" that a bad reviewer spoiled regarding Vision.

Many reviews have said that Hawkeye steals the show in this movie. So I bet that means he has some "fist pumping moments" too.
Old 04-23-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm not really surprised that there are mixed reviews. It's a highly anticipated sequel to one of the biggest films in recent years and some people were bound to be let down. I feel like it'll be good still.
Old 04-23-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

As I've actually SEEN the movie I can say there's several moments you can pump your fist at if you're into that sort of thing. I think the movie has been so overhyped in some people's minds a la Dark Knight Rises it may disappoint some, but I loved it. It's not revolutionary and there is a slight sense for me anyway that the Marvel approach is getting a wee bit formulaic, but it still delivers - and I can't wait to see it again.
Old 04-23-15, 06:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i don't think i've ever pumped my fist at a movie, but the Dynamite gif is gold!
Old 04-23-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus Christ, you fuckers, I didn't mean literally.
Old 04-23-15, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it last night. Perk of working at a theater. It was solid. Whedon threw everything and the kitchen sink into this thing. More easter eggs than in all previous MCU movies combined.

--
Old 04-23-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
What's kinda bumming me out is that I'm hearing there are no real big fist-pumping moments here, like the "Puny god" or "I'm always angry" from the first.
I disagree.
Old 04-23-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So, my take.

Just as action packed as the first, just as quippy (if not more so), but there's something missing. I've always thought origin stories to be pretty boring because do we need to know more about Spider-man or Batman? We all know the story. But, when done well, they give us insight into the characters and take us on an emotional journey.

This movie does this, but at times it seems like character growth is not as important as the action which is an absolute shame since Whedon has always balanced these two elements really well.

Still exciting, still funny... just a little less heart than the last one. Recommended.
Old 04-23-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The feeling that comes across in the positive reviews is that this is really just a bridge to cross to get to Civil War and the Infinity War films. Consistent criticisms are bloat (due to scenes paving the way to future films ala Iron Man 2); The familiarity of the final battle with hordes of voiceless cannon fodder besieging the heroes; Just a been there, done that feeling to much of the proceedings (formulaic).
I honestly expected Whedon to take this film in a different direction than "more of the same only better".
The first movie was a culmination and felt celebratory because of that aspect. The feeling with this one that is ringing through all the positive reviews is...obligatory.
Like the Chud review, it seems like people are desperately trying to convince themselves they liked the movie more than they did.
Old 04-23-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Spoiler:
Actually, unless they show how Thanos obtained the gauntlet in the next movie then this clip is just a cop-out and a way to get around that wanted exposition. This was a poor choice for a credit scene, in my opinion, as how the gauntlet is obtained and re-assembled is almost as important as what Thanos does with it.

I am sorry for not putting this in spoilers.
Spoiler:
Thanos puts on the golden glove, but without any of the infinity gems. So he doesn't have the Infinity Gauntlet yet. Sadly we won't be getting a true adaptation of The Thanos Quest.
Old 04-24-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The feeling that comes across in the positive reviews is that this is really just a bridge to cross to get to Civil War and the Infinity War films.
This might be my biggest criticism of the MCU right now. It's all about the next movie. These things are just cogs in a giant machine. Someday when it's all over maybe I'll be able to look back and see it as one really grand epic, but for now each individual entry has become sort of disposable to me. It's kind of like really high-budget tv.
Old 04-24-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Saw it last night. Perk of working at a theater. <SNIP> More easter eggs than in all previous MCU movies combined.

--
How are there easter eggs in a theater screening? I thought easter eggs were those things you clicked on when watching a disc. How can you click on them in a theater?
Old 04-24-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
How are there easter eggs in a theater screening? I thought easter eggs were those things you clicked on when watching a disc. How can you click on them in a theater?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media)

"An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword puzzle. The name has been said to evoke the idea of a traditional Easter egg hunt."

Basically, in this case, it means little nods or references (either in the form of dialogue, or something appearing in the background) to Marvel comic stuff that might otherwise go unnoticed by the casual viewer.
Old 04-24-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

easter eggs can also used to reference things like items in the background of a scene. sort of like how they mentioned dr. strange's name in the last captain america movie. nods to the fans that there are links to other things.
Old 04-24-15, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easter eggs are things hidden within a movie that are a hint to the original source material. Nerds will notice them, but everyone else will not.

For example, when Thor wears civilian clothes in his first solo movie, he has a name tag which reads "Donald Blake." That is his secret identity in the comics.

When Wolverine complains about the black costumes in the first X-Men movie, Cyclops says, "Would you prefer yellow spandex?" Wolverine does wear yellow spandex in the comics.

Those are easter eggs.
Old 04-24-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm with Ash and don't consider those easter eggs either, but the term seems to have stuck so I just accept it at this point.
Old 04-24-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Easter eggs are things hidden within a movie that are a hint to the original source material. Nerds will notice them, but everyone else will not.
Thanks for the schooling, guys. Now, does this mean I'm officially NOT a nerd?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.