Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Frozen 2 (11/22/19)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Frozen 2 (11/22/19)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Disney's Frozen 2 (11/22/19)

Panic! At The Disco recorded the lead single. It's awful.

Old 11-14-19, 12:17 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Probably because Panic at the Disco are indeed awful.
Old 11-14-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Probably because Panic at the Disco are indeed awful.
I usually defend my Vegas bands (even Imagine Dragons) but here, I have no counter.
Old 11-14-19, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I usually defend my Vegas bands (even Imagine Dragons) but here, I have no counter.
Old 11-21-19, 08:05 AM

Some of the more negative reviews are pretty interesting. There seem to be some decisions made that could be considered divisive. Some don't like the dark direction. I think the dark direction looks cool. We'll see...

I was going to go tonight, but I think I'll wait a little bit to let the crowds die down.
Old 11-22-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just purchased my ticket for this afternoon. I hope I like it more than the first one.
Old 11-23-19, 07:49 AM

Cryptic spoiler alert.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Leeloo > Elsa

I have spoken....
Old 11-23-19, 10:22 AM

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

FROZEN II (PG) - Disney’s icy princess-empowerment saga brings a (slightly) darker, but more engaging story to the table

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

GREAT YODELING YODAS, DID YOU SEE EPISODE THREE OF THE MANDALOR------

Oh, yeah,that’s not why we’re here, is it?

Just to let you know where my head was at going into Frozen II... Okay, so I did NOT see the original Frozen in theaters when it came out in 2013, which was a couple of years before I started this page. When I did finally see it on video, I was already burnt out on certain songs (one in particular) before I ever heard any of them in context. I really only “watched” it once, the other times I happened to be in the room when my grandson would put it on looping replay.

That’s not to say I didn’t like it.I just think, like a lot of older folks did, that I was not the target audience. I did enjoy the relationship between Elsa and Anna and the outstanding animation, but was never really embraced it like I did Moana, Wreck-It Ralph or Big Hero Six, also from Disney Animation. Fortunately, I can say I was more drawn into the sequel, especially when the adventure kicks in about a third of the way into the film.

A long-hidden secret is revealedwhen the very elements of nature seem to rise up and threaten the kingdom of Arendelle, and it is up to to the sisters and their friends to uncover the truth and set things right. At the center of the mystery is a mist-enshrouded forest, that no one has been able to enter or leave for more than 30 years.

What Frozen II does is bring a lot more history about Arendelle and the sisters’ heritage into the mix, though it takes a bit for the plot to get going. Once the band of Elsa (Indina Menzel), Anna (Kristen Bell), Olaf (Josh Gad), Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), and Sven, the reindeer, get to the mist-trapped enchanted forest (seen in the trailers), the story took off for me. Up till then, we get some flashbacks for exposition, a few inconsequential songs, and Elsa’s big anthem song “Into The Unknown”. As the film progresses, we learn a lot about Elsa and Anna’s actual intended destinies.

I know Frozen is known for its musical moments, and there is plenty of that in Frozen II. Kristoff spends most of the movie trying to figure out how to propose to Anna, and I was especially amused that Kristoff’s ballad, “Lost In The Woods” was done in the style of a 90’s boy band. Olaf, who is obsessed with his age, has a cute song about getting older, and most of the best jokes and asides for adults come from the animated snowman.

So, I found Frozen II to be enjoyable, interesting and fairly intriguing this time around. My personal rating for it is 3.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS (SOME Spoilers): FROZEN II is rated PG for action/peril and some thematic elements. The darkest element of Frozen II is the idea that Arendelle is suffering for the sins of one of Elsa and Anna’s ancestors, and that it is up to them to find a way to correct the terrible situation, which requires dangerous personal sacrifices. A battle of swords and spears between Arendelle soldiers and the indigenous people of the enchanted forest is told in flashback. Elsa, Anna, and Olaf are constantly putting themselves in danger for each other, with no regards for their own welfare. Elsa and Anna find out a LOT about their parents, and get some closure about their deaths. Elemental spirits (air, fire, water, and earth) are initially threatening, but everything turns out well. Anna is trapped in a circle of fire, but Elsa rescues her. Elsa fights for her life with the water spirit until she is able to tame it. The earth spirits are personified by rock giants, who look very scary at first. When something serious happens to Elsa, it has a tragic effect on Olaf, whose very existence is dependent on her. Fortunately, Olaf is eventually restored.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES:As the credits roll, we hear covers of the anthem songs from Frozen II by the likes of Weezer and Panic at the Disco (seriously). Once the credits finish, we pick up with Olaf recapping where he left off with a story he started earlier in the movie, to the delight of some surprise characters from the first Frozen movie.

ADULT ENJOYMENT-O-METER:7.5 out of 10.

LIKE the pageORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.
ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIESis protected under Creative Commons.
Old 11-23-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Wow, $41.8M on Friday alone.

Going to be a massive opening.

I'm going to try to see this on Monday. I'm seeing 21 Bridges tomorrow. Was going to see it Thursday, but got busy prepping for a work assignment.

Old 11-23-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw this Friday. Like others have said, I could tell I wasn't the target demographic. That said, I still found most of it enjoyable, but it was kind of boring at parts. They needed a strong villain or antagonist, not just some spiritual story. I knew deep down they wouldn't take the Infinity War type ending they seemed to set up , as it's Disney afterall. Still a privilege to here Idina sing.
Old 11-24-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Did you ever see Across the Universe?
Late with the joke ... No, I can usually only see about a mile if the visibility is good that day.

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Cryptic spoiler alert.
Wasn’t that cryptic ... first thing I thought of.

Surprisingly, I have never seen the first one. My youngest is in a Fro-Head so we ent last night (10pm showing was the only thing we could get seats together for). I enjoyed it well enough found, but found myself wanting to intercut other movies through the whole thing ...

Spoiler:

Evil Dead movies when they were using Sam Raimi angles in the forest
The Dark Knight Rises when Anna escapes the cave
Fifth Element when the fifth element is revealed

There were tons more at the time, but I can’t recall them now.

I think my biggest beef was a few times we completely bring the action to a halt for a song, rather than the song advancing the story.
Old 11-24-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the general plot for this movie started as one for a different film and then they re-worked the script to make it a Frozen sequel. It kind of gave off that vibe. I too noticed the similarities to a Bruce Willis sci-fi flick. Too bad Elsa never got a multi-pass...
Old 11-25-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Do you think there's enough interest for a spoiler filled review thread? I was going to start one last week but forgot about it.
Old 11-25-19, 10:51 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Eh, give it a shot.
Old 11-25-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Yeah I should have done it last week. Oh well. Here it is.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...-spoilers.html
Old 01-05-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

With $1.32 billion it's now the highest grossing animated movie, since Disney considers Lion King "live action".