Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Post your favorite guilty pleasure.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Post your favorite guilty pleasure.

Old 03-18-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Post your favorite guilty pleasure.

Not sure why the first poster I found was the Italian version, but there you go:

Sahara
Old 03-18-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan and, although I know he hated that movie (he even encouraged his fans to not watch it when it was released theatrically), I personally love it.
Old 03-18-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trickshot
Sorority Boys. It's terrible, but I find some scenes so funny, no matter how many times I watch it.

Bandidas. It's just a boatload of fun. And the cast look like they are having fun.

There are more, but these are probably the biggest.
Love those two as well.
Old 03-18-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Treat Williams campy performance is great.
Old 03-20-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Blended
Old 03-20-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mike45

Treat Williams campy performance is great.
Especially his final scene!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLUSwJuMjWo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-18, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Top 10 Guilty Pleasure Movies

Hi All,

First off, if this thread has been posted before, my apologies, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes...If you have to consolidate it into another post, then my bad...Just thought I would post my thoughts...I don't want to tick anyone off, I am just hoping for some open discussion, and that's all...If you need to delete this, then so be it...I'm still learning about this forum...

Here is a list of my favorite Guilty Pleasure Movies...I kind of classify them as movies that weren't really appreciated at the time of their release or still aren't very appreciated...Many of the Guilty Pleasure Movies have certain flaws but for whatever reason are still enjoyable. The types of movies that you can just sit back and watch and you don't have to think too much...Here they are...

1. Captain Ron - Loved this movie since I was a kid. Kurt Russell plays the funny role and Martin Short plays the more serious role. Awesome scenery, as they filmed it in the Caribbean...Good action, subtle humour...Russell really steals the movie...Wish he had more chances to display his comedic chops (he was also pretty hilarious in Big Trouble in Little China)...

2. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan - Mentioned this in one of my other threads. Again, it may be the cheesiest of the Friday movies, but that's kind of why I like it...Also like how most of it clearly takes place in Vancouver...And the cruise ship looks more like a decommissioned oil tanker...And when Jason does get to Manhattan there's a lot of hilarious set-pieces...Not sure why a lot of people label this the worst of the Friday movies, especially when you have to consider garbage like Part V, Jason X, and Jason Goes to Hell...

3. Clifford - Another comedy starring Martin Short. Plays a precocious, bratty kid, and Charles Grodin is his uncle. Surprisingly dark comedy...This is another one I saw as a kid and would re-watch every couple of years...

4. Weekend at Bernie's 2 - Yep, the sequel, not the original. Sometimes you just see a movie at a certain age and it stays with you. The actor playing Bernie is hilarious and doesn't say a word...A stupid movie, but whatever...

5. Police Academy Series - Cheating here, but I have to admit I'm a fan of the entire series. I was at Best Buy the day the DVD boxset came out and had a blast binge-watching them over the course of the next two days. These movies were staples whenever our parents would send me and brother to the video store...Chances are, at least one of the movies we came back with was a Police Academy movie...The only one my parents did not like us to rent too often was the first one, as unbeknownst to them it had quite a bit of female nudity...They clued in probably the third time they caught us watching it and said "uh-uh"...

6. Just Before Dawn - I think this horror movie is very well made, but I'm including it on this list because it seems like most people I show it to consider it trash. I'll argue all day long that it's an awesome, underrated movie, but I see their point when it comes to some of the acting and some of the direction...

7. Street Fighter - Was a giant fan of the video game and saw this when it first came to theatres...The acting is ridiculously over-the-top...The plot is kind of weak, but I loved seeing my favorite video games come to life. Van Damme kicked ass, Raul Julia was awesome, and I got a kick out of seeing Kylie Minogue playing Cammy...Was also just impressed by how many characters they managed to fit in the movie...Steven de Souza is an underrated writer in my mind...He did some great action movies in the '80s and '90s...

8. Deliberate Stranger - A two-part TV movie made in the '80s about Ted Bundy. Picked up the Warner Brothers MOD disc on a whim and thought the two-parter was fantastic. Mark Harmon makes a very creepy Ted Bundy...It's a TV Movie, so the violence and gore is very toned down, but the director does a great job implying the violence that takes place...The weird score also helps...I also just like watching it over the course of two nights, as it was originally shown, and thinking about being back in the '80s when it first came out and what an event these TV Movies were (back when maybe most people had 10-12 channels)...

9. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - I avoided seeing this movie for years because I generally hate Stephen Sommers movies (especially the Mummy movies he did with Brendan Fraser)...Finally caught this at a friends house and couldn't believe how much fun it was. Unlike the Transformers movies, which made the characters look like a bland blob of steel machinery, the G.I. Joe movie really kept the character designs from the cartoons and the toys...Was also surprisingly impressed with the acting and the plot...It did feel like I was watching one of the original cartoons come to life, which was much welcome in my mind...The sequel sucked, though...

10. The Punisher - The Dolph Lundgren version from the late '80s/early '90s. I thought this was great, and the most accurate depiction of the Punisher (until the Netflix version came out, of course). A little pissed that they never put the skeleton on his chest, but I think it's a pretty well-made action movie...And for it's time, it was surprisingly violent...Would've thought Marvel would've tried to tone the violence down, like they did with the later Thomas Jane version, but this one was balls out...

11. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 - Cheating here, have to add one more. This is an all-time classic when it comes to cheese. I bought the DVD sight unseen when it came out at the store I was working at. It came with the first one. Me and some buddies put the movies on in the background while we played a game of Risk (I know, cool, right?). The first one was a pretty decent horror movie. The second one took it to a whole other level. Most of the time we just sat there with our mouths agape at what was happening on the screen. The acting is atrocious but enjoyable. I noticed that in years since many of the key sequences show up as GIFs...and rightly so...If you've never seen this, go buy a six-pack, sit down and enjoy...You won't regret it...On another note, the follow-up Part 3 is also surprisingly great, and it's hilarious because it was directed by the great Monte Hellman...His career had obviously taken a nosedive at this point (his high-point was Two-Lane Blacktop, The Shooting, and Ride in the Whirlwind)...It's a completely bizarre movie...

Omissions: Drop Dead Fred, Harry and the Hendersons, The Flintstones, Shoot to Kill, Silent Night Deadly Night Part 1, Dead Ahead: The Exxon Valdez Disaster (HBO TV Movie from the '90s), Deliver Us From Evil (TV Movie), Masters of the Universe, Spaced Invaders, Captain America (the '90s one starring J.D. Salinger's son Matt), Dennis the Menace, Super Mario Bros., Down Periscope, Sudden Death, Cyborg, Dante's Peak, The Towering Inferno, A Goofy Movie.

That should do it...Feel free to comment, if you want...

Thanks
Old 03-29-18, 06:17 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Top 10 Guilty Pleasure Movies

Old 03-29-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
Point made.
Old 03-30-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85

7. Street Fighter - Was a giant fan of the video game and saw this when it first came to theatres...The acting is ridiculously over-the-top...The plot is kind of weak, but I loved seeing my favorite video games come to life. Van Damme kicked ass, Raul Julia was awesome, and I got a kick out of seeing Kylie Minogue playing Cammy...Was also just impressed by how many characters they managed to fit in the movie...Steven de Souza is an underrated writer in my mind...He did some great action movies in the '80s and '90s...

Omissions:Cyborg

That should do it...Feel free to comment, if you want...

Thanks
Street Fighter is a fun movie. I remember I didn't like it at first but then it grew on me. Kylie Minogue was so damn sexy in the movie I can see why van damme had an affair and fucked her.

Cyborg is another Van Damme movie I greatly enjoy.
Old 03-30-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 03-30-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Bicentennial Man

36% on rotten tomatoes

I absolutely adore this movie. Something about it just clicks for me. I think it’s just something about stories that take place over a large chunk of time time and seeing characters grow and age that really connects with me. It’s a very endearing story about family and growing old, loosing people and finding love. Yeah again I know cheesy but still love it. The music is really great too. I put a few songs in a sleep playlist I used to listen to and now my daughter listens to at bedtime. And now that I have a daughter, that scene where the father gets choked up watching himself dancing with his daughter at her wedding gets to me too.

Or maybe I’m just narcissistic because I share the characters name
Old 03-30-18, 06:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Bicentennial Man

Or maybe I’m just narcissistic because I share the characters name
So you also like Starman, Candyman, Repoman, ...?
Old 03-30-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Point made.
What was the point?

For me, probably Road House, but I don't feel guilty. It's a hugely enjoyable action flick.
Old 03-30-18, 07:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I love Captain Ron. Very good for repeat viewings because there are little jokes that are subtle, like his eye patch changes sides several times.
Old 03-31-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So you also like Starman, Candyman, Repoman, ...?
Oh haha. No the actual character’s name.
Old 04-01-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a lot of these. First ones that come to mind are Highlander 2, The Avengers (Fienes version), Death Wish 3, Malone... Too many to actually list.
Old 10-07-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[B]QUOTE=brayzie;12404191]Yeah, I read that somewhere too. The movie gets a lot criticism but I loved it as a kid, and when I watched it a few years back I was surprised just how well it holds up (to me). Movie Skeletor is up there when it comes to villains of cinema. Evil-Lyn was pretty good as well.

Hard to believe that's Frank Langella, the same guy from Frost/Nixon and Dave.[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite movies ever. Just rewatched Masters of the Universe...that movie kicks so much ass...Courtney Cox looks great...Frank Langella is awesome...Just a classic movie...

Last edited by Goonies85; 10-07-18 at 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-07-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surviving the Game. Ice-T and Gary Busey were great in this. I can see a company like Kino eventually releasing this on Blu-Ray. That would be awesome...
Old 10-07-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The Happening. I know it's terrible, but I enjoy watching it.