DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   We Are Still Here (Dir. Todd Geoghegan/Starring Barbara Crampton) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/625727-we-still-here-dir-todd-geoghegan-starring-barbara-crampton.html)

asianxcore 03-13-15 11:40 PM

We Are Still Here (Dir. Todd Geoghegan/Starring Barbara Crampton)

Loving this trailer

In the cold, wintery fields of New England, a lonely old house wakes up every thirty years - and demands a sacrifice.

https://vimeo.com/118158576

Greg MacGuffin 03-14-15 07:52 AM

Re: We Are Still Here (Dir. Todd Geoghegan/Starring Barbara Crampton)

Looks good, but they need to turn down the inceptionator.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PeDqIv7ILiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ash Ketchum 03-14-15 01:02 PM

WARNING:

When I clicked on that trailer in post #1, my computer crashed and I had to reboot and log in again to this site.

asianxcore 03-14-15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12422926)
WARNING:

When I clicked on that trailer in post #1, my computer crashed and I had to reboot and log in again to this site.

That happened to me with other YouTube videos members here were posting on various parts of the forum. My computer didn't crash, it just made the video crash/not play. I doubt it has to do with the actual trailer I posted.

Either way, I changed the link to the trailer over on Vimeo.

Greg MacGuffin 05-31-15 01:09 AM

Just got back from seeing this. Really liked it. I would rank it alongside It Follows as one of the better horror movies from the last few years.

islandclaws 06-07-15 12:14 AM

^ Funny, I just watched this tonight - right after It Follows - and felt this was easily the superior film of the two.

Crampton was good in her role but it was Fessenden who steals the show. Loved his stoner medium character.

Comparisons to Fulci are mostly valid. This thing gets balls-out crazy during the climax, and there are some big gross-out moments. Nothing super outrageous, but chunks of skull fly. Often.

I liked that exposition was kept to a minimum, with just enough getting out to let viewers in on the history. I was worried at first when Expository Neighbors showed up near the beginning, although that played out differently than expected.

I don't really scare so I don't know how to rate this on that level. Had a few good moments.

Employs some rote elements of horror, but never to a point that I was bummed out.

Mondo Kane 06-07-15 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12501601)
I don't really scare so I don't know how to rate this on that level.

I've always wondered, what horror films have come close to scaring you?

islandclaws 06-07-15 11:43 AM

The last one I can recall that really got under my skin, although it wasn't so much scary as it was extremely intense and had my palms sweating, was THE LOVED ONES.

Jackskeleton 06-08-15 05:10 AM

This one out 70's horror'ed It Follows for me. Which was odd because I think I enjoyed it follows more, but this one just nailed the era it was suppose to mimic so well and had a better structure to that time of horror movies.

RichC2 06-08-15 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12501800)
The last one I can recall that really got under my skin, although it wasn't so much scary as it was extremely intense and had my palms sweating, was THE LOVED ONES.

The Loved Ones had one or two squirmy scenes but man that movie came off as pure cheese to me.

It seems like the more highly reviewed a horror movie is, the more divisive it is.

Drag Me to Hell (2009) - 92% (238 reviews)
The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - 91% (243 reviews)
The Babadook (2014) - 98% (167 reviews)
It Follows (2015) - 96% (163 reviews)
We Are Still Here (2015) - 90% (20 reviews)

islandclaws 06-08-15 01:02 PM

True. Horror is also extremely subjective, although I suppose you could say that about any genre.

Curious, RichC2, but what horror films have gotten your skin crawling as of late?

hanshotfirst1138 06-08-15 03:10 PM

In the words of the late great Gene Siskel, the most subjective things about film are eroticism and humor. Horror is probably next in line. Though I was quite proud of my long diatribe about Cabin in the Woods ;).

Supermallet 10-12-15 03:05 PM

I was disappointed in this one. The director played his hand way too soon, showing the family far too quickly and too often. I was much more intrigued by the darkness, that seemed like it was setting the stage for a Lovecraftian finale but they punted the climax. Sure, there was lots of blood, but I had already seen the Dagmar family take apart other people, so seeing it happen again wasn't anything surprising or satisfying.

I thought the Crampton was great as were the townies but this movie squandered its potential.

Rival11 12-08-15 01:49 PM

We are still here (Horror 2015)

Well, did a search but since every word in the title is a common word, I got no results. I was browsing my recommendations on Amazon and saw this one - looked at some reviews and while nobody was saying it was ground breaking.....they are mentioning that it's worth a view - looks pretty good to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W9MkCNj0Rd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 12-08-15 01:51 PM

Re: We are still here (Horror 2015)

Some feedback from another thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-crampton.html

Rival11 12-08-15 01:53 PM

I knew it - should have searched better.

RichC2 12-08-15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 12665464)
I knew it - should have searched better.

Gotta use a 3rd party search engine unfortunately.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...are+still+here

Rival11 12-08-15 01:55 PM

Looks good to me - didn't know this came out so long ago either.

Rival11 12-08-15 01:55 PM

Yeah - Sorry Mods - please kill this thread.

Spikedragon 11-29-16 10:37 AM

Not bad.

OldBoy 01-09-17 07:31 PM

holy fuck was this awesome. Hands down best, gripping, shocking horror movie I've seen since The Orphanage not too long ago, but wow with this one. This knocked the creepiness out of the park, but to show you the demons and the carnage out right was totally unexpected. Not that I would have minded the little seen apparition stuff, but this knocks you on the head and shows it all. Just excellent!

EddieMoney 01-10-17 08:58 AM

I agree, I thought this was great.

inri222 01-13-17 10:23 PM

I was enjoying the first half for the minimalist creepy slow burn atmospherics found in ghost films of the 70's like The Changeling and Burnt Offerings. Then the second half does a complete 180 by turning into a predictable gore fest and ruins what came before.

2/5