Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Halloween 3 in the works

Oh, dont get me wrong. I like the film on it's own. Just not associated with the "Halloween" franchise.
Old 05-04-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't Nigel Keal do some work on the H III script originally before Wallace came on?
Old 05-05-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I like Zombie's movies. They're giddy and indulgently devilish. The Devil's Rejects was his best so far. I'm not obsessed with the style, the way his fans are. But I enjoy watching sometimes.

I was indifferent that he took Halloween and made it his own. Other than Halloween (the original), it's never been a great series.

I don't know what they plan to do with this one.
Old 05-05-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 673 Posts

I enjoyed the first from RZ but the 2nd was trash, IMO. Not that I really mind it but they were both too brutal to be Halloween movies. The originals were all about the suspense and atmosphere.

Like a few others, I also really enjoyed H2O. Probably my favorite to watch after the original.
Old 05-05-14, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the RZ movies, but I also hate the old ones except Season Of The Witch. The original is so fucking overrated.
Old 05-05-14, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The first one paled in comparison to the original, but was better than most of the sequels. RZ's Halloween II is the worst film to ever bear the Halloween name, and that's saying something. It's truly one of the most wretched films I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
Old 05-05-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Anyone know if Zombie is returning at all to direct (had to throw that question out there) - I'm guessing know as he said Lords of Salem was going to be his last horror movie for a while and that a hockey movie was up next for him.
Old 05-05-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The first one paled in comparison to the original, but was better than most of the sequels. RZ's Halloween II is the worst film to ever bear the Halloween name, and that's saying something. It's truly one of the most wretched films I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
I don't think I'd agree with that. In my opinion Halloween II, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, and Halloween: H20 are all better than Zombie's remake. I'd put Halloween III: Season of the Witch as being better too, but that's on a different level since it's not a Michael Myers film.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-05-14 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar
Old 05-05-14, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Halloween II is terribly overrated. To be honest, this series begins and ends with the first film. The third is an interesting diversion. The only thing of value from Halloween II is the score.
Old 05-05-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Halloween II is terribly overrated. To be honest, this series begins and ends with the first film. The third is an interesting diversion. The only thing of value from Halloween II is the score.
Funny I've actually always found it underrated. It seems to get quite a bit of hate (maybe it's mostly by online fans) for losing the suspense of the original and being different in tone. I've always liked the fact that it was a seamless sequel and picked up right after the first film though personally.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-05-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 08:38 PM
Banned by request

I always found it boring, but I've heard lots of people talk about it like it's a minor masterpiece. It's not a poorly made film, but it is a wholly superfluous one.
Old 05-06-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I keep hearing that the uncut version of II (or is it the directors cut?) is not to be missed. Personally, I thought both of them were pretty bad (although when the first one came out I believe I liked it quite a bit for some reason).

I'll probably the directors or uncut version a spin soon.
Old 05-06-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Part II had the unicorn ending or some shit.
Old 05-06-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I was actually angry after watching RZ's Halloween II. I've never seen another movie before or since where I legitimately mad after it was over.
Old 05-06-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I was actually angry after watching RZ's Halloween II. I've never seen another movie before or since where I legitimately mad after it was over.
I actually sort of felt the same way. Honestly to me Halloween II (the Zombie version) was almost too brutal. Normally that doesn't bother me but that combined with all the weird imagery and shit just turned me off of the film. It was one of the only films I've seen in theaters that I almost walked out on.
Old 05-06-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zombie needs to stay away from this franchise cause he doesn't have a clue about it. He took Meyers and gave him a ridiculous backstory to show why he was so fucked up. The whole point of Meyers being scary in the first place was because you didn't know why he was going around killing people. He had no remorse, no emotion. Just pure evil and wanting to kill each and every person who got in his way. Then Zombie comes along and takes a shit all over it. I grew up on the old Halloween films, yeah after Halloween 2 they started to suck but they were still true to character. Zombie took it a shit all over that franchise, they don't need a 3rd one, they need to reboot it and take it back to its roots.
Old 05-06-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Zombie needs to stay away from this franchise cause he doesn't have a clue about it. He took Meyers and gave him a ridiculous backstory to show why he was so fucked up. The whole point of Meyers being scary in the first place was because you didn't know why he was going around killing people. He had no remorse, no emotion. Just pure evil and wanting to kill each and every person who got in his way. Then Zombie comes along and takes a shit all over it. I grew up on the old Halloween films, yeah after Halloween 2 they started to suck but they were still true to character. Zombie took it a shit all over that franchise, they don't need a 3rd one, they need to reboot it and take it back to its roots.
Zombie giving Myers a backstory kills the mystery of the character.

Also, don't even get me started on Zombie's sequel. That made his first look like a masterpiece. Hobo Myers.
Old 05-06-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Not to mention the fact that Zombie turned Laurie into such an unlikable, psychotic nut job of a character that you end up rooting for Michael to just kill her and put us all out of misery.

Possibly the worst protagonist in film history!
Old 05-06-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I refused to see the 2nd Zombie Halloween after he fucked the first one up so bad. Glad I didn't see it especially after hearing how horrible it was.
Old 05-06-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
I refused to see the 2nd Zombie Halloween after he fucked the first one up so bad. Glad I didn't see it especially after hearing how horrible it was.
Watch it and enjoy a shot of your favorite liquor every time Laurie curses. You should be in the ER within an hour having your stomach pumped.

I just went through the thread for the second Zombie Halloween. I wish I had saved my photoshop of Myers with the snowboard.
Old 05-06-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching the first Zombie Halloween almost made my head explode, watching the 2nd one will probably kill me for sure. Regardless of any alcohol being involved.
Old 05-06-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Halloween 2 already took a shit on the Michael Myers mystique and that was before Curse really really took the most epic of shits on the character. Compared to 6 what Zombie did looks downright benign.
Old 05-06-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Whenever I watch Halloween - I just stick to MY trilogy of:

Halloween
Halloween 2
H20

That's the trilogy that makes sense to me. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Halloween Resurrection but the prologue to that shits on H20 and Busta Rhymes using martial arts against Michael is utter garbage. A young Katie Sackoff is okay, though.
Old 05-06-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Busta Rhymes using martial arts against Michael is utter garbage.
That scene killed the entire movie.
Old 05-07-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

As a kid I liked Halloween II just as much as the original, if not more. I'm 30 now and after years of watching the franchise I'd say I like the original just alittle bit more than part 2. But I still love part 2 and totally think its underrated.

Part 3,4 and the Producers cut of part 6 are all quite good too. Part 5, 6 and 7 (H20) are pretty average. But still enjoyable. I've never been more excited about the release of a film than I was for H20. I was 13 and it was at the height of my Halloween fandom. I told myself I loved it after I saw it, but looking back, I wasn't all that impressed, even as a kid.

Resurrection is the worst film in the franchise. The first 10 minutes with Laurie is the only worth while part of the entire movie, and quite frankly, that segment should have been the entire movie.

Neither Zombie film is very good and both were completly unnecessary.

However I do own all of them. Minus the Producers Cut which I'm still holding out hope will see the light of day at some point by Scream Factory or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.