Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Dumbo (2019, D: Burton) S: Farrell, Keaton, DeVito, Green, Parker, Hobbins

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Dumbo (2019, D: Burton) S: Farrell, Keaton, DeVito, Green, Parker, Hobbins

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Disney's Dumbo (2019, D: Burton) S: Farrell, Keaton, DeVito, Green, Parker, Hobbins

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Alice in Wonderland" AND "Maleficent" were both terrible IMO. And while not based on a Disney animated film, I'd like to throw in "Oz: the Great and Powerful". SUCKED!
No, no, and no.
Old 03-10-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
re: Disney's Dumbo (2019, D: Burton) S: Farrell, Keaton, DeVito, Green, Parker, Hobbins

And did you guys know that there's TWO Jungle Books coming soon?
Old 03-10-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I would like to see a live-action Little Mermaid.... rated R
Old 03-10-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Cast the Black Crowes as the black crows. BAM! Nothing of any importance!
Old 03-11-15, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Given all the news about the Ringling Bros. circus promising to stop using elephants by 2018, it sounds to me like there's a real story there waiting to be told that has nothing to do with a little elephant with big ears that allow him to fly.

Better yet, go to Africa and tell a story about elephant herds being attacked by poachers.

There's lots of great elephant stories out there and none of them are anything like Dumbo.

Call it Dumbo, I don't care, but make it an interesting story about real elephants.

Oh, and leave Tim Burton out of the whole project.
Old 03-11-15, 06:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The original is the first film I ever fell in love with. I'd watch it every day for close to a year before I went to PM kindergarten. I have no interest in a Burton reimagining. He's really become a lazy director for about a decade or so.
Old 03-11-15, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Given all the news about the Ringling Bros. circus promising to stop using elephants by 2018, it sounds to me like there's a real story there waiting to be told that has nothing to do with a little elephant with big ears that allow him to fly.

Better yet, go to Africa and tell a story about elephant herds being attacked by poachers.

There's lots of great elephant stories out there and none of them are anything like Dumbo.

Call it Dumbo, I don't care, but make it an interesting story about real elephants.

Oh, and leave Tim Burton out of the whole project.
About time.

I used to love the circus as a kid cuz... you're a kid and you like animals. Then you research shit and then a circus doesn't seem like a great thing anymore.
Old 03-11-15, 07:38 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Burton. Dumbo. Fuck that.
Old 03-11-15, 12:58 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Remember the successful Free Willy campaign for Keiko?

Now People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is urging director Tim Burton to give the baby circus elephant star of Disney's upcoming animated classic makeover Dumbo its own taste of freedom in the planned live-action film.

PETA on Wednesday urged the Big Eyes director to give a new ending for Dumbo where the big-eared circus performer is allowed to retire to a sanctuary.

"We're hopeful that in your adaptation of Dumbo, the young elephant and his mother can have a truly happy ending by living out their lives at a sanctuary instead of continuing to be imprisoned and abused in the entertainment industry," PETA senior vp Lisa Lange wrote Burton in an open letter.

The PETA call follows Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus choosing to phase out its iconic elephant acts. Disney's new Dumbo movie, to mix CGI and live action, is based on the classic 1941 film.

The script was penned by Transformers franchise writer Ehren Kruger. Lange, in her letter, added PETA likes the original Dumbo movie and storyline "because it tells the story of the heartbreaking abuse that elephants in circuses endure."

She adds elephants in film and TV shows, as in the circus, don't freely perform. They instead react to a bullhook, or a sharp weapon, used to control their movements.

"They [elephants] perform because they're afraid that they'll be beaten if they don't," Lange wrote, before wishing Burton gook luck while directing Dumbo for Disney.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20150311
Old 03-11-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

PETA is involved now? It's like a Continuously Swirling Vortex of Douche.
Old 03-11-15, 03:41 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

wtf is peta asking for -- that the elephants playing dumbo and co. be put in a sanctuary afterwards or that in the movie, dumbo ends up in a sanctuary? which would need to be a cage since mofo can fly
Old 03-11-15, 04:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

PETA shouldn't be worried about the fate of the elephants, they should be lobbying that no real elephants be used. In this day and age there is no reason to distress an animal to make a film.
Old 03-11-15, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
PETA shouldn't be worried about the fate of the elephants, they should be lobbying that no real elephants be used. In this day and age there is no reason to distress an animal to make a film.
This is something I've thought about a lot as I've grown older and more educated in how some film industries work. China is horrendous in how it has worked w/ animals. I can only imagine wtf happened to during Red Cliff, a damn fine film btw.

I also wonder what animals are we "ok" to use and what aren't. Dogs, cats, and horses seem to be fine but others probably dislike it even more. Fine in the US, here in the US. Not sure how other countries handle it.
Old 03-11-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

PETA? I try to be conscious of my surroundings and refuse to support terrorism. Will not watch.
Old 03-11-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Burton. I didn't see Big Eyes yet but I generally like his movies. Sweeney Todd is probably the last movie of his I've watched a 2nd time (and the same coulda been said for Big Fish before) so I won't passionately defend something I've only seen once like "Alice" or "Dark Shadows" when they seem to be pretty much universally-hated. That said, "Apes" is the only movie in his filmography that I actually hate.

In all honesty, I can easily envision an interesting Burton-esque Dumbo adaptation and I can't say that I can realistically expect that. Going off five-year-old memories I can't honestly say we got the Wonderland-via-Burton I envisioned either.
Old 03-11-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

No please noo
Old 03-11-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
This is something I've thought about a lot as I've grown older and more educated in how some film industries work. China is horrendous in how it has worked w/ animals. I can only imagine wtf happened to during Red Cliff, a damn fine film btw.

I also wonder what animals are we "ok" to use and what aren't. Dogs, cats, and horses seem to be fine but others probably dislike it even more. Fine in the US, here in the US. Not sure how other countries handle it.
In SNAKE IN THE MONKEY'S SHADOW (1979, I think), presumably filmed in Taiwan, the hero watches a baboon fight a cobra so he can learn how the "monkey" style defeats the snake style. There are no baboon or cobra "wranglers." They just let loose a real baboon and a real cobra and let them fight to the death until the baboon wins, thereby justifying the hero's choice of "monkey" style. Which begs the question: what would they have done if the cobra had won? Change the plot? Or find another baboon and keep doing it until the baboon WON, Goddammit!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-12-15 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Using animals to make a films is one thing, and it's reasonable, but I totally understand their devotion to making sure that if they are going to be used, they're going to be treated humanely. I'm not an animal lover of any kind, but I would never condone them being harmed for the sake of art. And yes, I do of course know that there are numerous examples throughout film history. It would also depend on the shot. CG can look bad, and there are some times when using real animals would probably look much better onscreen. Though I don't know of any elephants with giant ears that can fly. If an animal had do something dangerous, obviously I would hope that they would use CG. Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop audience members who wouldn't bat an eye at fake human suffering from crying if the digital animals died .
Old 03-12-15, 09:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And did you guys know that there's TWO Jungle Books coming soon?
After two disastrous live action versions in the '90s this makes perfect (non)sense.
Old 03-12-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Is having big ears an affliction because if so then just engrave Dumbo's name on that Oscar now.
Old 03-12-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yeah, the older I get the more I get bothered by animals in movies. I know cats and dogs somewhat enjoy interacting with humans, so as long as they're not put in harm's way I'm okay with that. Horses used to be treated pretty poorly, I'm glad there's somebody looking out for animals like this. No need to drag them into our cinematic follies unnecessarily.
Old 03-12-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, even as a kid, I hated animal movies like Dumbo, Bmabi, Lady and the Tramp, etc.

Still hoping theyll have a live-action Snow White.
Old 03-12-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, the older I get the more I get bothered by animals in movies. I know cats and dogs somewhat enjoy interacting with humans, so as long as they're not put in harm's way I'm okay with that. Horses used to be treated pretty poorly, I'm glad there's somebody looking out for animals like this. No need to drag them into our cinematic follies unnecessarily.
It's also the cheapest way to get the audience to sympathize or be manipulated. Even if it's 100% fake, audiences always react to the proverbial kicked puppy, so putting animals in danger, even CG animals, feels cheap to me because as a narrative device, it's usually flimsy.
Old 03-15-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Quote: Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Alice in Wonderland" AND "Maleficent" were both terrible IMO. And while not based on a Disney animated film, I'd like to throw in "Oz: the Great and Powerful". SUCKED!

Originally Posted by RoboDad
No, no, and no.
Care to expand other than telling me I'm wrong?
Old 01-11-17, 01:59 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

All those big ears jokes have led him to this...

EXCLUSIVE: Disney is circling with Will Smith to star for director Tim Burton in Dumbo, the live-action adaptation of the classic 1941 animated film. The studio is moving aggressively toward a production start with a script by Ehren Kruger about the big-eared, lovable elephant. This is an intriguing family film option for Smith, who is also working toward a start date with Sony Pictures on Bad Boys For Life, a reteam with Martin Lawrence which has Joe Carnahan directing his script.

A number of hurdles would have to be overcome here, but the Disney live-action transfer of its animation library has generated the kind of hits that are good for any star’s resume. Smith, whose latest film, Collateral Beauty, opened in the holiday onslaught and didn’t connect with audiences, would be joining Burton, whose last fairy tale adaptation Alice In Wonderland grossed $1.02 billion (Burton didn’t direct the sequel misfire)

Smith would join a parade of big stars who’ve starred in these Disney films, who have included Angelina Jolie in Maleficent, Johnny Depp in Alice, with Emma Stone to star as 101 Dalmations villainess Cruella De Ville and Dwayne Johnson aligned with Jungle Cruise. Stay tuned on this.

Smith has been shooting Bright, the Max Landis-scripted, David Ayer-directed Netflix film he stars in with Joel Edgerton.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/will-smi...fe-1201883196/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.