Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Living Dead (D: George Cameron Romero)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-27-15, 08:34 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Radar Pictures has come on board to produce writer-director Cameron Romero’s “Origins,” the genesis story of his father’s iconic “Night of the Living Dead.”

Production is planned for later this year.

“Night of the Living Dead” was released in 1968 and starred Duane Jones, Judith O’Dea and Karl Hardman. The film, which follows seven people trapped in a rural farmhouse attacked by zombies, was shot in black and white for $114,000 and grossed $30 millon worldwide, spawning five more “Living Dead” films.

It was selected in 1999 by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry.

The new film’s story is by Romero, who will also direct, with a screenplay by Romero, Darrin Reed and Bryce C. Campbell. Radar’s Ted Field will produce with Aldo LaPietra, Campbell, Reed and Romero. Executive producers are Mike Weber and Thomas van Dell.

The project is set at the height of the Cold War, when one scientist tried to give the world its best hope for survival and instead unleashed its worse nightmare.

“I’m a longtime fan of Night of the Living Dead,” said Field. “I have tremendous belief in Cameron.”

“‘Origins’ is a great opportunity for me to continue the family tradition of creating haunting and ever-evolving depictions of the undead, and a great opportunity for Romero fans to see a story of zombie inception never portrayed before,” Romero said.

Producer Reed’s “Lila and Eve” will have its world premiere at Sundance on Jan. 30. The cast includes Jennifer Lopez and Viola Davis.

Field was a producer on “Spring Breakers.”

Cameron Romero launched a crowdfunding campaign in October for “Origins” and raised over $30,000 for pre-production costs.
variety.com/2015/film/news/night-of-the-living-dead-origins-movie-gains-momentum-with-radar-pictures-1201415205/
Old 01-27-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Rise of the Living Dead (D: George Cameron Romero)

It's just the project no one has been waiting for!
Old 01-27-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Can't wait 'til they cast Chris Pratt as the lead.
Old 01-27-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

This is just embarrassing.
Old 01-28-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I know I've not been waiting for ever since I saw the original NOTLD!

Is George dead? Why isn't he involved? (Never mind ... I just remembered how his last few forays turned out.)
Old 01-29-15, 05:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't wait to see this sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine!
Old 01-29-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Relax, guys. It's a prequel to this version
Old 01-29-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I can't wait to see this sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine!
No ... We need a prequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine!
Old 01-29-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Sure, why not.

I enjoyed Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead but have yet to see the one with the feuding families.
Old 01-30-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sure, why not.

I enjoyed Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead but have yet to see the one with the feuding families.
Survival of the Dead is a continuation of Diary (without the found footage stuff). One of the supporting characters in Diary is one of the main characters in Survival.
If you liked Land & Diary then you'll like Survival.

Last edited by inri222; 01-30-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-30-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Also, if you hated, hated, hated, hated Diary... like I did, you still might manage to like Survival... It's not a great movie, but I dug it anyway.
Old 01-30-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good to know. It's going to the queue!
Old 01-30-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather see Return of the Living Dead: Origins, where it's about a young Romero filming a news story on a military chemical weapons accident that reanimates the dead, and then fashioning it into a horror movie to fool the government.
Old 01-30-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I'd rather see Return of the Living Dead: Origins, where it's about a young Romero filming a news story on a military chemical weapons accident that reanimates the dead, and then fashioning it into a horror movie to fool the government.
I'd be down with that.
Old 01-30-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
To whom have you pitched this screenplay?
Old 11-02-17, 07:16 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Way back in 2014, Cameron Romero, son of the late George A. Romero, launched an Indiegogo campaign for a film then titled Origins, which was to be a prequel to his father’s Night of the Living Dead. The project, which we wrote an article in support of, ended up raising $30,000, fully reaching its goal.

So what’s the latest on all that? Romero has provided an update today.

Over on his Facebook page, George Cameron Romero has revealed that the project titled Origins will now officially be known as Rise of the Living Dead!

“Many of you know that I have been working to tell a story for many years,” wrote Romero. “My dad read the script and called it ‘genius.’ Many have approached me about making this film and I’ve said no to many because even though I’m not a ‘precious’ artist, this one is special… this one is mine… this one… is my love letter to my dad… to his work… to the fact that he was once called the most dangerous filmmaker alive… to the fact that society in 1968 wanted to shut him up as much as they wanted to celebrate him.”

He continued, “This one is the prelude to Night, the film that created the pop culture phenomenon that has inspired thousands of filmmakers from backyard auteurs to $180M features to the single longest running and most successful show in the history of television. This one has been a long time coming. And it is my absolute promise to you all that this film will be everything it needs to be.”

Here’s the plot for Rise, as outlined in the Origins campaign…

“Origins takes place in the Turmoil of the 1960’s just shortly before “Night of the Living Dead”, and explains how The ‘Original’ Romero Zombie was created. In 1962, Dr. Ryan Cartwright was on the scientific and altruistic path to find a way for humans to sustain life in the event of M.A.D (Mutual Assured Destruction), a huge topic brought on by the Cuban Missile Crisis. Little did he know that over the course of the next several years of his life, he would take a well-funded and military focused journey to the darkest corners of the world… as he creates the ultimate weapon for the government and a curse that will plague mankind for the rest of days.”

While we wait for more, check out the new poster art for Rise of the Living Dead.