Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cafe Society (2016, D: Woody Allen) - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-09-15, 08:45 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Woody Allen has begun casting his 2015 feature film, and he has set Jesse Eisenberg, Bruce Willis and Kristen Stewart to lead the ensemble, I’m told. No comment from the Allen camp. As usual, the film is untitled and there are no plot details, and it’s being produced by Letty Arsonson, Stephen Tenenbaum and Edward Walson, his usual collaborators. Allen might be the one director who, when he courts talent, doesn’t really show them a script. Everybody wants to work with him and they consider themselves lucky to be asked and if they’re available, they say yes almost always.

Allen’s next release, Irrational Man, stars Emma stone and Joaquin Phoenix and it will be released by Sony Pictures Classics July 24th. Eisenberg and Willis are repped by CAA, Stewart is repped by Gersh.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/jesse-ei...en-1201388945/
Old 03-09-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Untitled 2016 Woody Allen Project - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

My money is as good as spent when it comes to Woody.
Old 03-09-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adventureland reunion. Nice. Sign me up.
Old 03-10-15, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it Woody as at a point where he can pretty much write anything, Sony Classics will foot the bill and the stars will come to play their parts
Old 03-10-15, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I take it Woody as at a point where he can pretty much write anything, Sony Classics will foot the bill and the stars will come to play their parts
I think it's been that way for quite a while. I'm shocked he still keeps churning films every year so fast.

Imagine if he took his time on for a change.
Old 03-10-15, 07:11 AM

It's good to see he can still stay on schedule even with the show he is doing for Amazon.
Old 03-10-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I think it's been that way for quite a while. I'm shocked he still keeps churning films every year so fast.

Imagine if he took his time on for a change.
I don't think the quality would increase if he slowed down. He has hits and misses but he's pretty consistent.
Old 05-06-15, 09:09 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Fresh from opening The Age Of Adaline, Blake Lively will join the ensemble cast of Woody Allen’s next film. She will join Jesse Eisenberg, Bruce Willis and Kristen Stewart, I’m told. As usual, the film is untitled and there are no plot details, but the picture is being produced by Letty Arsonson, Stephen Tenenbaum and Edward Walson, his usual collaborators.

Allen is casting the film as he prepares for the Cannes premiere of Irrational Man, which stars Emma stone and Joaquin Phoenix and will be released by Sony Pictures Classics July 24th.

It’s a good time for Lively, as Age of Adaline has grossed $24 million so far domestically as nice counter programming against the behemoth Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Lively is next booked to star alongside Jason Clarke in the Marc Forster-directed All I See Is You. Then she will join Allen’s film. She’s repped by WME and Management 360.
http://deadline.com/2015/05/blake-li...ne-1201422014/
Old 08-04-15, 12:12 PM

Woody Allen unveiled the cast of his latest untitled film, which will begins shooting this month on location in New York and Los Angeles.

As typical with an Allen production, the cast was listed in alphabetical order, just like the credits appear onscreen.

The cast includes Jeannie Berlin (the daughter of Elaine May and a supporting actress Oscar nominee for The Heartbreak Kid), Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Corey Stoll, Ken Stott and Bruce Willis. Co-stars are Anna Camp, Stephen Kunken, Sari Lennick and Paul Schneider.

Allen’s new film is produced by his long-time collaborators, Letty Aronson and Steve Tenenbaum and Edward Walson. Executive producers are Ronald L. Chez, Adam B. Stern and Allan Teh.

The film marks a return to New York for Allen, who has pledged in the past not to shoot in the Big Apple due to its prohibitive expense. His last few films have taken place in places like Rhode Island (Irrational Man), France and the U.K. (Magic in the Moonlight), San Francisco (Blue Jasmine) and Paris (Midnight in Paris). But the film also marks an even longer-in-the-making return to Los Angeles. The last time Allen shot in Los Angeles was for scenes in 1977's Annie Hall, a film that took comedic aim at the city's lack of culture.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20150803
Old 08-04-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Well that Kristen Stewart retirement didn't last too long.
Old 08-24-15, 05:31 AM

Old 08-24-15, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Another flop for the "irresistible" Eisenberg/Stewart combo. If only Woody had directed AMERICAN ULTRA.
Old 02-19-16, 07:16 AM

Re: Untitled 2016 Woody Allen Project - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

Continuing its relationship with Woody Allen, Amazon Studios has acquired all North American rights to the director’s new movie, which stars Jeannie Berlin, Steve Carell, Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Corey Stoll and Ken Stott.

A romantic comedy set in the 1930s that was shot last summer in New York and Los Angeles, the untitled film will receive a traditional theatrical release nationwide, after which it will become available exclusively to Prime members through Prime Video.

Producers of the new film include Allen’s longtime collaborator Letty Aronson, as well as Steve Tenenbaum and Edward Walson. Executive producers are Ronald L. Chez, Adam B. Stern and Marc I. Stern.

“Like all beginning relationships, there is much hope, mutual affection and genuine goodwill — the lawsuits come later,” joked Allen.

“Woody Allen is a brilliant filmmaker. We’re so proud to be in business with him for both his next film and his first ever TV series,” said Roy Price, head of Amazon Studios.

Allen is also writing and directing an untitled six-episode TV series for Amazon starring himself, Elaine May and Miley Cyrus. It’s executive produced by Erika Aronson, produced by Helen Robin, and begins shooting next month.

The movie deal was negotiated by John Burnham and Jessica Lacy of ICM Partners, Erika Aronson of Taborlake and Loeb & Loeb on behalf of the filmmakers.

- See more at: http://www.thewrap.com/woody-allens-...-amazon/#.dpuf
Old 02-19-16, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Untitled 2016 Woody Allen Project - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Another flop for the "irresistible" Eisenberg/Stewart combo.
They are the poor man's Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper.
Old 04-19-16, 11:32 AM

re: Cafe Society (2016, D: Woody Allen) - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

Coming from the latest issue of Film and Digital Times (via Woody Allen Pages), they provide our first look at much of the supporting cast, as well as an interesting use of dissolves. “The only thing that we did on Cafe Society was to establish, from the beginning, four different kinds of looks, but keeping an overall style,” cinematographer Vittorio Storaro says. “Like a symphony with four movements: A) The Lunar Bronx, with the life of a poor Jewish family. B) Sunny Hollywood, when the lead character moves to LA. C) When the lead character comes back to New York and he becomes the director of a nightclub, we see the New York of rich people, going to dinner in tuxedoes. D) The last part of the story, in L.A. and in N.Y. where the natural and artificial lights are influencing each other.”

Cafe Society will be released on August 12th following a Cannes premiere.

Check out the new images below

Old 04-21-16, 02:38 PM

Old 04-21-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Hey, that looks pretty good. Might be that one-in-five Woody Allen movie that's worth seeing.
Old 07-27-16, 09:17 AM

Looks like this is getting released a little wider this week.

Currently 74% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cafe_society_2016
Old 10-24-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Cafe Society (2016, D: Woody Allen) - S: Eisenberg, Stewart, Carell, Lively

Just saw it and truth be told, I've never been the biggest fan of his films (at the top of my head, I did love Annie Hall, Manhattan and Match Point) and I wasn't that enthralled with it. Eisenberg was fine and serves well in a role Woody would've played 40-50 years ago but I didn't buy into Stewart all that much and I actually had more interest in the brother character, Ben (played by Corey Stoll) than any of the other characters.

***/*****, (C+, 6.2/10, 2.5/4)
Old 02-05-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I watched this this afternoon and overall I liked it, but I thought that Kristen Stewart drug the film down. She can't emote to save her life. Her expression didn't change much at all throughout the movie. I think she can be a good actress. I really liked her in Adventureland and Into The Wild. I just couldn't buy into her being the object of both Bobby and Phil's affections. Especially in a town like LA where there are beautiful women everywhere.

I would have liked to see Blake Lively in her role. They could have toned her looks down so she didn't scream bombshell so much.

3/5
Old 02-05-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

watched this on Amazon Prime a few weeks back, -in UHD, no less, -and I just found it a complete waste of time. It just didn't seem to have an overall point that made it worth the journey.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-17-17 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Saw this today and it was pretty cool. The cinematography and production design obviously steal the show. It really was like watching something out of technicolor. The scenery was great and they did a remarkable job recreating the 1930's club scene. I checked it out on DVD from the library, so I will wait until it's less than $10 to get it on BD.