Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anakin or Luke...which story did you like better?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Anakin or Luke...which story did you like better?
Anakin Skywalker
6.35%
Luke Skywalker
60.32%
What are you high?
33.33%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

as told by the PT and OT, which story did you prefer?

I'm going to have to say Luke just because I think the actors playing the various Anakin's in PT were atrocious.

Mark Hamill portrayed Luke with so much verve and just enough ham to make him someone to root for. while i love the character of Vader, the story was more about his rise prior to the mask...
Old 01-19-15, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anakin or Luke...which story did you like better?

Inane thread master strikes again with easily the most inane thread yet. Do you seriously believe anyone is going to prefer the PT over the OT? Seriously? This is easily the most one-sided question of all time.
Old 01-19-15, 11:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

After seeing the prequels, Luke is hands down the winner. Anakin's story could have been good, but Lucas fucked that one up.
Old 01-19-15, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
Inane thread master strikes again with easily the most inane thread yet. Do you seriously believe anyone is going to prefer the PT over the OT? Seriously? This is easily the most one-sided question of all time.
i not asking which set do you prefer, there is still a story of redemption with Anakin in the OT, which i thought was still powerful and made it a close race with Luke's origins...
Old 01-19-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Is this really even a question? Luke hands down and it isn't even close. The Prequel Trilogy wasn't good at all and the story of Anakin wasn't very interesting to see unfold. I think the story of his transformation into Vader could have been a lot more interesting, but the way it was done it just wasn't and it made him look like a whiney bitch more than anything. Also honestly one of the cool things about Vader in the Original Trilogy was sort of the mystique behind the character. Trying to make the entire Star Wars saga about the tragedy of that character sort of ruined some of that if you ask me.

Luke's story arc was much more interesting overall. Seeing him go from the somewhat whiney farmboy to his evolution to a hero/Jedi Knight who ultimately had to take on his own father to defeat the Empire was way more interesting and just told a better story in so many ways.
Old 01-19-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Luke

I hate whiny brat teenagers in real life, I don't want watch a three film saga about one.
Old 01-19-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I voted for Anakin because nobody else will.
Old 01-19-15, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inane thread master...yep.

Luke. It was just better. Anakin sucked. Bitchslap yourself for us, OP.
Old 01-19-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i not asking which set do you prefer, there is still a story of redemption with Anakin in the OT, which i thought was still powerful and made it a close race with Luke's origins...
The way your initial post is worded makes it sound like you're comparing the stories of the two characters in their respective trilogies. In some ways the redemption of Anakin/Vader is interesting but still overall I'd give the edge to Luke. The only real evolution of Vader was in Return of the Jedi when we saw his inner conflict having to choose between his son and the Emperor/the Empire.
Old 01-19-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I voted Anakin, as his story arc is actually far more interesting and developed. Specifically, I find the idea of a "chosen one" as a boy growing up, falling from grace and descending into darkness a cool concept; especially the circumstances around his fall and letting emotions like love, jealousy, power and the thought of death and the possibility of preventing it. Luke is more of your basic unsuspecting normal guy turned hero.

This is independent of the quality of the actual movies/trilogies themselves as obviously the execution of said story left a lot to be desired
Old 01-19-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Anakin is burning up on Mustafar screaming at Obiwan and my reaction was? "Thank god we don't have to hear that whiny bitch anymore."

Luke. The Anakin story just failed to move me in any dramatic way.
Old 01-19-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Luke

I hate whiny brat teenagers in real life, I don't want watch a three film saga about one.
Have you ever actually watched The Empire Strikes Back? Luke is every bit as whiny and bratty as Anakin is. Watch anything on Dagobah with Yoda and tell me he hasn't somehow become even worse after ANH.

Of course in Jedi he almost instantly becomes stoic and monk-like.

Consistant character development is not the series' strong suit.
Old 01-19-15, 12:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The OP's own answer seems unrelated to the actual question raised by the thread title.
Old 01-19-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Have you ever actually watched The Empire Strikes Back? Luke is every bit as whiny and bratty as Anakin is. Watch anything on Dagobah with Yoda and tell me he hasn't somehow become even worse after ANH.

Of course in Jedi he almost instantly becomes stoic and monk-like.

Consistant character development is not the series' strong suit.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he's as whiney as Anakin though. Luke had some growing up to do, but it was more just natural progression from being a young man thrust into a situation where he's supposed to be a hero and make his way into being a Jedi Knight. Luke's problem was more or less overcoming his doubt in himself to take on the responsibility that Obi-Wan had instilled in him to be this great leader and take down Vader and the Empire.

Anakin is more just whiney drama about being held back by the Council and having to hide his love of Padme and whatnot. Granted some of what happened was the fault of him being told that he was the chosen one and all that, but he went down the path rather than rejecting it and was upset over some of what came with his responsibility as a Jedi. He ultimately was much more selfish too and took some pretty drastic measures to save the woman he loved. In ways I could see where he was coming from but killing a bunch of Jedi as well as the young Padawans was pretty damn selfish and just made him a piece of shit.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-19-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 12:38 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This is just silly.
Old 01-19-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

This is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-19-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Luke is the better story but Anakin had a good plot that was told in three shitty, awkward movies. As suggested a long time ago in various threads....it would have worked as one movie.
Old 01-19-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Damnit, I meant to vote for Luke but selected Anakin by mistake.
Old 01-19-15, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Damnit, I meant to vote for Luke but selected Anakin by mistake.
You son of a bitch!
Old 01-19-15, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
you know they really do start out as legitimate arguments in my head. debating the two focal storylines in 6 movies isn't exactly inanity.
Old 01-19-15, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I voted Anakin, as his story arc is actually far more interesting and developed. Specifically, I find the idea of a "chosen one" as a boy growing up, falling from grace and descending into darkness a cool concept; especially the circumstances around his fall and letting emotions like love, jealousy, power and the thought of death and the possibility of preventing it. Luke is more of your basic unsuspecting normal guy turned hero.

This is independent of the quality of the actual movies/trilogies themselves as obviously the execution of said story left a lot to be desired
Old 01-19-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't have explained myself if I was joking.
Old 01-19-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Given what we ended up with, I hadn't really thought about it this way. I actually agree with your take in that Anakin's story could have been more interesting than Luke's. Of course, as it was told, it had too many jarring, inconsistent transitions to actually achieve that.
Old 01-19-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having just clicked over from the Landlords on my case about my cleanliness! thread, I am now pretty much convinced that OldBoy is a thread hoarder.
Old 01-19-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
as told by the PT and OT, which story did you prefer?

I'm going to have to say Luke just because I think the actors playing the various Anakin's in PT were atrocious.

Mark Hamill portrayed Luke with so much verve and just enough ham to make him someone to root for. while i love the character of Vader, the story was more about his rise prior to the mask...
Son... I'm worried about you.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-19-15 at 03:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.