Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-09-17, 01:01 PM   #276
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Thatís kind of what I was thinking. Aside from those few hours in the hospital, why exactly needs to be wiped clean?

I admit to not having seen HII in quite a while so maybe Iím forgetting something. Was part II when they reveal the Laurie/Michael relationship? I donít remember. Maybe Michael Myers will remain a total stranger to Laurie.
Loomis found out about the relationship but I don't remember if it got to Laurie during the film. Now thinking about it, I guess that have to write out Loomis as well or re-cast him, which would be blasphemy.
Old 10-09-17, 01:32 PM   #277
Time Lord

Re: Halloween (2018, D: David Gordon Green) - from Blumhouse & Carpenter - S: Curtis

I’m not as hardcore of a Halloween fan as many here, but didn’t Carpenter resent having to write HII and never liked it?
Old 10-09-17, 01:35 PM   #278

Wonder how they'll write out the Loomis character... I would hope a nod to Pleasance in some way.
Old 10-09-17, 01:38 PM   #279
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Iím not as hardcore of a Halloween fan as many here, but didnít Carpenter resent having to write HII and never liked it?
Not sure if he resented it but the original idea was for the series to be a new story every year, similar to how H3 ended up. Probably got pressure from the studio due to the popularity of Michael.
Old 10-09-17, 01:59 PM   #280
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHive08 View Post
Wonder how they'll write out the Loomis character... I would hope a nod to Pleasance in some way.
Well it's forty years later so it's reasonable to assume he would have passed away seeing as he was old in 1978. That's another odd thing about this film, going by the first film Michael was six when he killed Judith in 1963 so he'd be sixty now. Seems kinda weird to think he's still out there at that age. I suppose it's plausible but I imagine he's going to be a lot slower and stuff.
Old 10-09-17, 02:02 PM   #281
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Well it's forty years later so it's reasonable to assume he would have passed away seeing as he was old in 1978. That's another odd thing about this film, going by the first film Michael was six when he killed Judith in 1963 so he'd be sixty now. Seems kinda weird to think he's still out there at that age. I suppose it's plausible but I imagine he's going to be a lot slower and stuff.
Well they could reuse that plot point from H20. lol A few characters mentioned how old Michael would be then and how "it can't be him".

So since JLC is in this, we're basically erasing everything after night 1 and jumping ahead to modern times? That's A LOT of backstory to fill in for people to get into this.
Old 10-09-17, 02:51 PM   #282
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am still OK with all of this. Clean slate.

At this point just disregard the first film and start over.

Ummm...forget that last part.
Old 10-09-17, 02:56 PM   #283
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHive08 View Post
Yeah Loomis "killed" Michael at the end of part 2 by turning on the gas in the hospital and blowing up that room. He got permanent scars on his face after that which we saw on the now non-existent Part 4.

So Loomis shoots Michael at the end of Part 1 and then escapes, then we jump ahead 40 years later? It's one thing to pretend that 5 sequels don't exist, but now to pretend the direct sequel which was a continuation of the same night is now wiped clean and now we jump ahead 40 years is a lot.
Old 10-09-17, 03:06 PM   #284
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

just make it scary and they can do whatever they want.
Old 10-09-17, 04:20 PM   #285
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Now I want to re-watch 2 to see what story elements it has that this film is trying to wipe away.
Laurie and Michael being brother/sister is the only significant plot point introduced in Part 2. That's what they're wiping out I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Iím not as hardcore of a Halloween fan as many here, but didnít Carpenter resent having to write HII and never liked it?
Yep, and he was apparently drunk the entire time while writing it.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 10-09-17, 04:57 PM   #286
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This just sounds totally bizarre to me. IMHO, Halloween and Halloween II are two halves of a whole story. Halloween II picks up right where Halloween leaves off. I feel like they just go together, like 2 parts of a whole. So, JC is going to re-write the whole friggin' story (basically), wiping out everything that happened after the original Halloween?

I don't own anything after the original and Halloween II, I had 4/5 on a double feature but it just didn't feel the same anymore and I sold it. Picked up Halloween III recently but it's like its own story, totally independent of the Michael Myers saga. So, for me, I already have all the Halloween I need. If he's going to basically wipe everything that happens after the original, re-write history (so to speak), I honestly don't know how I feel about that.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 10-09-17, 05:01 PM   #287
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
This just sounds totally bizarre to me. IMHO, Halloween and Halloween II are two halves of a whole story. Halloween II picks up right where Halloween leaves off. I feel like they just go together, like 2 parts of a whole. So, JC is going to re-write the whole friggin' story (basically), wiping out everything that happened after the original Halloween?
Danny McBride and David Gordon Green are writing the screenplay.

Updated! My 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zMlgp-OTM&t
Old 10-09-17, 05:45 PM   #288
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Laurie and Michael being brother/sister is the only significant plot point introduced in Part 2. That's what they're wiping out I suppose.
They also might be wiping out the fact that Michael Myers is supernatural. He might be just a man now. In the original he was just a man. In the sequel after all he went through, he became supernatural.
Old 10-09-17, 05:51 PM   #289
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
They also might be wiping out the fact that Michael Myers is supernatural. He might be just a man now. In the original he was just a man. In the sequel after all he went through, he became supernatural.
I think there's an argument there in the first film. He gets up after being shot six times. Dr. Loomis is constantly describing him as a force of nature. Dr. Loomis describes him as pure evil, and refused to acknowledge his humanity.

Old 10-09-17, 06:23 PM   #290
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
They may be writing it, but Carpenter is EP and overseeing this project. So he will definitely be influencing how they're writing the script and if it meets his approval.
Old 10-09-17, 06:59 PM   #291
DVD Talk Hero

I sort of like the idea that JC is disregarding everything but the original film. It works well to pick up the series years after Michael vanished after falling out of the window. Not to mention erasing the whole brother/sister thing.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 10-09-17, 07:08 PM   #292
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
They may be writing it, but Carpenter is EP and overseeing this project. So he will definitely be influencing how they're writing the script and if it meets his approval.
But Carpenter rewriting the series sounds disingenuous to me. More like McBride and Green are eliminating the other films from cannon and Carpenter approves.

Old 10-09-17, 07:31 PM   #293
DVD Talk Legend

I could see taking out the films after two but I hope they have something really good cooked up to disregard the entire franchise aside from the first film. I realize that not all the sequels were the greatest but the second film was at least salvageable and really feels like such a natural progression from the first film that it seems weird to just throw it out.
Old 10-09-17, 08:39 PM   #294
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Technically, yes, but JC sounds like he is (to a large degree) supprting this endeavor so in my mind this is his project even though the screenplay will be written by others.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 10-09-17, 09:34 PM   #295
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post

I don't own anything after the original and Halloween II, I had 4/5 on a double feature but it just didn't feel the same anymore and I sold it. Picked up Halloween III recently but it's like its own story, totally independent of the Michael Myers saga. So, for me, I already have all the Halloween I need. If he's going to basically wipe everything that happens after the original, re-write history (so to speak), I honestly don't know how I feel about that.
I’m not trying to invalidate your opinion and I know many people feel the same way about Halloween and Halloween II being two halves of a whole.

As someone who never liked the franchise aspect of Halloween, I see Halloween II as superfluous, as I think John Carpenter did as well. There’s nothing in the movie that the first didn’t do better. I know that’s true of many horror sequels but Halloween II always felt especially egregious to me in that regard. A good storyteller knows where to end the story, and the ending of Halloween was perfect.

To be honest I’m not even especially interested in this sequel as I think everything past the first Halloween has been an attempt to get blood from a stone. The first movie is such a wonderful self-contained story.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-10-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 10:12 PM   #296
DVD Talk Legend

The first is definitely great on its own but I feel like the fact that Halloween II exists and is as good of a sequel as can be expected for what is a horror masterpiece makes it seem weird to just throw it out. It built on the first film and I always watch them back to back. It's not like the other sequels that range from average slasher fare (though I enjoy a lot of them for what they are) to crap (mainly Halloween: Resurrection).

I'll be curious what the explanation will be for having Michael choose to go after Laurie after forty years in the new film. What the hell else would he be doing that entire time? Obviously he's not captured at the end of the first film and I'm sure it's not like he's living a normal life.
Old 10-09-17, 11:50 PM   #297
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
I think there's an argument there in the first film. He gets up after being shot six times. Dr. Loomis is constantly describing him as a force of nature. Dr. Loomis describes him as pure evil, and refused to acknowledge his humanity.
True enough. But I think an argument could also be made that he's a man. Maybe not definitively, but its possible. We don't really know what happened at the end of the original if the sequel doesn't count. They could still plausibly go that direction (or any number of directions) if only the original is canon. It could be made believable. The same can't be said for Halloween 2 though. It's pretty cut and dry. From both the perspective of what happens to him physically and the Samhain narrative. You can't unring that bell. If they were going to make him just a man, cutting out everything except for the original would be the way to do it.