Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies where you Can't Handle the Ending

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies where you Can't Handle the Ending

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Movies where you Can't Handle the Ending

Originally Posted by joliom
Another one for me: Hitch. I found it to be a pleasant enough romantic comedy up until the end. I can't stand how when Eva Mendes discovers that Will Smith is the date doctor guy that she somehow thinks it's okay to wantonly blow up two innocent people's lives out of spite. And then the part that really pissed me off: the onus is on him to apologize to her. Her behavior was so outrageous and showed her to be so selfish and vindictive (whether she later regretted it or not), that he really needed to cut her loose. With that final reveal, I really wanted a Gone with the Wind type of ending.
"Girl, I dun give a shit. Welcome to erf."
Old 03-09-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, it was better when his backstory was left ambiguous. He could be anybody up until that point.
I think the reason for the backstory is that he's supposed to be the opposite of Robert Duvall's character.
Old 03-09-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I could have done without Robert Duvall's character as well. Or at least all of the backstory about his emotionally unstable wife and impending retirement woes. The story just needed someone rational to react and reflect on Douglas' crime spree - someone who isn't unstable themselves or just a mindless representative of "the system." Plus, in terms of the plot, it helps as a transitional device.
Old 03-09-15, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Falling Down but holy fuck do I hate Duvall's wife. Anytime it cuts to something about her. Such a soul sucking situation for me.

I knew close to nothing about Tuesday Weld aside from Once Upon a Time in America but holy fuck did she look horrible in Falling Down.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-09-15 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every Chinese movie where they throw in a last-minute deus ex machine to comply with the censorship laws that say you can't let the anti-heroes beat the authorities. Or, for that matter, that you can't have a positive portrayal of anyone the CCP doesn't like.

"A World Without Thieves" was a notable example. Great movie until the tacked-on ending. Curse of the Golden Flower was an awful movie where that constraint was painfully obvious.

I haven't seen Lust: Caution, but it sounds like it suffers from much the same issues.

Last edited by dugan; 03-09-15 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I like Falling Down but holy fuck do I hate Duvall's wife.
I bet you liked her here :

Old 03-09-15, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah. And that's way after the fact from what I had as my Tuesday Weld exposure was OUATIA and Falling Down.

Reading up on her.... seems like she was a big deal in the looks department. Influencing musicians even.
Old 03-09-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ending didn't work for me because the director failed with passage of time. Watching the movie, it seems almost like he drives for 5 minutes, stops and that's that.
I can't argue with that. If I have one complaint about the ending that would be it. Still not enough to completely ruin it for me though.
Old 03-10-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

One of my least favourite films of alltime is Dancer In The Dark. I've never had a more difficult time suspending my disbelief during a film before. Von Trier constructed the film in such a way that every bad thing that happens to Bjork feels like it's coming directly from the hands of Lars Von Trier. I can't think of another film I've seen in my lifetime that feels so much like a derranged ego trip on the directors behalf. The ending is unbearable in a way that is not at all the films intent. So I guess you could qualify Dancer In The Dark as a film in which I can't handle the ending, just not for the reasons you'd probably imagine.
Old 03-10-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
I don't care if he's rational and sane or not, I just didn't want him to be evil. I liked the movie when he was just a normal guy who snaps because he can't take all the bullshit anymore and starts acting out. But when he turns out to be a violent narcissist of the Sleeping with the Enemy variety, it undermines all the biting social commentary the film had - up till then - established. It's like for the first two acts, the film is like Network or American Beauty, and then for the last act, devolves into a bad Lifetime woman-in-peril thriller.
This.
Old 03-10-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The ending to American History X is gut wrenching and hard to watch. Heck, I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.
Old 03-10-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

The Mist.....that ending alone is the reason why I've never watched but once
Old 03-10-15, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me Requiem for a Dream's ending is hard to watch..as is most of the movie. But I find the ending especially sad.