Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

His agent sounds like an idiot.

But yeah I'll watch.
Old 06-11-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Eh, Smith talks about a LOT of projects and few if any ever go anywhere. We'll see.
Old 06-11-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
This doesn't surprise me. My guess is that The Wet Hot American Summer series is the model they're looking at copying.
Yes I hope for something like that.
Old 06-11-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck

But yeah I'll watch.
Bingo.

But still in for this, should work well as a show
Old 06-13-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
That's for sure, what a moran.

But if it does actually happen, I will watch.
Old 06-13-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm down for 10-hours of Mallrats 2 hijinks as long as we get the original cast back in there. I don't want some bullshit "next generation" incarnation.
More like 5 hours.

Cable comedies are typically half hours, even the HBO ones (Ballers, Entourage, Sex & The City, Veep, Curb your Enthusiasm).
Old 10-10-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Today, I start pitching the #Mallrats series which began life back in March 2015 as a movie. But now, with Jim and Dan from #universaltelevision, I'll spend the next week trying to find a home for our sequel series at places like @showtime, @netflix, @amazon & @hulu. When I saw @therealstanlee at @nycomiccon this weekend, I told him Rats pitches start today. Stan (who is a major part of the series) said "Well hurry up! I'm not getting any younger!" To psych myself up, I've been staring at these script sides from Day 4 of our #1995 shoot. Sides are mini versions of the script for that day's work - so the last time I studied this particular set of sides, I was a 24 year old who never expected he'd get as far as he did with his first film. Ironically now, as a 46 year old grown-ass man, I still feel the same way. This flick's 21 year ride has been a gift, and if any of the places we're pitching see fit to help me continue telling the story of Mallrats two decades past the original expiration date and in loving memory of the late, great #JimJacks - my producer friend who made Mallrats happen in the first place? Well, let's just say that would be the exact opposite of a stink-palm. @jasonlee? @theshando? For nearly 2 years now, I've dreamed of seeing you both in a mall again as Brodie and Rene'. Today, I stop dreaming and try to make that fantasy a reality. Jim? This one's for you... #KevinSmith #jasonlee #stanlee #shannondoherty #jaymewes #michaelrooker

I think this can officially be moved to the T.V forum.
Old 10-10-16, 07:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

He should just pitch it in the trash. Save a lot of people the trouble.
Old 10-10-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
He should just pitch it in the trash. Save a lot of people the trouble.
I dunno, if Wet Hot American Summer can get picked up for an episodic prequel, I wouldn't rule out Mallrats.

Or are you just doing the tired, bag on Kevin Smith thing?
Old 10-10-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully Stan Lee and Shannon Doherty are both around when this actually gets made.
Old 12-31-19, 12:06 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

There may be life in a sequel still...

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FYesThatKevinSmith%2Fposts%2F10156439290256930&width=500" width="500" height="766" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Kevin Smith
·
2019 was seriously one of the best years of my life! So many of my dreams came true this year, as well as a few big things too dazzling to even dare dream about! From the return of @jayandsilentbob, to having my career literally cemented at the legendary @chinesetheatres, to Clerks being accepted into the @librarycongress - 2019 kept giving and giving! Sooooo glad I didn’t drop dead back in 2018, because I would’ve missed all the stuff I listed with my pic. Thank you to everyone who supported the #jayandsilentbob #rebootroadshow Tour: we’ve made over 3 million bucks from our 2 @fathomevents screenings and the 37 cities we’ve visited so far (Tour resumes January 10th in Oakland for another 25 cities through Feb 26). Many thanks for powering my dopey dream of reopening the Askewniverse and making me and @jaymewes feel so welcomed in all your towns and cities! It’s gonna be hard for 2020 to measure up to 2019 - but I’m off to a fun start by writing stuff for Brodie Bruce & Co. to say in the new script I’m calling TWILIGHT OF THE MALLRATS! The CLERKS III script is also underway, so we’ll see which flick will be my first film of the roaring 20’s! But tonight, I end the year like I always do - standing on the stage at the @hollywoodimprov with @ralphgarman, making BABBLE until the Ball drops (a few tix left at the link in my bio)! It was a decade that began badly with COP OUT and the TOO FAT TO FLY incident. The decade of the Red State Tour, @tuskthemovie and @yogahosers! It was the decade in which I almost died of a massive heart attack, and the decade where I went Vegan and got down to my high school weight! Who knows what the next decade holds in store for us - but I’m ready to turn the page and find out! Happy New Year, my friends! (Jedi Kev piece by NEED A NAME .) #KevinSmith #newyearseve #2019
Old 12-31-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I wonder if the $3 million is what they net overall.
Old 12-31-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

As much as I love both Clerks and Mallrats, there is no need to revisit either (and I'm including Clerks II in there). Smith is a talented guy - I'd love to see his take on a real comic book movie, for one. Maybe a smaller independent film that he could really turn into something cool.
Old 12-31-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
As much as I love both Clerks and Mallrats, there is no need to revisit either (and I'm including Clerks II in there). Smith is a talented guy - I'd love to see his take on a real comic book movie, for one.
He's probably fine having done small tv directing gigs on Supergirl and The Flash.
Old 01-01-20, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Kinda waiting on my copy of Jay and Silent Bob Reboot to know how I feel about him going back to the Askewniverse.
Old 01-01-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ Didn't know J&SBR was up for pre-order.

I guess a Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 comes down to who is writing them. Kevin Smith or Stoner Kevin Smith. One is vastly more talented than the other.
Old 01-02-20, 12:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Clerks 2 was excellent and I welcome a Clerks 3. It’s interesting to drop in on these characters as time goes by.

Mallrats 2 could be good. I’d give it a chance.
Old 01-02-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's probably going to release them similar to Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (still haven't seen). Which means I'll have to wait until they might hit a streaming service.
Old 01-03-20, 02:12 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally i don't think Kevin Smith movies, Clerks, Mallrats etc have aged well

What was cool and amusing is now stupid and try hard

Snoochie boochies, gimme a break !
Old 01-03-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
^ Didn't know J&SBR was up for pre-order.

I guess a Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 comes down to who is writing them. Kevin Smith or Stoner Kevin Smith. One is vastly more talented than the other.
This. This. This. and This. Kevin Smith gave us Chasing Amy and Dogma. Stoner Kevin Smith gave us Tusk and Yoga Hosers. I think you nailed it on the head.
Old 01-03-20, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PatD
This. This. This. and This. Kevin Smith gave us Chasing Amy and Dogma. Stoner Kevin Smith gave us Tusk and Yoga Hosers. I think you nailed it on the head.
There's that plus there's the thought that his movies changed after he became a father.
Old 10-15-20, 04:05 AM

Re: Twilight of the Mallrats (Mallrats 2) (D: Kevin Smith)

Earlier this week, EW posted a chat with writer-director Kevin Smith in which he reminisced about making 1995's Mallrats and discussed how, over time, this box office bomb achieved the status of a cult classic. But what about the future of what it seems we now need to start calling "the Mallratsfranchise"? At the end of our walk down memory lane, Smith teased the film's sequel, Twilight of the Mallrats, which will revolve around Jason Lee's superhero comics-obsessed Brodie.

"Looks like we’re heading toward it now in 2021, which is very exciting for us," said Smith. "It takes place 25 years after the original and features the entire cast, [and] a new cast of characters as well. It’s about Brodie and his daughter and the death of the mall. The Brodie that we met in
Mallrats has only been proven right in life. The world came around to his way of thinking. So, based on that, Brodie never really had to grow up and now, at this juncture in time, we face the moment when he might actually have to become an adult." The cast of the original Mallrats also included Shannen Doherty, Jeremy London, Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Claire Forlani, Jason Mewes, Michael Rooker, and the director himself.

Smith will be making the film in collaboration with Universal, which released the original Mallrats. According to the director, the studio was unaware it held the rights to the film, which grossed a mere $2.1 million back in 1995.

"When I handed them the script for Mallrats 2, they were like, 'We own Mallrats 1?'" said Smith. "I was like, 'Yeah, it’s yours!' Mallrats is a movie that’s a little bit lost in time in many ways. It’s a real relic of its era, but at the same time, maybe except for the lack of cell phones and the haute couture, that movie still plays today, probably better than it did in 1995."
https://ew.com/movies/mallrats-seque...GzddQNfELIGmyM

I wonder if this would be a Peacock exclusive, something Universal 1440 would do and dump on Netflix, or actually go theatrical. Option 3 seems less likely these days.
Old 10-15-20, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

"When I handed them the script for Mallrats 2, they were like, 'We own Mallrats 1?'"

Old 10-15-20, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
This is what he said 4 years ago when this all kinda fell apart, then went to the TV route... and fell apart again.

“I called my agency and I said, ‘Hey man, can I just make a Mallrats sequel? Universal owns it, but do I really need to make this with Universal? Can’t I just write a script and buy the title from them?’ And the agent told me, ‘Yeah, absolutely, they’ll let it go.’ And I said, ‘Are you positive? Because I don’t want to start this if that’s not the case.’ He says, ‘Oh yeah, there are three ways you can make this movie: You finance it yourself; you finance it with the studio, co-financed; or they finance it, but, you know, it’ll probably be, since it’s an old movie and it’s a small title, it’ll probably be you financing it yourself.’

“So, I was like, ‘Oh my god, alright, right on, that’s what I like to hear, nobody can stop me from self-expressing.’ So I wrote my script, put everything together, and then I told my agent, when I was done, ‘Alright, I’m ready to go, do we have to reach out to Universal for approval or something or let them pass or whatever?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, we have to submit the script.’ And I was like, ‘Why do we have to submit the script?’ ‘Because they own the property and it’s a formality … it’s going to be fine.’

“And so we submitted the script and my agent comes back to me and he goes, ‘Well, apparently Universal has never let a catalogue title go, any title they own, they’ve retained, they’ve never done something where they’re like, ‘Oh, you can take it back and go make a sequel. Never in the history of the studio.’ So, I was like, ‘Wait, but you told me that was one of my options.’ ‘Well, apparently I was wrong. So, right now there are two options: you make it fully studio financed or you co-finance it with the studio.’ So we entered a protracted negotiation with Universal trying to get it made in different pockets of the studio.”

After realizing he hadn’t told anybody about this, he confirmed, “It is happening. It’s taking us a longer time to build it, but what we did was reconfigured it. You know, Mallrats is a 20 year old movie, and the idea of sequelizing a 20-year-old movie to some people is like, ‘Why would you bother? It wasn’t successful the first time. What’d you guys make?’ We’re like, ‘Two million?’ ‘Alright, well, I don’t know if the world is screaming out for this.’ However, I went and directed an episode of The Flash, and when I went up there, it was kind of a weird game changer for my career. I felt at home in the medium.

“And suddenly because I did the episode of The Flash, like MGM reached out about Buckaroo Banzai and suddenly that came together and we went out and pitched yesterday and found a home for it. I can’t say who it is because that deal is not final, but yesterday we sold Buckaroo Banzai as a TV series. So, while I’m in that world and space, a couple months ago, we started reconfiguring the idea of doing Mallrats not as a film but as a series, and Universal and I are just about to close our deal to do Mallrats the series. Then we take it out into the world and find a home for it. So, instead of doing a Mallrats movie, I’m going to do 10 episodes of a Mallrats series.”
Old 10-15-20, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Honestly, the tv route seems more appropriate for something like this where it's centered on Brodie's kid hanging at the mall. At least a season or two.

Plus, they'd have a team of writers instead of a single 2 hour script from Smith which isn't his strong suit as of late.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.