DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Cell (2016, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adaptation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/625013-cell-2016-d-tod-williams-john-cusack-samuel-l-jackson-stephen-king-adaptation.html)

dex14 02-05-15 08:10 PM

Cell (2016, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adaptation

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/john-cu-cell.jpg

The latest Stephen King adaptation, CELL, has released its first image today and readers of the book should be able to piece together what kind of chaos is taking place here. Clarius Entertainment announced today that they have acquired the U.S. rights to the upcoming horror thriller based on Stephen King‘s best-selling novel. King also adapted the screenplay for the film which stars John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, Isabelle Fuhrman, and Stacy Keach.

The synopsis goes like this:

When a powerful signal is broadcast across mobile networks worldwide, cell phone users’ minds are instantly and dangerously re-programmed. Heading north through New England in search of his wife and son, Clay Riddell (Cusack) is joined by a group of survivors hoping to fend off the bloodthirsty and hyper-connected “phoners.”

Michael Corvin 02-05-15 08:11 PM

Re: Cell (2015, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adapta

Still haven't read this one. It's on the pile. Hope to get to it in the near future.

Dr. DVD 02-05-15 08:23 PM

Re: Cell (2015, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adapta

Reuiniting the cast from Room 1408 it seems.

iggystar 02-05-15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12387386)
Still haven't read this one. It's on the pile. Hope to get to it in the near future.

Mine too. I guess I'll move it up nearer to the top of my "to read" stack.

Abob Teff 02-05-15 08:45 PM

I never thought this would be made into a movie.

The characters were great characters and it is a very "cinematic" read. However many elements of the plot and several "scenes" were taken directly from other movies. Yet, I am still looking forward to this, especially with this cast.

mhg83 02-05-15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12387386)

You should. It has one of the most action packed opening chapters for a King book. It does have a movie feel to it like King specifically wrote it to get it made into a film.

dex14 04-26-16 12:58 PM

Re: Cell (2016, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adapta

When a mysterious cell phone signal causes apocalyptic chaos, an artist is determined to reunite with his young son in New England.

Stars: Samuel L. Jackson, John Cusack, Isabelle Fuhrman

Release Date: June 10, 2016 – Ultra VOD, July 8, 2016 Theatrical + VOD

RichC2 04-26-16 01:08 PM

Re: Cell (2016, D: Tod Williams) John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson - Stephen King adapta

What's Ultra VOD?

dex14 04-26-16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12787032)
What's Ultra VOD?

Putting a film on-demand before a theatrical run.

RichC2 04-26-16 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12787043)
Putting a film on-demand before a theatrical run.

Gotcha, never heard it referred to as that (though I've seen quite a few "before theater" VODs). Thought it might be some special 4K version.

mdc3000 04-27-16 09:50 AM

I loved the book when it came out and have been waiting for it to finally get made into a movie...but despite a good cast - this looks like a piece of shit. That trailer was awful. Hope the actual movie can prove me wrong.

TomOpus 04-27-16 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12787250)
Gotcha, never heard it referred to as that (though I've seen quite a few "before theater" VODs). Thought it might be some special 4K version.

I was thinking along the same lines. They love to confuse us.

Why So Blu? 04-27-16 10:26 AM

Looks pretty fucking cool! I see King also co-wrote the film, as well. I'm in.

Obey The D 04-27-16 10:26 AM

A movie about a cell signal that turns people into dangerous lunatics? Starring Samuel L. Jackson?

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ne...vice_69692.jpg

;)

RichC2 06-10-16 07:37 AM

This is out today as a premium rental ($10).

Draven 06-11-16 01:39 PM

As with many King books, I thought the first 3/4 of Cell were fantastic and the end sucked. I'm curious to hear if this movie has the same issue. My wife's a big fan of zombie movies and her favorite part is always the "society breaking down" stuff so she might be into this too if it's any good.

RichC2 06-11-16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 12824120)
As with many King books, I thought the first 3/4 of Cell were fantastic and the end sucked. I'm curious to hear if this movie has the same issue. My wife's a big fan of zombie movies and her favorite part is always the "society breaking down" stuff so she might be into this too if it's any good.

I'm watching it now, it's so poorly directed that I don't think I'll make it 3/4 of the way thru.

dex14 06-13-16 07:08 AM

Yea... I heard this was atrocious.

RichC2 06-13-16 07:25 AM

I finished it, it was terrible, some of it so bad it's good, most of it so bad it's boring with bonus terrible special effects and non-stop stupidity.

Rob V 06-13-16 07:34 AM

Worse than The Happening? I liken this film to that... just some nonsense that takes over the human brain.

RichC2 06-13-16 07:57 AM

I actually never saw The Happening.

Abob Teff 06-13-16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12825278)
I actually never saw The Happening.

Here you go:

http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-11-2015/6nZFHl.gif

Now you have.

TheHive08 06-13-16 07:31 PM

I'm curious as to how different (better?) the movie would've been if Eli Roth would've stayed on as director. I had planned on paying the $10 to rent this, but all the reviews are making me second guess. Probably going to wait for Netflix/Amazon Prime now.

Abob Teff 06-13-16 10:19 PM

I actually liked the book. Not one of King's best, but enjoyable. Enjoyable enough to make me consider paying the $10 ... But, like The Hive, I think I'll wait for one of the streaming services or a free Redbox code.

EddieMoney 06-14-16 10:03 AM

My buddy rented this over the weekend and considered filing a complaint regarding VUDU with the BBB.