Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pegg

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ready Player One (2018, D: Spielberg) S: Cooke, Sheridan, Rylance, Mendelsohn, Pegg

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Ready Player One (D: Spielberg)

Karate Kid II
Old 03-28-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just got this book from the library after reading Hokeyboy's post. Just got started, looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Old 03-28-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Has there been a big-studio teen romance movie where the leading couple is multiracial?
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm guessing the leads are multiracial? Male is black/hispanic and the girl is white or vice versa or what?
The leading couple in the book were both white. Though the supporting cast is multiracial.
Old 03-28-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
The leading couple in the book were both white. Though the supporting cast is multiracial.
Huh. I thought that the girl was black.
Old 03-28-15, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'll spoiler this. Interesting...

Spoiler:
Black lesbian from what I can see on Wikipedia. Though her "avatar" is a white dude.

EDIT: Nope. Somehow I mixed up the characters. THe supporting cast is multiracial though. So that's right. Is it explained in the movie that Wade Watts and the girl are white?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-28-15 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
I read it last year sometime, and loved it. One of those books that I just tore through in a couple of days without even planning to. Though I'm a Gen-Exer all the way who loves all this geeky shit. I'd be curious to hear what readers who weren't of that generation thought.
Spoiler:
I just finished the book, and I'm more of a 90's kid. But I still thought it was a little weird that there were no mention of NES games considering how 80's centric it was. Sure, the main focus was the early 80's, but considering the gunters studied up on every random thing, you'd think they'd have mentioned Miyamoto or Mario at least once. There was a Donkey Kong cabinet in one scene, and the Nintendo consoles in the final room, but other than that, it's like they went out of their way to avoid talking about Mario or major NES games.
Old 03-30-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I really wish I was having the same experience with the book as others. I'm maybe halfway through it and, to me, the 80s references come so fast and furious they feel forced and pandering. The "let's just throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" approach. I think it's lazy and I don't really like it, but a lot of the pop culture referenced was not part of my childhood at all so that may have something to do with it. Again, just my opinion.

I think the movie could be really fun though, and Spielberg is kind of the perfect choice to direct. Regardless of how I feel about the book, I'm looking forward to the movie.
I'm in a similar position. The book was decently fun but sometimes felt like one of the bad parody movie comedies where winking and randomly referencing pop culture material is substituted for plot or character development.
Old 03-30-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I really wish I was having the same experience with the book as others. I'm maybe halfway through it and, to me, the 80s references come so fast and furious they feel forced and pandering. The "let's just throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" approach. I think it's lazy and I don't really like it, but a lot of the pop culture referenced was not part of my childhood at all so that may have something to do with it. Again, just my opinion.
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I'm in a similar position. The book was decently fun but sometimes felt like one of the bad parody movie comedies where winking and randomly referencing pop culture material is substituted for plot or character development.
I got the book as part of my Loot Crate and well, I'm having a problem finishing it with just under a 1/3 left to read.

Honestly, the
Spoiler:
momentum of the story and all compulsion to even root for Wade deflated when the author decided to pursue the clichéd "romantic" subplot. Even if the subplot echoed readers sentiments about the chase stopping, that subplot did not mirror my feelings that it was completely unnecessary. A comparison is made to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in reviews yet Charlie doesn't stop his quest for the Golden Ticket to try to start something fruitless.

My other issue is that I am part of geek culture and well, I don't stick to one decade for my nerdiness references. The Borderlands games have funny and on point references to all video games since the birth of games not to mention a wide berth of movies and music. Seth McFarlane's Family Guy and American Dad also covers a wide range of pop culture.

For me the book seems to cheapen out on the drama and suspense by limiting the major parts of the plot to 1980s references and most of these are not even all of the 1980s, just the early 1980s. I'll spoil this for the sake of spoilers:

Spoiler:
It really makes the Easter egg hunt seem too structured and well, that doesn't fit with Halliday's character. At least in the context of how the story wants Halliday to be. It also means that when a company wants to cheat at the system, it just makes it easier to do it. Why? Because as a gamer, we can spot patterns and Wade should have noticed that the first two clues were relegated to the early 1980s.

Even more infuriating is that the author cheats the reader out of a wonderful opportunity to make the second part of the first quest more developed and meaty. How? By simply saying its a shot for shot recreation of War Games. And instead of actually being an interactive recreation like say "Blade Runner the Video Game" or "Demolition Man," its just having to recite dialogue at the right moment. Halliday, an eccentric genius who created a social network that people escape into and live their lives, makes a lazy "challenge" like this? OK, sure, an uncanny valley recreation of a movie is impressive but c'mon. Its still lazy writing.

For me this book is really not a fun read, more of something to read and see how social networking and our technology can evolve. I was excited when I started but that quickly deflated as I waded through some really lazy writing.

As for the movie adaptation of this, Steven Spielberg is literally the boss god of Hollywood so I'm sure he won't have issues obtaining the clearances to the properties referenced in the book. Funny enough, if Spielberg walks away, the book has written itself into a corner with nods to Firefly, Star Wars, War Games, and all the video games. Disney had issues with Wreck It-Ralph's video game clearances despite the filmmakers going to the actual rights holders and explaining their stances. Think of what will happen if Universal, MGM, Paramount, or even Warner Brothers choose to withhold approval.
Old 03-30-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Spoiler:
I just finished the book, and I'm more of a 90's kid. But I still thought it was a little weird that there were no mention of NES games considering how 80's centric it was. Sure, the main focus was the early 80's, but considering the gunters studied up on every random thing, you'd think they'd have mentioned Miyamoto or Mario at least once. There was a Donkey Kong cabinet in one scene, and the Nintendo consoles in the final room, but other than that, it's like they went out of their way to avoid talking about Mario or major NES games.
Spoiler:
That didn't strike me ... probably because I completely missed being into the NES. For me, it was arcade games (the oldies like Pac Man, Joust, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc) and Atari 2600 in the late 70s and early 80s. By the mid-80s, instead of getting into NES I migrated right to the early computer games (like Zork and Ultima, which are represented in the book). I never got back into console games until the late PS2/early PS3 era. Something tells the author (who is about my age) had the exact same gaming history. I'd be drawing a complete blank if there were lots of Mario and Zelda references. I guess that's the book for the slightly younger author to write.
Old 03-30-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will say that I was hoping for a

Spoiler:
Zork reference the moment he mentioned text games at the beginning, and was glad that it was actually part of one of the challenges. Even though I grew up way after those came out, I played the Zork games, and even the freaky as hell Return to Zork from 1993 or so.
Old 04-01-15, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only heard about this book this morning when watching someone's Loot Crate unboxing. Did a search and it sounded interesting enough for me to add it to my ebook wishlist to download tomorrow. And now this! I'm having a befuddled deja vu-ish moment here. LOL

Makes me hope they are somehow closer to looking at doing a movie based on David Wellington's Monster Island. LOVED that book!
Old 04-01-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, I bought the Audible and have a road trip in a few weeks, I'll give it a shot then.
Old 04-18-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I loved the first two acts of the book but the third really loses steam and becomes fairly nonsensical. It feels alot like Cline never really knew how to bridge to the ending. I was sort of disappointed in it by the end. Curious to see how they can possibly film this though.
Old 04-19-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Have to say based on that article this movie sounds really dumb.
Old 08-06-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Set for a December 15th, 2017 release.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/steven-s...os-1201493651/
Old 08-06-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Ready Player One (2017, D: Spielberg)

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the book and love it. Just hoping the ending is decent but, if not, that's something Spielberg can change. This seems to be a perfect story for him to adapt to the big screen, and it also has the promise to bring back the Spielberg we loved from the 80's. It has the POTENTIAL to be one of his best films.

However, I can hear the critics (not familiar with the book) already complaining about all the product placement.
Old 09-11-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Steven Spielberg Casts Olivia Cooke as Female Lead in ‘Ready Player One’
September 11, 2015 | 01:02PM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter @krolljvar

“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” star Olivia Cooke has landed one of the lead roles in Steven Spielberg and Warner Bros.’ “Ready Player One,” sources tell Variety.

Spielberg is currently wrapping up production on the DreamWorks pic “The BFG,” but has tapped this as his next directing job and has been seeing actors and actresses for the past couple of weeks for the lead roles.

WB had no comment.

Reports surfaced last week that Cooke was among a handful of actresses who had made the shortlist.

The Warner Bros., Village Roadshow and DreamWorks release is based on the buzzy Ernest Cline book of the same name. Spielberg, Donald De Line, Dan Farah and Kristie Macosko Krieger will produce, with Bruce Berman serving as exec producer.

Cline’s novel, published in 2011, follows the rise of virtual reality universe the Oasis, which humans living in the not-too-distant future begin to value above the real world. Zak Penn adapted the story for the screen.

Pic is slated to bow on Dec. 15, 2017.

Cooke broke out after her career-making role in the Sundance pic “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl,” winning over auds and critics with her portrayal of a teen diagnosed with cancer. Her past credits include “Ouija” and A&E’s “Bates Motel.”

She is repped by Gersh and Luber Roklin Entertainment. The news was first reported by the Hollywood Reporter.
Old 09-11-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm about two-thirds of the way through the book and love it. Just hoping the ending is decent but, if not, that's something Spielberg can change. This seems to be a perfect story for him to adapt to the big screen, and it also has the promise to bring back the Spielberg we loved from the 80's. It has the POTENTIAL to be one of his best films.

However, I can hear the critics (not familiar with the book) already complaining about all the product placement.
The ending is fine. But that is the one thing that Spielberg will fuck up. He doesn't know how to end films well (at least in the last 20 years).
Old 09-11-15, 07:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

They best thing about Olivia Cooke getting this role is that it means Tatiana Maslany is one step closer to being in Star Wars.
Old 09-11-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ A fair assumption. I'd be happy either way, but Episode VIII will probably wrap by July. Depending on how long it takes Spielberg to prep this, Cooke could possibly film both and still be back for the last season of Bates Motel. Doubtful, though.
Old 09-11-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I wonder if they'll try and keep Aech's identity a mystery until the end like the novel.
Old 09-13-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finished the book 2 weeks ago and my question would be what is the budget of this thing? Shouldn't it be through the roof with all the royalties they'd have to pay for all the properties referenced in it? That was part of the fun of reading it and if they limit that, it'll lessen the impact of the movie.
Old 09-13-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wonder if they'll try and keep Aech's identity a mystery until the end like the novel.
Thanks for the spoiler. Still reading the book.
Old 09-14-15, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How in the world is that a spoiler?
Old 09-14-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not wild about this casting, reading the book I think the part needed an actress a little more curvy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.