Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are movie thaters going to become extinct?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Are movie theaters going to go away
Yes. It's only a matter of time.
11.43%
No, they are here to stay.
45.71%
I think there will be fewer, but they will still exist
40.00%
Too early to tell
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Are movie thaters going to become extinct?

Old 01-31-15, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Are movie thaters going to become extinct?

Flying cars could have been made years ago. I don't see why something like a helicopter rotor wouldn't work on a car. The problem isn't the technology, but rather the problem is that people are just bad drivers. There are far too many idiots on the road. If they're this dangerous on the road, just imagine how much more dangerous they would be in the air. That I think more than anything else is why flying cars will never actually be created.
Old 01-31-15, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Biehn also said he believed they'd go away because people are getting so used to watching movies on their phones.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKiIroiCvZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

No one ever said you fat fucks had to buy over priced concessions. If you can't watch a film without buying overpriced snacks then that's your problem and don't give me that bullshit about it being some sort of tradition or "it's not the same" nonsense.

Good morning.
Old 01-31-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
The problem isn't the technology, but rather the problem is that people are just bad drivers. There are far too many idiots on the road.
This is exactly the reason. If we can't handle driving on the ground how could anyone handle driving 500 feet in the air?
Old 01-31-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

No they are a profitable business. I am sure some lose money but many are great revenue makers.
Old 01-31-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
This is exactly the reason. If we can't handle driving on the ground how could anyone handle driving 500 feet in the air?
Yeah I can only imagine how dangerous flying cars would be. Not only do you run the risk of more accidents in the air, but things falling from the sky harming or killing people, wrecking other cars on the road, destroying buildings, etc. It probably really isn't a good idea.
Old 01-31-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Aren't theaters actually expanding overseas? Most box-office hits gets a big percentage (sometimes over 70%) of ticket sales from overseas markets.
Old 01-31-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Aren't theaters actually expanding overseas? Most box-office hits gets a big percentage (sometimes over 70%) of ticket sales from overseas markets.
All forms of media, whether it be TV or movies, seem to be more popular in foreign territories. Home video is still thriving in places like Asia and Europe, but some of that might have to do with their internet infrastructures which is nothing like it is here in the US.

I can't imagine digital ownership or streaming being adopted at the rate it is here for that reason alone.
Old 01-31-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes theaters are going to go away. Two types of films will be produced:
1. Smaller independent films direct to streaming, cable and satellite.
2. Super mega budget blockbusters made by major studios. Each studio maybe two films per year. Transformers, Star Wars, superheroes, etc. Only shown in arenas in metro areas. If you live in NYC, Madison Square Garden. Reserved seats through Ticketmasters. Dates will vary by city dependent on schedules of sports teams. Think Ringling Bros.. Ice Capades, etc.
Old 01-31-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No one ever said you fat fucks had to buy over priced concessions. If you can't watch a film without buying overpriced snacks then that's your problem and don't give me that bullshit about it being some sort of tradition or "it's not the same" nonsense.

Good morning.
I usually bring in food from the outside or simply eat a meal before I enter the theater.

Only twice in the last umpteen years have I used a concession stand:

1) Christmas 2012: I went to a multiplex in the Bronx for the 12 noon show of DJANGO UNCHAINED, and then bought a ticket with plenty of time to have breakfast in the shopping center adjacent to the multiplex, only to find that everything was closed, so I had to get on the (long) line in the theater and find something that would pump me up enough for a nearly three-hour session in the theater (an energy drink and a box of candy was the best I could do at this nutrition-starved concession counter).

2) Recently I was running late for a 6PM show a couple of subway stops away from my office. My plan was to get out of the train, go to the pizza shop halfway between the subway station and the theater, buy a slice to go, wrap it up well and smuggle it into the theater. Lo and behold! The pizza shop was gone! That whole block was slated for demolition. (This is what happens when you don't visit certain areas of Manhattan for a few years.) So I just made it to the theater in time for MR. TURNER and grabbed a box of crappy candy at the stand. This is the Upper East Side of Manhattan, so you'd think they'd have some decent offerings at the counter, but no!
Old 01-31-15, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
2. Super mega budget blockbusters made by major studios. Each studio maybe two films per year. Transformers, Star Wars, superheroes, etc. Only shown in arenas in metro areas. If you live in NYC, Madison Square Garden. Reserved seats through Ticketmasters. Dates will vary by city dependent on schedules of sports teams. Think Ringling Bros.. Ice Capades, etc.
Studios are not going to produce multimillion dollar movies just to release them in a few limited areas. Comparing it to Ringling Bros and Ice Capades is just stupid. Their budgets are tiny compared to the budgets of blockbuster movies. man.
Old 01-31-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This might be somewhat viable for some smaller scale films, but I don't see it becoming normal for quite some time.

This is stupid and would never work realistically. Why would studios want to invest in a big budget for films only to release them limited and only through big ticketing vendors to be shown in big arenas? It doesn't even make sense.
Old 01-31-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Taters, precious?
Can't say I didn't consider the possibility of such a response but it made me laugh nonetheless.
Old 01-31-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know anyone who watches movies regularly on their phone, let alone views it as a replacement for movie theater going.
Old 02-01-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Every time I think people don't go to the movies anymore, something like Guardians of the Galaxy comes out and I see theaters packed to the gills on a weekend.

There definitely will be fewer, but I see them sticking around for a long while.
Old 02-01-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Considering the U.S. is less than 4.5% of the world population, it is surprising the numbers are this skewed.

All forms of media, whether it be TV or movies, seem to be more popular in foreign territories. Home video is still thriving in places like Asia and Europe, but some of that might have to do with their internet infrastructures which is nothing like it is here in the US.

I can't imagine digital ownership or streaming being adopted at the rate it is here for that reason alone.
This too!

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKiIroiCvZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I feel cheated and sad every time I watch a David Lynch film in any format.
Old 02-01-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know anyone who watches movies regularly on their phone, let alone views it as a replacement for movie theater going.
A replacement for human interaction maybe ...
Old 02-01-15, 07:30 PM

The big budget films that pack the theaters more than make up for the bio pics and indie films that screen to empty theaters. Not to mention the outrageous profits made on concessions. Theaters are just fine for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-01-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Indie films usually only hit up art houses, when they hit multiplexes, it's not for very long. They probably only distribute them in places where there's SOME kind of audience or awards buzz. Plus DCPs are probably much less expensive anyway.
Old 02-02-15, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

When I was in Paris last summer, I went into a video rental store and was pleasantly surprised to see tons of VHS tapes on the shelves.