DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Predator: Dark Ages (Upcoming Fan Film) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/626114-predator-dark-ages-upcoming-fan-film.html)

RocShemp 04-02-15 04:47 PM

Predator: Dark Ages (Upcoming Fan Film)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tfm0ky3aFzg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our story begins in a dark prison cell with a mysterious man chained to the wall, tired and hungry. He is the only living survivor from an attack on a group of soldiers. The only living witness to the atrocities a demon of the night performed in front of his very eyes.

Entrusted by the church to hunt down the beast that slaughtered their brothers in arms, a group of battle-worn Templar Knights must use this only witness to find and kill the demon that plagues the English countryside. To lead this group is a knight who no longer believes in God or country and has given up on humanity. But will this one last battle help him regain his lust for life and save his fellow brothers as well as himself?

The soldiers are only too aware of the devastation that was brought to their lost comrades and so must turn to others to assist in their quest. A group of battle-hardened, money-driven mercenaries are called upon to join the hunt. Having to not only drag with them a suspicious sole survivor who is an eyewitness but also a pack of untrustworthy mercenaries, a difficult path full of twists and turns lies ahead for the Templar Knights, more so than they first believed.
Frankly, I would like something like this to be made but with a real budget.

That said, the Yautja and its tech would need to be re-imagined because I doubt they stopped innovating and have been rocking the plasma cannons and laser sights for hundreds of years. I could maybe buy that during the 1800 but not so far back.

kgrogers1979 04-02-15 04:50 PM

Re: Predator: Dark Ages (Upcoming Fan Film)

I liked Predators, so I would watch another Predator movie, but a fan movie? No thanks.

Mike86 04-02-15 05:10 PM

Yeah fan films almost always sound better than they actually turn out. I'd love to see a decent new Predator film made but with a budget and whatnot. I thought Predators was okay but could have been way better.

Why So Blu? 04-02-15 05:32 PM

I remember this trying to get funded on INDIE GO GO I think. I never kept track of it.

Solid Snake 04-02-15 06:07 PM

Yeah. Seeing the Predators in different eras would be awesome to see. Predator 2 was a hell of a tease to a lot things to go into in the imagination.

kgrogers1979 04-02-15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12440937)
Yeah. Seeing the Predators in different eras would be awesome to see. Predator 2 was a hell of a tease to a lot things to go into in the imagination.

Predator 2 sucked, but I did like the ending on the ship with the Alien skull trophy (which led to the whole AvP thing). The thing with the antique gun was interesting too since it indicates Predators have been visiting Earth for hundreds of years. Predators versus Colonial Americans would be interesting to watch. Although if a modern green beret team had no chance, then what chance would colonists have?

I also liked the samurai type of fight in Predators between the Japanese dude and one of the Predators. Imagine a Predator movie set in feudal Japan fighting against ninjas and samurai...

RocShemp 04-02-15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12440949)
Predator 2 sucked, but I did like the ending on the ship with the Alien skull trophy (which led to the whole AvP thing). The thing with the antique gun was interesting too since it indicates Predators have been visiting Earth for hundreds of years. Predators versus Colonial Americans would be interesting to watch. Although if a modern Green Beret team had no chance, then what chance would colonists have?

Hey, if Tarzan can kill a Predator, I'm sure some colonists with muskets could do it too.

Solid Snake 04-02-15 06:31 PM

I don't like Predator 2 but it had some good scenes. And Bill Fuckin' Paxton is an American treasure. Predator 1 showed us that it was possible that a man could defeat a Predator. It'd be interesting to see one where it's a woman beating one. I think Predators is flawed and is kind of a remake of Predator 1 by reusing team of badasses concept but I liked what it was leading up to and would like a sequel with what was remaining from that one.

kgrogers1979 04-02-15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12440953)
I don't like Predator 2 but it had some good scenes. And Bill Fuckin' Paxton is an American treasure. Predator 1 showed us that it was possible that a man could defeat a Predator. It'd be interesting to see one where it's a woman beating one. I think Predators is flawed and is kind of a remake of Predator 1 by reusing team of badasses concept but I liked what it was leading up to and would like a sequel with what was remaining from that one.

Bill Paxton is always awesome in everything. He is the only person to ever be killed by a Terminator, Alien, and Predator. :lol:

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12440951)
Hey, if Tarzan can kill a Predator, I'm sure some colonists with muskets could do it too.

I had to look that up. I had no idea there was a Tarzan vs Predator comic book. I knew there was a Batman vs Predator and a Superman vs Predator comic. Is there an Archie vs Predator too? Super Mario Bros vs Predator? All these X vs Predator comics are ridiculous.

RocShemp 04-02-15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12440956)
Bill Paxton is always awesome in everything. He is the only person to ever be killed by a Terminator, Alien, and Predator. :lol:

No love for Lance Henriksen? :p

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12440956)
Is there an Archie vs Predator too?

http://d2lzb5v10mb0lj.cloudfront.net...0/27/27991.jpg

Yes.

kgrogers1979 04-02-15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12440964)

He was in a Predator movie?

He was also an android in Aliens, so technically that shouldn't count.

Edit to add: Wikipedia says he was in AvP. I have blocked that movie from memory. Did a Predator kill him in that movie? I don't remember.

RocShemp 04-02-15 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12440967)
He was in a Predator movie?

He was also an android in Aliens, so technically that shouldn't count.

Edit to add: Wikipedia says he was in AvP. I have blocked that movie from memory. Did a Predator kill him in that movie? I don't remember.

I get the hatred for AvP:R but AvP is a lot better than people are willing to give it credit. Hell, Prometheus essentially stole the basic premise of AvP and was far more incompetent, despite being directed by Ridley Scott.

Yes, he was killed by a Predator after he tried to burn it.

hanshotfirst1138 04-02-15 09:13 PM

So are they going to attack the Abrams Klingons to get their face masks back?

RocShemp 04-02-15 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12441076)
So are they going to attack the Abrams Klingons to get their face masks back?

:lol:

UAIOE 04-03-15 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12440949)
Predator 2 sucked, but I did like the ending on the ship with the Alien skull trophy (which led to the whole AvP thing). The thing with the antique gun was interesting too since it indicates Predators have been visiting Earth for hundreds of years. Predators versus Colonial Americans would be interesting to watch. Although if a modern green beret team had no chance, then what chance would colonists have?

I remember some years ago someone make a Duke Nukem 3D total conversion that was set in colonial times & had a guy traveling from the future fighting it. I like the idea of seeing them in the past, but flintlocks vs plasma cannons is stupidly one-sided.

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12440964)

Bishop wasn't killed. He was heavily damaged, but still "alive". The crash in Alien 3 is what did him in.

Bill Paxton is really the only one who has been offed by all three (bonus points for also being killed by Pat Benetar as well)

hanshotfirst1138 04-03-15 07:08 PM

The idea of the Predators being able to visit Earth in various different time periods is really cool. I can't imagine it's something we'll ever see in the franchise proper because of budgetary constraints and how difficult it is to sell a period piece with monsters, but I assume that the EU stuff has milked it quite a bit?

RocShemp 04-03-15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12441876)
The idea of the Predators being able to visit Earth in various different time periods is really cool. I can't imagine it's something we'll ever see in the franchise proper because of budgetary constraints and how difficult it is to sell a period piece with monsters, but I assume that the EU stuff has milked it quite a bit?

They should do a Predator movie in medieval China. They can shoot in Hengdian World Studios. That should limit costs quite a bit since the sets would only need to be redressed.

kgrogers1979 04-03-15 08:46 PM

Prehistoric era - cavemen vs predators

RocShemp 04-03-15 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12441927)

1950's - Rosa Parks vs. Predator ON A SPEEDING BUS. Keanu Reeves cameos as the Bus Driver.

RocShemp 04-03-15 09:39 PM

All kidding aside, I would totally watch a cavemen vs predators movie. Especially if it featured no dialogue whatsoever.

E Unit 04-03-15 09:52 PM

Looks like a mediocre Playstation 2 game.

Why So Blu? 04-03-15 09:56 PM

They did that already in the comics. It was Tarzan vs. Predator.

Solid Snake 04-04-15 06:31 AM

I don't think Cavemen are exactly like Tarzan. Unless I've totally overpowered Tarzan's abilities in my head. hahaha.

RocShemp 04-04-15 06:35 AM

Tarzan vs. Predator already happened during the climax of Predator. Ultimately, that's where a Colonial era Predator movie would end as well. What's important is how you get to that point and whether or not the Yautja would win. Personally, I'd like to see it win at the end. Sure, it'd be a downer ending (assuming the humans are well written and/or likeable) but this is supposed to be the ultimate hunter (and, according to the newer comics, a chief rival of the Engineers) so we should see it win.

Solid Snake 04-04-15 06:55 AM

That bothered me as well. I like seeing these guys drop down and hunt. But so far... seems like we only get to see where we're the winners. Which by this point is boring. We know we're not the winners all the time.

I think it'd take a damn ballsy and smart script to convince someone at Fox to do that. But I dunno if that's possible to risk for them. They put out a movie they need to make bank. So does everyone else but they need it to hit big. Seems like that's Fox's thing. In that they can't risk much lows.

And pretty much it does end that way w/ how to take down a predator. Your weapons don't really help. You've got to be the weapon. Essentially.