Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Originally Posted by islandclaws
There was a test screening of this a day or two ago and apparently the ending got blasted by much of the audience.

Also, I got some story details from a friend and, well, it doesn't sound like Blumhouse is breaking the mold on this one. Still hoping for the best.
Zombie broke a mold a bit and we saw how that turned out. As long as there is a creepy atmosphere, good kills, and some shadowy suspense I’ll be happy.
Old 04-22-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

I should say, I'm not thinking that's such a bad thing. The original was a masterclass in simplicity and suspense. If DGG and co. can come close to matching that then we may have a real winner.
Old 04-22-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m fine with a back to basics approach. No gimmicks, no bullshit just a good horror film. I’ve grown more interested in the idea of this being a straight sequel to just the first film. Hope it’s pulled off decently.
Old 04-22-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Halloween Whatever
Old 04-22-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Maybe the old slashers are played out. Michael and Jason had their day, but the zeitgeist has moved on.
Old 04-22-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe the old slashers are played out. Michael and Jason had their day, but the zeitgeist has moved on.
The only way this movie will work is if it got Myers targeting people from social media. His old gig is up. Myers would need to get with the times and learn how to use the internet, Ipad or a smartphone.
Old 04-22-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I mentioned it many pages back in this thread (or it could have been another Halloween thread) but IMO, the best way to pull off another Halloween movie is to set it in the early 80s. I mentioned Ti West for director after seeing what he did with House of the Devil. A movie I didn’t love but really captured a 1980s feel. A retro Michael Myers Halloween movie in similar setting would be awesome.
Old 04-22-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think I mentioned it many pages back in this thread (or it could have been another Halloween thread) but IMO, the best way to pull off another Halloween movie is to set it in the early 80s. I mentioned Ti West for director after seeing what he did with House of the Devil. A movie I didn’t love but really captured a 1980s feel. A retro Michael Myers Halloween movie in similar setting would be awesome.
That would be awesome. And House of the Devil is, like you said, a pretty great throwback movie (aside from the final third or so)...Best part of that movie is that opening sequence...The score is perfect, the setting is perfect, the costumes are perfect, and the camera-work really underscores this...I know I've started the movie for unsuspecting buddies and the majority of them do not realize that it was made in the 2000s until probably a quarter or halfway through the movie...A very effective movie by Ti West...And I love the version of the movie that was released on VHS...A very cherished possession...

I guess the only issue is, with having Jamie-Lee Curtis back, the concept wouldn't really work given her age...

Last edited by Goonies85; 04-22-18 at 05:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-25-18, 01:33 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

With a big smile on her face, Jamie Lee Curtis took the stage at CinemaCon in Las Vegas to show the first trailer to “Halloween,” the upcoming sequel to John Carpenter’s classic 1978 horror film that gave Curtis her big break in Hollywood.

“Aside from ‘Star Wars,’ I can’t think of another movie in which the same actor plays the same character forty years later,” Curtis said. “I am proud to return to the role that marked the start of my creative life.”

The trailer shows Curtis as Laurie Strode, now a grandmother, whose grandchildren are the subject of rumors at their high school because of the famous clash Laurie had with the murderous Michael Myers forty years ago. The spiritual scars of that confrontation still haven’t healed, with Laurie still training at a shooting range she built in her backyard, preparing for the day Michael comes back.

And on Halloween night 2018, that day comes, as a prison bus containing Michael “mysteriously” crashes. Laurie knows what that means, running out into her neighborhood and ordering the kids trick-or-treating to get inside. With knives and guns drawn, Laurie prepares as Michael arrives wearing the mask that made him an urban legend.

David Gordon Green is directing the film from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride and Jeff Fradley. Laurie and Michael will return to theaters October 19.
https://www.thewrap.com/halloween-tr...ole-cinemacon/
Old 04-25-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing I'm not getting here is, if Michael isn't Laurie's sister and he's been locked up for the past 40 years... why is he going after Laurie again? There's no connection. She isn't even the one who stopped him last time.
Old 04-25-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I'm not getting here is, if Michael isn't Laurie's sister and he's been locked up for the past 40 years... why is he going after Laurie again? There's no connection. She isn't even the one who stopped him last time.
The connection is with his home town. If you watch the original without taking in the sequels. She approached his house and he seen her through the door window. For whatever reason she "caught" his eye and he followed her and that started it.
Old 04-25-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Good point. This one wiped out all info regarding them being brother/sister, right?
Old 04-25-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was my question when the news about this movie first came out about the film ignoring the sequels and that Laurie is Michael’s sister. Unless it’s something unconventional like it’s all in her head and the trauma she’s gone through it is kind of an odd approach.
Old 04-25-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthVong
The connection is with his home town. If you watch the original without taking in the sequels. She approached his house and he seen her through the door window. For whatever reason she "caught" his eye and he followed her and that started it.
Is this one taking place in Haddonfield? Cause it would be silly to assume she stayed in the same town all her life after that. If not, he just happened to crash/get free right near where she lives?
Old 04-25-18, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
That was my question when the news about this movie first came out about the film ignoring the sequels and that Laurie is Michael’s sister. Unless it’s something unconventional like it’s all in her head and the trauma she’s gone through it is kind of an odd approach.
That's what I thought, too, but my source confirmed he is very much real and it's not psychological.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is this one taking place in Haddonfield? Cause it would be silly to assume she stayed in the same town all her life after that. If not, he just happened to crash/get free right near where she lives?
This was also a thought of mine. I'd have moved out of the damn country after something like that.
Old 04-25-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was also a thought of mine. I'd have moved out of the damn country after something like that.
Just like in H2O...which also stared JLC!
Old 04-25-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthVong
I’m not sure I really follow the logic here. Haddonfield is home to both of them but that still doesn’t necessarily explain why he’d pursue her forty years later. The only thing that I can think of is that she’s the one who escaped but how would he have kept tabs on her all these years? I assume he doesn’t know her name and she’s aged forty years so it’s not like he’d necessarily recognize her. Plus like mentioned that also assumes that she didn’t ever move, which frankly after her experience doesn’t make a lot of sense in my opinion. There are a lot of unknowns with where they’re taking the story but I’m inclined to agree that Laurie being the target forty years later with no concrete reason doesn’t make a lot of sense. Her being his sister made it more believable.
Old 04-25-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

With a big smile on her face, Jamie Lee Curtis took the stage at CinemaCon in Las Vegas to show the first trailer to “Halloween,” the upcoming sequel to John Carpenter’s classic 1978 horror film that gave Curtis her big break in Hollywood.

“Aside from ‘Star Wars,’ I can’t think of another movie in which the same actor plays the same character forty years later,” Curtis said. “I am proud to return to the role that marked the start of my creative life.”

The trailer shows Curtis as Laurie Strode, now a grandmother, whose grandchildren are the subject of rumors at their high school because of the famous clash Laurie had with the murderous Michael Myers forty years ago. The spiritual scars of that confrontation still haven’t healed, with Laurie still training at a shooting range she built in her backyard, preparing for the day Michael comes back.

And on Halloween night 2018, that day comes, as a prison bus containing Michael “mysteriously” crashes. Laurie knows what that means, running out into her neighborhood and ordering the kids trick-or-treating to get inside. With knives and guns drawn, Laurie prepares as Michael arrives wearing the mask that made him an urban legend.

David Gordon Green is directing the film from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride and Jeff Fradley. Laurie and Michael will return to theaters October 19.
Looking forward to it but not really feeling that description...
Old 04-25-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The idea that Michael has just been in prison for forty years feels a bit anticlimactic to me. I’d prefer to have thought that he just disappeared into the night. This isn’t sounding a lot better than some of the other sequels in my opinion.
Old 04-25-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m not sure I really follow the logic here. Haddonfield is home to both of them but that still doesn’t necessarily explain why he’d pursue her forty years later. The only thing that I can think of is that she’s the one who escaped but how would he have kept tabs on her all these years? I assume he doesn’t know her name and she’s aged forty years so it’s not like he’d necessarily recognize her. Plus like mentioned that also assumes that she didn’t ever move, which frankly after her experience doesn’t make a lot of sense in my opinion. There are a lot of unknowns with where they’re taking the story but I’m inclined to agree that Laurie being the target forty years later with no concrete reason doesn’t make a lot of sense. Her being his sister made it more believable.
From what I'm getting is that he's just went back home to terrorize the people there. It doesn't come off to me as it's specifically to get her (Laurie). She just still happens to be there. (I'm not trying to give any spoilers)
Old 04-25-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More details, from Dark Horizons:

Universal held its CinemaCon presentation today and a full description of the “Halloween” trailer that was screened is up at io9. The clip reveals that what sets things off is someone making a documentary about a murderer – Michael Myers. They visit Myers in an institute and show him the mask to try and provoke a reaction.

Cut to the granddaughter of Laurie Strode explaining her grandmother has long been traumatized by the incident and that, despite rumors, Michael is not her brother. Jamie Lee Curtis then appears as Laurie who has been preparing in case Michael ever returned – she’s trained up, has plenty of guns and has built her house full of secret passages and booby traps with one goal – when he eventually does escape she can kill him.

He does of course, and the trailer shows various incidents (set to Carpenter’s theme). One is a girl in a toilet stall thinking a creep is trying to get in her cubicle, only for Michael to shower her with teeth from a man he just killed next door. Another scene has a babysitter trying to close the closet door of the young boy she’s minding – only for Myers to pop out and grab her throat. The outlet describes the tone like this:

“What we gleaned from the trailer, as well as the presentation itself, is that this Halloween is going to be really scary. It uses modern tropes, like the true crime documentary, to tell a modern story of a woman who has been scared for forty years. A woman who had the worst night ever and since then has been dreading, but preparing, for it to happen again. And it does.”

It’s hoped the new trailer will go online in the next few weeks. An apparent report from a test screening went up the other week, but was quickly shot down when John Carpenter revealed not only had they not tested the film, but the film’s rough cut has not yet been finished. Carpenter consulted on the film and is doing the score.

Curtis herself showed up on stage to present the clip, at the same time jokingly apologising for 1999’s “Virus” and saying that only the “Star Wars” and “Halloween” franchises could still have the same actors appearing in the same franchise forty years later.

The new “Halloween” opens October 19th.

Huh. So... Home Alone: Halloween Edition?
Old 04-25-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

The idea that Michael has just been in prison for forty years feels a bit anticlimactic to me. I’d prefer to have thought that he just disappeared into the night. This isn’t sounding a lot better than some of the other sequels in my opinion.
Agreed 100%.

The ending of the original Halloween works so well because Michael is the boogeyman. He just vanishes into the darkness, and you don't know where he went, or whether he's going to come back. He might even show up in your neighborhood!

The ambiguity is what makes the original movie work so well.

Having him be in prison for forty years just sort of demythologizes the character, and makes him less scary.
Old 04-25-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

So, they have a 60 year old Michael out and about in a prison bus? Yikers!

After thinking about what I just read from the last few posts and info gleaned about the movie, it is sounding really stupid.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 04-25-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A documentary on Myers? Really that’s this great idea to clean the slate with? I’m sorry but this is sounding less and less appealing.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-25-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed 100%.

The ending of the original Halloween works so well because Michael is the boogeyman. He just vanishes into the darkness, and you don't know where he went, or whether he's going to come back. He might even show up in your neighborhood!

The ambiguity is what makes the original movie work so well.

Having him be in prison for forty years just sort of demythologizes the character, and makes him less scary.
Agreed. And imagine how well that would have worked for the Laurie character in the new film. You want to show a completely psychologically damaged Laurie (who trains nonstop and has booby traps around her house)? Having a Michael Myers that could have come out at ANY moment to try to kill her works a lot better than a Laurie who knows exactly where Michael has been for 40 years and gets alerted when he’s on the loose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.