Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

I’m not saying the films are rooted in realism just that I don’t see this film as a better alternative to the sequels we’ve gotten like we’re being led to believe, in which case I think wiping away the original sequels is unnecessary. I mostly don’t like the attitude that the film is taking when elements already seem as cheesy on the surface as what’s come before.
Old 06-09-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

I'm taking a wait and see approach but I did think that the trailer was badass.
Old 06-09-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m not saying the films are rooted in realism just that I don’t see this film as a better alternative to the sequels we’ve gotten like we’re being led to believe, in which case I think wiping away the original sequels is unnecessary. I mostly don’t like the attitude that the film is taking when elements already seem as cheesy on the surface as what’s come before.
Lets try this then. How do we go about the movie and not wipe away any sequels.

So the movie starts with Laurie still alive after having her daughter and faking her death and giving her up for adoption, at which point Jamie died after giving birth to Michael's babay as a teen, and Dr. Loomis becoming Michael with Michael retired. Or Dr. Loomis is dead. Or maybe Laurie is till alive. Hell who even knows anymore but bygod lets keep the sequels in continuity.

Wait, didn't Halloween 3 already wipe out Halloween 1 and 2? Oh thats right Halloween 3 isnt a sequel per se. But wait, doesn't Halloween 4 wipe out Halloween 2 basically since Michael and Loomis were both blown up(and we see Michael's smoldering corpse) but instead he's in a coma (with no burn damage) and Loomis only has burns on his face and hands?

They wiped out the sequels because they wanted to try something and not be beholden to continuity. And after seeing the clusterfuck this would be with the sequels then who can blame them?
Old 06-09-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Track one: Halloween '78' Halloween 2, Halloween 4, Halloween 5, Halloween 6

Track two: Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Track three: Halloween '78, Halloween H20, Halloween Resurection

Track four: Haloween (Rob Zombie), Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

Track five: Halloween '78, Halloween '18
Old 06-09-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I’d eliminate tracks two and four and count them as their own things. I mean track four is a reboot so it’s supposed to be different and
Season of the Witch isn’t really fair to count because it’s a sequel in name only. Plus it doesn’t really screw with anything in the timeline so other than existing as a separate film it doesn’t make a difference in the long run.

I still argue that you can make the other films work together too despite the fact that H20 designed itself to ignore four through six.
Old 06-09-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The only Halloween movies I remember is I & II. I don't remember the rest. I don't care for the rest either. Hell I can't remember the last time I played my Halloween IV & V on DVD. After H20 I lost love for the franchise. I said enough is enough. How much longer are you gonna yank the chain on your fans with this character that is faker than a WWE superstar?
Old 06-09-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would honestly say that the fourth (The Return of Michael Myers) is a pretty good film. It introduced Danielle Harris as Jamie who’s one of the bright spots in the franchise and Rachel is one of the better final girls in the franchise.

I kinda like most of the entries other than Resurrection and Rob Zombie’s Halloween II for various reasons.
Old 06-09-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I like I, II, and H20, with only a few bits of Resurrection (Katie Sackhoff making her debut - I thought she had a young Patricia Arquette thing going in that one). The Buster Rhymes bullshit was a death knell, though. After that film, they just stopped and started up again with the the atrocious Zombie films.

I think Halloween III is a masterpiece standalone film and am sad that it bombed, so they could never start that anthology series that was proposed based on that film.
Old 06-10-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

For me it's the ones that John Carpenter was involved with : I, II & III
Everything else was IMO Moustapha Akkad cashing in, fuck those movies.
I'm willing to give this new one a chance only because of JC.
Old 06-10-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I was able to get some info regarding these upcoming reshoots, the tweaked ending, etc. and from what I've heard, trust me, the reshoots are definitely for the best.
Old 06-10-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like they added some H20 flavor in a few scenes.
I like what I see and I'll be there opening night for sure.
Old 06-10-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
So, I was able to get some info regarding these upcoming reshoots, the tweaked ending, etc. and from what I've heard, trust me, the reshoots are definitely for the best.
Can you spoiler what you heard about the original ending?
Old 06-10-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

At the very least I hope the original ending/alternate scenes are included on the blu-ray.
Old 06-11-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 06-11-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-12-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i loved H20... but this trailer looked good. Sucks that this franchise was thrown around in 20 different directions
Old 06-12-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 06-12-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I loved the shots of the Sanitarium Courtyard.

I'll definitely give this one a chance.
Old 06-12-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I didn’t realize before this thread that so many view the movies as that complicated. I mean there’s not really a lot to figure out in terms of what’s happening. The main one I can see throwing people off is the third. Everything else is pretty standard horror franchise fare where continuity isn’t always exactly the greatest.
Old 06-12-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inri222
lmaooo
Old 06-12-18, 01:58 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

“Halloween” fans are eagerly anticipating Jamie Lee Curtis’ return to the role of Laurie Strode, cinema’s most iconic avenging babysitter.

It turns out, they have Jake Gyllenhaal to thank for it. The actor is a family friend — Curtis refers to him as her “unofficial godson” — and he tracked her down while she was on vacation in the mountains with her husband, actor Christopher Guest, to put in a plug for David Gordon Green, the reboot’s director. Gyllenhaal urged Curtis to take Green’s call. The two had worked together on 2017’s “Stronger,” which Gyllenhaal told Curtis was the greatest experience of his professional career.

Curtis and Green hit it off immediately. Green, best known for comedies like “Pineapple Express” and dramas such as “Undertow,” reminded Curtis of John Carpenter, the director of the original 1978 “Halloween.”

“They’re both laid back and don’t take themselves too seriously,” Curtis told Variety in a recent interview.

They’re also both able to deliver the scares. Curtis thinks that the upcoming “Halloween” will be a worthy follow-up to the original. It operates as a straight sequel, ignoring the nine, mostly loathed sequels that came before it.

“We shed all of that other stuff and just went back to what made the original so great,” said Curtis. “John [Carpenter] didn’t write most of those films, so it was just all these new people making up stories. But with this one, we just literally cut the line. Whether or not people loved or hated those stories has no relevance to this movie.”

The new film, Curtis promises, will be a worthy addition to the Michael Myers canon.

“It’s powerful,” she said. “It’s old-school. It’s terrifying.”

This “Halloween” picks up 40 years after the original. Strode is a grandmother, living in a fortress-like home. After Michael Myers escapes from prison and embarks on a killing spree, she has to protect her family. “Halloween” opens on Oct. 19.

Carpenter isn’t directing this “Halloween,” but he did come on board as executive producer. Jason Blum, who is producing the $10 million film through his Blumhouse label, said that it was essential that Carpenter give his blessing and that Curtis return to the fold.

“You can’t make ‘Halloween’ without John Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis,” said Blum. “If you did, you’d be starting out with two and a half strikes against you.”

This is Curtis’ third time revisiting the character of Laurie Strode. She previously returned to the part in 1998’s “Halloween H20: 20 Years Later,” an experience that she found disappointing. Carpenter and his producing partner Debra Hill were originally supposed to be involved, but ultimately passed on the project.

“‘H20’ started out with best intentions, but it ended up being a money gig,” said Curtis. “The film had some good things in it. It talked about alcoholism and trauma, but I ended up really doing it for the paycheck.”

That’s not true this time. Blumhouse applies a low-budget model to the films it produces. It’s what has made the likes of “Get Out” and “The Purge” so wildly profitable. It was an approach that Curtis embraced, and one that reminded her of working on the 1978 “Halloween,” a film that was made on a shoe-string $300,000 budget.

“We just went back to story and character,” said Curtis. “It felt like being on the original one, where no one was getting paid and we were just hungry to do the work.”

Blum said he’s never been involved with a project that’s as heavily anticipated as “Halloween.” Movie lovers are picking over trailers and promotional images for clues about what mayhem Michael Myers has brewing.

“There are massive expectations around the movie,” he said. “The fans are ravenous and they are angry because they’ve been disappointed in the past.”

Some actors feel burdened by their most famous roles. But not Curtis. Despite acclaimed turns in the likes of “True Lies” and “A Fish Called Wanda,” she’s content that most fans know her from on-screen standoff with the mask-wearing, knife-wielding Michael Myers.

“It is the greatest job I’ll ever have,” said Curtis. “My obituary is going to read ”Halloween’ Actress Dead.’ I know that, I respect that, and I’m just eternally grateful to have been a part of the films.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/h...um-1202842744/
Old 06-13-18, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I loved the shots of the Sanitarium Courtyard.

I'll definitely give this one a chance.
That's The Citadel, a military college in Charleston, SC.
Old 06-13-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I definitely liked what I saw. Having said that, I'm going to refrain from watching any more trailers.
I agree.
Old 06-13-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Long
That's The Citadel, a military college in Charleston, SC.
Michael Myers in a military college?! Boy, the more I hear about the goofy plot for this movie the more I dislike it!
Old 06-13-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Quick question. How is Halloween H20 usually said? I always thought it was said H-Two-Oh, but the horror experts on Entertainment Weekly radio said it H-Twenty.

Last edited by windom; 06-13-18 at 10:31 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.