Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Recent movies that are likely to become classics?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Recent movies that are likely to become classics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Recent movies that are likely to become classics?

That is hard because there are great movies been made every year and not all are revisited throughout the years, regardless of their quality. SO what becomes a "classic" that people come back to often could be literally anything even a Transformers movie.
Old 03-20-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
That is hard because there are great movies been made every year and not all are revisited throughout the years, regardless of their quality. SO what becomes a "classic" that people come back to often could be literally anything even a Transformers movie.
Yeah... in 2035:
"Have you seen 50 shades of grey?"
"Of course! That movie is classic."

Back in 1990 there were about 225 movies released theatrically, in 1999 there were roughly 385 movies released theatrically, in 2014 there were 692. It's gonna get tough to sort through and find the true classics. Looking at some of these old Box Office numbers is amusing too, back in 1990, Home Alone had an opening weekend of $17m across 1200 theaters. Ghost had an opening of $12.9m across 1100 theaters. They ultimately grossed $285m and $217m respectively. Opening that low and making it that high is damn near unheard of these days (outside of My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

Last edited by RichC2; 03-20-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA! Reminds me, I was recently in a USC dorm lobby and a group of students were discussing what film they were going to watch that evening. They were leaning toward a comedy... Then a girl says, "Let's go classic!" "The Hangover!"
Old 03-20-15, 01:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
HA! Reminds me, I was recently in a USC dorm lobby and a group of students were discussing what film they were going to watch that evening. They were leaning toward a comedy... Then a girl says, "Let's go classic!" "The Hangover!"
Old 03-20-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

An interesting side question would be: what movies from 1985-95 are considered "classic" now?

There are some films that are quoted endlessly, like SAY ANYTHING... (1989) that I've never seen, but I'm guessing at least 80% of you would consider it a classic and many of you have probably seen it multiple times. If I had to name films from that period that are considered "classic," I think of things like DIE HARD, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, UNFORGIVEN and RESERVOIR DOGS, but those are obvious ones. There've gotta be a lot of titles that are less obvious to someone like me who tended to ignore the comedies and rom-coms of that era. I would push for BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE and my three favorite Walter Hill films, EXTREME PREJUDICE, JOHNNY HANDSOME and TRESPASS, but I'm not confident of any consensus about them.
Old 03-20-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Mainstream classics: not a single one. The modern cultural landscape doesn't allow them anymore.
This is kind of what I have been thinking. With streaming taking over and the fluctuating contracts that come with it, media is becoming more disposable these days. I wonder if there will be fewer films considered classics because people don't have the inclination to revisit them when there is so much else available to watch. The splintering viewership doesn't help either.

I agree with those who mentioned Frozen. It was well-reviewed and is a phenomenon that has continued long after the film ran its course in theaters and on video. It also seems to have more of a timeless quality than stuff like Shrek.

FWIW, the highest-rated post-2004 film from the most recent (2012) Sight and Sound poll was The Tree of Life, which came in at 102 among critics. Roger Ebert had it on his last ballot.
Old 03-20-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Lincoln (the kind of movie you could watch 20 years from now and still enjoy quite a bit)
I still haven't watched the screener I received, but wasn't the general consensus that Lincoln was a mediocre film?
Old 03-20-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still haven't watched the screener I received, but wasn't the general consensus that Lincoln was a mediocre film?
Critically it was very well received. Audiences were split as is generally the case with historical drama re-enactments
Old 03-20-15, 02:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought it was pretty well made with a very strong cast. Maybe a tad overrated, but I found it very hard not to like. It was also neat to see how Congress conducted business back then.
Old 03-20-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
An interesting side question would be: what movies from 1985-95 are considered "classic" now?

There are some films that are quoted endlessly, like SAY ANYTHING... (1989) that I've never seen, but I'm guessing at least 80% of you would consider it a classic and many of you have probably seen it multiple times. If I had to name films from that period that are considered "classic," I think of things like DIE HARD, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, UNFORGIVEN and RESERVOIR DOGS, but those are obvious ones. There've gotta be a lot of titles that are less obvious to someone like me who tended to ignore the comedies and rom-coms of that era. I would push for BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE and my three favorite Walter Hill films, EXTREME PREJUDICE, JOHNNY HANDSOME and TRESPASS, but I'm not confident of any consensus about them.
Field of Dreams, When Harry Met Sally, Untouchables, Goodfellas... I love Trespass but don't know many that have seen it.

Last edited by hasslein; 03-20-15 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Field of Dreams, When Harry Met Sally, Untouchables, Goodfellas... I love Trespass but don't know many that have seen it.
GoodFellas is definitely going to be a "classic". The other three, no so much. The Untouchables is one of my top 10 favorite films, but I don't hear many people talking about it these days.

A good measure is how many home video re-releases a movie gets...The Terminator and Evil Dead? Classics!
Old 03-20-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Rob Zombies Halloween II
Old 03-20-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Some good ones here :

http://whatculture.com/film/10-moder...rs-come.php/10

10 Modern Movies That Will Be Viewed As Classics In Years To Come

Take Shelter
To the Wonder
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Master
Only God Forgives
Under the Skin
Kill List
Inside Llewyn Davis
Killing Them Softly
All Is Lost
Old 03-20-15, 03:22 PM

Field of Dreams is a classic already.
Old 03-20-15, 03:23 PM

I'm sorry, but The Master was very disappointing. It was also very boring. A great cast wasted.
Old 03-20-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No need to apologize. The Master doesn't belong on that list. Neither does To the Wonder, Kill List, Only God Forgives or All Is Lost.

But, The Master was beautifully shot.
Old 03-20-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brack
I'm sorry, but The Master was very disappointing. It was also very boring. A great cast wasted.
I feel the same way about Field of Dreams.

Last edited by inri222; 03-20-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

None. We'll just have to revered to the 90s or older if we want "Real" classics.
Old 03-20-15, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
I feel the same way about Field of Dreams.
Field of Dreams was boring? It was a whimsical baseball drama. Maybe it wasn't your cup of tea, but it was never boring. The Master was the worst of PTA. I haven't seen Inherent Vice yet, so I can't make that assumption yet.
Old 03-20-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,466 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

We watched the Bill and Ted movies a few months ago, and Excellent Adventure has stood up well. The only part that I thought dated was Beethoven playing power ballads. Otherwise, it was surprisingly good.

I looked at the Wikipedia entry for movies that are 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and recent movies are mostly documentaries I've never heard of. But Toy Story 2 is on the list!
Old 03-20-15, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1985-95? Off the top of my head...

RoboCop
Predator
Terminator 2
Jurassic Park
Die Hard (though I think it is a flawed one in comparison to... Predator)
Drunken Master 2
Police Story 3
Evil Dead 2
Goodfellas
Reservoir dogs
Pulp Fiction
Leon
The Fly
Full Metal Jacket
Heat

that's all I can think of.
Old 03-20-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Her
The Incredibles
Sin City
Old 03-20-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Field of Dreams was boring? It was a whimsical baseball drama. Maybe it wasn't your cup of tea, but it was never boring. The Master was the worst of PTA. I haven't seen Inherent Vice yet, so I can't make that assumption yet.
We look for different things in films. The Master had me mesmerized from beginning to end and I think it just might be PTA's best film. Field of Dreams with its cornball Hollywood wannabe Frank Capra cliches bored the crap out of me.
Old 03-20-15, 10:30 PM

I can't say we look for different things from films based solely on two movies, but whatever.

Mesmerized by Phoenix being a drunk? Hoffman being underutilized? I'm not the biggest PTA fan, but compared to his earlier efforts, it was easily his weakest outing. Maybe I'm missing something, but there was no there there. I think there was a lot of material to work with, but overall it amounted to nothing of significance. Maybe that was the point of the film, I don't know.

With Field of Dreams, what you see is what you get. If you didn't like that, well you didn't like it, but there was no mystery about what the film was trying to achieve. I don't think PTA knew what he was trying to achieve with The Master, or if he did he lost his way.
Old 03-20-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Field of Dreams is a classic already.
Correct. You have to really hate baseball to not believe it's classic.

I don't think people were thinking it fit as a classic but I can assure you that Nolan's The Dark Knight will be around for decades. I wanted to say The Avengers as well but I think its special effects will badly date it in a couple of decades.

My personal favorite of this millennium is probably The Prestige, though I rarely hear its name dropped as a classic. Oldboy is arguably already a classic, certainly for genre fans. The original of course.

My pick for a recent romantic classic would be Once. Recent horror classics? The Others and possibly Cabin In The Woods.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.