Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
9.76%
12.20%
38.21%
25.20%
9.76%
2.44%
1.63%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Avengers: Age of Cash Grab!
0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Whedon, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones
Why doesn't shield just Tahiti quicksilver?
It's a magical place.

If Marvel wants to bring Quicksilver back there are ways they can do it.
Old 05-06-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
I thought Project TAHITI was destroyed in the first season of Agents of SHIELD. And Garrett used up the rest of the known supply on himself.
Yeah I'd forgotten about that.
Old 05-06-15, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see Age of Ultron. Going tonight with my honey....I also Just bought SPACESHIP TERROR. Loved it. Low budget with physical effects some 3D stuff but a lot of fun to watch... The girls get it good in this one.
Old 05-06-15, 12:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GrossLover
Can't wait to see Age of Ultron. Going tonight with my honey....I also Just bought SPACESHIP TERROR. Loved it. Low budget with physical effects some 3D stuff but a lot of fun to watch... The girls get it good in this one.
Is that a MCU movie I somehow missed?
Old 05-06-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Thor and Cap with their sonic boom combo happened twice, once in the beginning and end. The twins worked together a lot. Iron Man and Thor at the climax. Thor helping Cap save that woman from falling to her death. I'm sure there's a bunch of others, I've seen it twice now so I noticed a few moments like that.
I've seen it twice too, but things like the Thor/Cap shield combo is the type of thing i'm talking about, not so much things like Iron and Thor at the climax where they're basically separate.

EDIT: Like this, where we see Iron Man bouncing his blaster off Cap's shield, and Thor smashing the thing Hulk jams in the Leviathan. Maybe it's partially because of the way the action is shot in the this movie; I thought the first movie was cleaner and easier to follow where this was more hectic, and I especially like how the camera follows from one fight to another smoothly and ends in a humorous moment. The editing in Ultron felt more disjointed to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Rn3gm_DEdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-06-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 12:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, how is it a story flaw that Nick Fury is still alive? He never died, he just faked his death in Winter Soldier.
Old 05-06-15, 12:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've seen it twice too, but things like the Thor/Cap shield combo is the type of thing i'm talking about, not so much things like Iron and Thor at the climax where they're basically separate.
They weren't holding hands or anything, but they pretty much needed each other, unlike the last movie where the portal had to be destroyed and Iron Man saved the day. Tony even said "Now Thor" or something like that when it was time to do that energy blast or whatever it was.

Okay, Black Widow and Cap taking turns using his shield, Tony and Warmachine helping each other out flying around shooting, Vision borrowing Thor's hammer then gives it back to Thor. Then Shield leftovers showing up to help shoot robots or whatever. But I think I know where you're coming from.
Old 05-06-15, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Wait, how is it a story flaw that Nick Fury is still alive? He never died, he just faked his death in Winter Soldier.
Maybe this is a spoiler for him?
Old 05-06-15, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

But how would it be a spoiler? Fury "dies" in Winter Soldier and is shown to be not actually dead in the same movie. GotG was the only film in between WS and AoU, and there's no mention of Fury in that film. It can't be from watching Agents of SHIELD, because Coulson knows Fury is alive in the show.
Old 05-06-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
[SPOILER]The Avengers wind up facing a group of soulless cannon fodder enemies who can be killed in a strictly PG-13 way in an overblown action climax that looks like Michael Bay bashing action figures together. Again.
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Yep, this was a problem, and showed a lack of creativity.
But weren't all the nameless, faceless robots Ultron? I know they weren't the same as far as body type and skills, but he pretty much was similar to Agent Smith in the Matrix sequels.
Yes. All of the "nameless, faceless robots" were Ultron. How this can be construed as a lack of creativity boggles the mind. In an age where wirelessly networked computers are commonplace, it makes perfect sense that Ultron would exploit such technology to expand his consciousness. It also makes sense from the perspective that Ultron was represented as a reflection of Tony Stark. Just look at how many "nameless, faceless" copies of himself he made with the Iron Legion. Ultron was simply mimicking his "father", but taking it to the next level.

It was also made abundantly clear that they were all Ultron during the final confrontation between the Vision and the last "robot". I don't understand how so many people missed such clear parallels.

Because, admitting that would destroy the "let's all bash Marvel" narrative.
Old 05-06-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They weren't holding hands or anything, but they pretty much needed each other, unlike the last movie where the portal had to be destroyed and Iron Man saved the day. Tony even said "Now Thor" or something like that when it was time to do that energy blast or whatever it was.

Okay, Black Widow and Cap taking turns using his shield, Tony and Warmachine helping each other out flying around shooting, Vision borrowing Thor's hammer then gives it back to Thor. Then Shield leftovers showing up to help shoot robots or whatever. But I think I know where you're coming from.
Yeah, most of these aren't really what i'm talking about and are just heroes in the same vicinity opposed to interacting with each other in a teamed attack. Either way, I still think there's more teamwork and better flow of action in the first movie.

Originally Posted by RoboDad
While I agree the Fury complaint is silly, there's hardly a narrative of bashing Marvel movies in his post or here in this thread. I'm not sure where you're getting that.
Old 05-06-15, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They probably had more teamwork in this movie than all of the first movie. Also the tracking shot worked better in this thing.
Old 05-06-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Am I one of the only ones who had zero problems following the action? For situations where a comic book would show a still frame of Captain America's shield hitting 6 guys, the fact that I could easily follow stuff like that in the movie version is a testament to the editing. I thought it was clear as could be.
Old 05-06-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. All of the "nameless, faceless robots" were Ultron. How this can be construed as a lack of creativity boggles the mind.
So with all of Ultron's intelligence and power and his ability to travel the internet, the most creative idea he can come up with is an army of robots who can't even take out one taser-wielding chick in a leather catsuit?

(and as an aside, it can hardly be implied that I'm a basher of Marvel movies, as I proudly like both Elektra and Man-Thing---so there!)
Old 05-06-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
Am I one of the only ones who had zero problems following the action? For situations where a comic book would show a still frame of Captain America's shield hitting 6 guys, the fact that I could easily follow stuff like that in the movie version is a testament to the editing. I thought it was clear as could be.
To be fair I wouldn't say I had a problem, moreso I thought it was cleaner in the first movie.
Old 05-06-15, 01:21 PM
Banned by request

Yes. All of the "nameless, faceless robots" were Ultron. How this can be construed as a lack of creativity boggles the mind. In an age where wirelessly networked computers are commonplace, it makes perfect sense that Ultron would exploit such technology to expand his consciousness. It also makes sense from the perspective that Ultron was represented as a reflection of Tony Stark. Just look at how many "nameless, faceless" copies of himself he made with the Iron Legion. Ultron was simply mimicking his "father", but taking it to the next level.

It was also made abundantly clear that they were all Ultron during the final confrontation between the Vision and the last "robot". I don't understand how so many people missed such clear parallels.
Given that they made such a big deal of Ultron being in the net, endless waves of faceless robots IS showing a lack of creativity. Ultron could have emptied Stark's bank accounts, or revealed info on the Avengers to their enemies, or any number of far more interesting things than just building robots that seem pretty darn easy to cut through.
Old 05-06-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Given that they made such a big deal of Ultron being in the net, endless waves of faceless robots IS showing a lack of creativity. Ultron could have emptied Stark's bank accounts, or revealed info on the Avengers to their enemies, or any number of far more interesting things than just building robots that seem pretty darn easy to cut through.
This was a complaint of mine too, but it makes me think that a throwaway line of JARVIS containing Ultron spreading would have been a good enough explanation given that he was the reason Ultron couldn't access nuclear codes.
Old 05-06-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This was a complaint of mine too, but it makes me think that a throwaway line of JARVIS containing Ultron spreading would have been a good enough explanation given that he was the reason Ultron couldn't access nuclear codes.
I thought there was a line of dialogue saying something to this effect when its revealed that Jarvis wasn't destroyed by Ultron, and that he's what Ultron fears.
Old 05-06-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I suppose that could be inferred by that dialog, I recall it being said that JARVIS was fighting back without even knowing it.
Old 05-06-15, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Stark said that JARVIS' protocols were still operating, but his higher functions were damaged, and that he (somehow) had the power to prevent Ultron from achieving his goals, which is why Ultron attacked him.

That being said, is nuclear codes really the only way Ultron could think to wreak havoc on the net? He seems decidedly unimaginative which is why he didn't really work as a villain. He just made some robots and pulled a Lex Luthor.
Old 05-06-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed Age of Ultron; it's got some great action set pieces but felt hampered by some of what I imagine to be set up for Civil War. Suddenly Captain America doesn't trust Iron Man (I get the, 'you created Ultron behind our back' part), that felt a tad forced and I think hurt the team dynamics a bit - the balance of plausible mistrust versus desperate cohesion seemed lacking.

Wendon's commenting that the focus on Hawkeye's family was a red herring to make meta-aware viewers suspect Hawkeye would die doesn't make sense to me - it didn't seem obvious anyone would die for most of the film. However, I really liked how that interjected aspects of 'what are we fighting for' into the mix... which I think the film could have used more of.

Despite the death of a character the movie didn't do enough to establish Ultron as a credible threat in my opinion; in the preliminary conflict Scarlet Witch sort of bails Ultron out then later he threatens just a smaller populated area. He is intimidating but there's not enough sense of 'how are Avengers going to win?'

I wish Vision would have had a better conclusion, that character was one of the more interesting additions.
That being said, is nuclear codes really the only way Ultron could think to wreak havoc on the net? He seems decidedly unimaginative which is why he didn't really work as a villain. He just made some robots and pulled a Lex Luthor.
I think the problem is that technology has advanced more than the Ultron character; in the comics he wasn't omnipotent able to harness internet access to decimate information - we are just more use to thinking of cyberspace now due to technology but incorporating that aspect could have deviated too much from the source material. Also, it's worth considering that he primarily focused on the Avengers as the first threat to humanity... I interpreted him trying to rid humans of the superhero danger but later deciding all humans were flawed (I think they just advanced the Ultron character too fast in the movie).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 05-06-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I enjoyed Age of Ultron; it's got some great action set pieces but felt hampered by some of what I imagine to be set up for Civil War. Suddenly Captain America doesn't trust Iron Man (I get the, 'you created Ultron behind our back' part), that felt a tad forced and I think hurt the team dynamics a bit - the balance of plausible mistrust versus desperate cohesion seemed lacking.
They had problems with each other in the first movie too. Steve probably felt they had moved past it and then Tony started pulling shit behind his back again. Doesn't seem that far off from something that could happen.
Old 05-06-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understood what they were. I still think that the designs and action sequences were unimaginative.
Old 05-06-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

No one missed a thing. We saw that. But it doesn't matter if all the robots were Ultron...the battle scenes still came across as nameless faceless robot canon fodder vs The Avengers. Which was a mirror of nameless faceless alien robot canon fodder vs The Avengers in the first film.

Seriously? I think you got this mixed up with a DC movie thread. Plenty of Grade C Bashing in those threads...
Old 05-06-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I haven't seen any Marvel bashing in this thread either

Criticism, on the other hand, there's plenty of -- and well deserved. The movie was good but far from perfect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.