Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jauja (D:Lisandro Alonso)(S: Mortensen)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An astonishingly beautiful and gripping Western starring Viggo Mortensen, JAUJA (pronounced how-ha) begins in a remote outpost in Patagonia during the late 1800s. Captain Gunnar Dinesen has come from abroad with his fifteen year-old daughter to take an engineering job with the Argentine army. Being the only female in the area, Ingeborg creates a stir among the men. She falls in love with a young soldier, and one night they run away together. When Dinesen realizes what has happened, he decides to venture into enemy territory, against his men’s wishes, to find the young couple. Featuring a superb performance from Mortensen, JAUJA (the name suggests a fabled city of riches sought by European explorers) is the story of a man’s desperate search for his daughter, a solitary quest that takes him to a place beyond time, where the past vanishes and the future has no meaning.
<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8C8vYvgHlVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks interesting, especially the framing. I'm always up for some Mortensen in a foreign language speaking film. The way he's speaking it shows something of the character, I think. Mortensen speaks Spanish fine, his character is Danish though. And maybe the language isn't near as strong as his native one. I dunno. Anyway I also found that Mortensen did the music for this too. He's also a producer on it.

The runtime is of interest to me. Wikipedia shows 108 mins, as does *groan* IMDB. Which is an hour w/ 48 mins for change. Google though shows it as 3 hours and 28 mins. Like... Google "Jauja" and the film is the first thing to pop up and it shows that run time on the right, I'm on chrome so I dunno if it'll come up differently for other browsers. Dunno where Google got that but seems like it is 108 mins.

This came out in Cannes last year to some positive reviews. Looks like we're getting it here in the US now.
Old 02-21-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Jauja (D:Lisandro Alonso)(S: Mortensen)

Western + Mortensen = My ass in the theater.

Now if only we could get a sequel to Appaloosa.
Old 09-01-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw it last night and liked it. Some will equate it with watching paint dry, I found it to be a very haunting film with touches of Jodorowsky, Herzog & Lynch.

4/5
Old 09-01-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm definitely interested.