Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shin Godzilla 2016 (TOHO) - news, rumors, cast

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shin Godzilla 2016 (TOHO) - news, rumors, cast

Old 12-08-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Toho to produce new Godzilla film for 2016 release

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
i wish I could understand better how the Japanese studios worked. They literally make no sense as a business.
Study the Pacific War, Snake. That'll explain everything. I had some dealings with a Japanese media company (not Toho) this summer that went badly for me and my first thoughts were: I understand how World War II started now; I understand how Pearl Harbor went down. But anyone in the U.S. who's ever dealt with Toho will have stories to tell. And we're talking about a market that's eager for Toho product yet finds it difficult to acquire.
Old 12-08-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Are you getting at pride/nationalism?
Old 12-08-14, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I get that Ash. I just still feel that hearing about is a much different world than encountering it. I want to be annoyed in the first hand.
Old 12-08-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Are you getting at pride/nationalism?
I'm not sure it's that simple. There's something deeper at work in the Japanese male character that doesn't allow for flexibility or improvisation or negotiation. A kind of scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach to dealing with everybody (or maybe just foreigners). Dates back to the feudal era. I'm constantly trying to figure it out.

Kurosawa deals with this a lot in his films. I just watched DRUNKEN ANGEL (1948) on Thanksgiving for the first time in 40 years and there's a great line in there where the doctor (Takashi Shimura) says that "the Japanese love to make pointless sacrifices." In his autobiography, Kurosawa talks about the reaction of Japanese on the street to the Emperor's announcement of surrender on August 15, 1945 and he sums it up this way:
I will never forget the scenes I saw as I walked the streets that day. On the way from Soshigaya to the studios in Kinuta the shopping street looked fully prepared for the Honorable Death of the Hundred Million. The atmosphere was tense, panicked. There were even shopowners who had taken their Japanese swords from their sheaths and sat staring at the bare blades.

However, when I walked the same route back to my home after listening to the imperial proclamation, the scene was entirely different. The people in the shopping street were bustling about with cheerful faces as if preparing for a festival the next day. I don’t know if this represents Japanese adaptability or Japanese imbecility. In either case, I have to recognize that both these facets exist in the Japanese personality. Both facets exist within my own personality as well.
In contrast, every time I've dealt with Mainland Chinese, I always come away with such a positive feeling, a sense that they want to accommodate us. Just this afternoon I hosted a delegation of TV professionals from Chinese TV stations in my place of work and it was a delightful experience. They asked a lot of good questions and wanted to work with us. And they were from all over China.

Yet, Japan's our ally and China is...well, not quite our ally. I'm a Japanophile, and only partly a Sinophile. Which often puts me in a very conflicted position.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-08-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
i wish I could understand better how the Japanese studios worked. They literally make no sense as a business.
Lots of economists believe that they're ahead of us by several years and it's where we're heading. Which terrifies me.
Old 12-08-14, 05:35 PM
Banned

Apparently it was a bitch to get Gojira for CC. And this is CC... they work w/ a lot of studios. That one seemed like it was a whole new world for them in getting a film. I think CC was almost thinking about quitting in obtaining by how tired of a response they had about the experience. Would have loved to see those meetings.
Old 12-08-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't know Criterion had any problems getting Gojira. They've released a number of Toho films so I assumed they had at least some sort of relationship built.
Old 12-08-14, 07:28 PM
Banned

Seems like getting Kurosawa is easier than Godzilla.
Old 12-09-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

All the Godzilla films seem to have issues with coming to DVD/Blu. You couldn't even get the movies in Japanese for many years, even the laserdisc releases were dub only. There's some kind of cultural possessiveness to them that makes them take forever to get things sorted out.

I've worked for a Japanese owned company for over 15 years, and they still puzzle me sometimes. They'll get fixated on an issue for months, coming back over and over for clarification on the most insignificant minutiae, but then brushing off other things without a comment.

Look up the problems Media Blasters had with releasing a special edition of G vs Megalon. Just problem after problem.
Old 12-09-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You still can't get the AIP dubs for many of the G-films, sadly . They're even picky about which versions are featured. Yet apparently they've turned a blind eye towards many greymarket releases. I don't get it, but hey, it's not for me to get.
Old 04-01-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Godzilla 2016 (TOHO) - news, rumors, cast

Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi to Direct ‘Godzilla 2016′
March 31, 2015 | 08:07PM PT Patrick Frater

Top Japanese filmmakers Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi will team up to co-direct “Godzilla 2016”, the new Japanese version of the iconic Godzilla monster movie franchise.

The Toho studio, which licensed remake rights to Warner Bros. for the hit 2014 revival by director Gareth Edwards, produced the seemingly terminal “Godzilla: Final Wars” back in 2004.

But interest was revived by Edward’s 2014 “Godzilla,” which earned $525 million worldwide and JPY3.2 billion ($26 million) in Japan, with Toho and Warner Bros. Japan co-distributing.

“Ever since Hollywood announced that ‘Godzilla’ was to be resurrected, the expectation for another Japanese Godzilla grew. And if we were to newly produce, we looked into Japanese creators who were the most knowledgeable and who had the most passion for Godzilla” said Toho in a statement.

Anno will also be responsible for the screenplay while Higuchi will oversee the picture’s VFX.

The two directors previously collaborated on “God Warrior Appears in Tokyo.” “Their drive to take on such new challenges was exactly what we all had been inspired by,” said Toho.

Anno worked on the animation of Hayao Miyazaki’s Studio Ghibli-produced “Nausicaa in the Valley of Wind.” He later directed anime series including “Gunbuster,” “Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water” and the “Neon Genesis Evangelion” series for which he is best most known. He also curated a touring exhibition Tokusatsu — Special Effects Museum.

Higuchi also worked on the “Evangelion” series, before debuting as a feature director with “Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean” in 2005 and scoring a major hit with “The Sinking of Japan.”

Meanwhile, Edwards has been signed to make “Godzilla 2,” which is set for a June 8, 2018, bow, with Legendary and Warner Bros. again co-producing.

In total Toho has produced 28 Godzilla movies since 1954 when Ishiro Honda directed the first. Ryuhei Kitamura’s “Godzilla: Final Wars” earned a disappointing $12 million.
Old 04-01-15, 12:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Shin Godzilla 2016 (TOHO) - news, rumors, cast

I'm looking forward to this. I love 'zilla - the original that is. Neither of the US remakes have been as good IMO although the more recent one was better than the 1990s one.
Old 04-01-15, 03:40 PM
Banned

I think 2014 brought G back to his roots, flawed but a good place for the character. Toho, while fun and all, ran G into the ground. I like Suit Godzilla. It's just... fun but they don't really visually innovate what could be possible in that type of arena. I hope these guys bring something cool visually cuz as a filmmaking platform Toho hasn't really progressed to the positive. Maybe that's just big Japan studio filmmaking? I dunno.
Old 04-01-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Other than the nostalgia factor of Toho getting fired up to bring new G-Film(s). I'm not really all that excited about this.
Old 04-01-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shinji Higuchi directed the effects for the 1995-99 Gamera trilogy, which I thought were excellent, and he directed a movie called THE SINKING OF JAPAN, which was very good. He's got the right credentials.
Old 04-01-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll probably be more excited when I see the trailer. Hopefully Toho understands where they went wrong with the series.
Old 04-01-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I hope it's not anything like Godzilla Final Wars
Old 04-02-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't look at Toho as being *the* authority on Godzilla after seeing those stupid emo aliens in "Final Wars".

I want to see Godzilla, not guys who loiter outside a Tokyo Hot Topic recreate "The Matrix" fights.
Old 04-02-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see Toho keeping this new film in FW territory. They want to directly compete with Legendary's series and that's definitely a good thing. Rather than doing something different tonally, I think they're going to go very serious and try to make it truly great. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a solo film.
Old 04-02-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully Godzilla will actually have screen time in this.
Old 04-02-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Historically, aside from a few exceptions, Godzilla typically has little screen time. Hell, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is one of my favorites and he has less time on screen than in '14.
Old 04-02-15, 06:15 PM
Banned

You want moments. The Millenium series didn't have much iconic moments. The Heisei series for me is best in presenting G and also making him memorable.
Old 04-03-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Hopefully Godzilla will actually have screen time in this.
I don't think he's in the original movie all that much.
Old 04-03-15, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't think he's in the original movie all that much.
There was a discussion of screentime in the thread for last year's Godzilla thread. I actually watched the original movie with a stopwatch. His screentime is 8 mins 55 seconds.
Old 04-03-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

And the original is easily the best movie of the franchise, the screentime thing is a tired argument.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.