Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Wow, the movie is playing in several locations and they're still shooting it? This director does sound innovative.
Instant cassettes! They out in stores before the movie is finished!

"Shot." Wrong tense.
Old 03-15-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not entirely.

Drag Me to Hell got a 92% back in 2009 with 239 reviews, didn't care for that one, but this looks to be pretty different.
The Babadook got a 98% just last year with 162 reviews, and that movie is as divisive as any here.
Cabin in the Woods got a 91% with 243 reviews, and again very divisive.

I'm having a tough time figuring out the critic/audience split these days. I really enjoyed The Guest (2014), that got a 90% on Rottentomatoes and a 67% audience score, and I'm the only one I know of around here (being not on the internet) that has seen it and actually really liked it.

Also to note, Horror seems to be a favored genre for critics. Since good ones tend to focus on atmosphere and direction over other aspects that bog down pacing
I absolutely loved The Guest; my second-favorite film of 2014.

On the other hand, I strongly disliked The Babadook. Talk about the hype train running wild. Sometimes I wonder if half the people praising it have ever seen a horror movie before, or they're just desperate to laud something as a "new classic".
Old 03-15-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It is odd that Babadook got to ride a wave of hype when the equally well received What We Do in the Shadows and Housebound (both are New Zealand) got next to no notice at all. Though the last two are horror/comedy which is probably why. There's a lot of interesting stuff happening with low budget horror lately, a lot of it is flying under the radar but I like it (even The Town that Dreaded Sundown was interestingly crafted)

And yeah, I rated The Guest really highly, I just really like that movie despite some obvious flaws in it. A lot of fun.
Old 03-15-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Director's shooting locally .
Do you know if any parts of the film were shot in Wayne County, or was it mostly shot in Detroit?
Old 03-15-15, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this last night. Decent horror films are so scare these days that of course a semi-decent one is going to be over-praised. I liked it though. Reminded me of Audition although it shares few similarities.

7/10
Old 03-15-15, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is odd that Babadook got to ride a wave of hype when the equally well received What We Do in the Shadows and Housebound (both are New Zealand) got next to no notice at all. Though the last two are horror/comedy which is probably why. There's a lot of interesting stuff happening with low budget horror lately, a lot of it is flying under the radar but I like it (even The Town that Dreaded Sundown was interestingly crafted)
And yeah, I rated The Guest really highly, I just really like that movie despite some obvious flaws in it. A lot of fun.
Personally, I think Starry Eyes is the recent one most deserving of praise, probably my overall favorite horror film since Sauna (2008). The Babadook, Housebound and Cabin in the Woods didn't do it for me, but then, I always take the hype train with a huge grain of salt. I'm excited for this one because everything points to it being right up my alley.
Old 03-15-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, now, I really dug STARRY EYES but I think it suffered a bit from the Ti West syndrome, wherein there's a great mystery slowly building... and building... and building... and building... and then it blows a quick load and ends. I did like the film, and I generally like West's films, but I'd like just a bit more meat on the bone.

Amazing score, though.
Old 03-15-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The main problem with Babadook was I wanted that little bastard to die.
Old 03-16-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Do you know if any parts of the film were shot in Wayne County, or was it mostly shot in Detroit?
I'm not sure, I know he shot his last film in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor, but the IMDB page didn't specify, it just just says Detroit and Michigan. You can see the Redford theater in one shot .
Old 03-16-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, the closest theater screening this to where I live (2+ hours away) is now showing this on the 27th instead of the 20th (listed in the screening links).

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not sure, I know he shot his last film in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor, but the IMDB page didn't specify, it just just says Detroit and Michigan. You can see the Redford theater in one shot .
Awesome! I'll be looking out for that.
Old 03-18-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the studio/filmmakers got a bit of pressure to open wider this weekend, so a bunch of new dates have been added!

http://itfollowsfilm.com/screenings
Old 03-18-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the studio/filmmakers got a bit of pressure to open wider this weekend, so a bunch of new dates have been added!

Yeah, we lost our opening date (it's getting pushed back now), asshats.

Is this still coming out On Demand next Friday or did Weinstein reconsider? This averaged $40,000 per theater last weekend, which is pretty damn huge for a no name movie with no name stars.

Nevermind, just read that Radius-TWC is now trying to say the On Demand was never official and will probably push for a theatrical release. However, they haven't advertised the movie outside of some lead markets so I don't know what they're actually going to do.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-18-15 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we lost our opening date (it's getting pushed back now), asshats.
The theater that was 2+ hours away from where I am told me (via FB) the studios changed their date a few days ago. Originally, I was asking them why their date of opening the film the 20th was changed to the 27th.

Now this film is showing closer to where I am, in some of the bigger theaters in the Bay Area. I think I'm still going to drive that 2+ hours down to Santa Cruz with a friend to see the film.

I think both Dread Central and Fangoria put out articles regarding all the shifting dates for this release.
Old 03-20-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw it ... Bottom line - there is a decent short film buried within a bloated, overhyped, mess of a feature film.

2/10

The lead reminded me a lot of Sarah Polley - physically.

I will spoiler the remainder of my comments

Spoiler:

First, the very premise leaves a lot to scratch your head over ... the "curse" is passed along via sex, but if the demon/ghost/whatever gets you, then it simply moves on to the next person down the chain. Oh, and it ALWAYS just walks straight towards you - a fact conveniently thrown right out the window in the final stages of the film. So, that said , why not just jump a flight to another country - BOOM! problem solved - as how the hell is it going to walk right across an ocean.

Second, the director and cinematographer seem to be far too interested in being flashy in style. Hey look - she's placing blades of grass in a line on her leg. Hey look - here is (yet another) spinning camera shot. If that effort had been put into some of the actual script (and the absolutely inane dialogue) this might have been a better film. Can you see that girl? Yes? Oh, ok. - or - point at the ghost. what does it look like? I can't tell you. WHY? If I told you it looked like a Starbucks barista would that make you not want to protect me?

During one attack - one in which a friend is actually hurt - no one really seems to even raise an eye. Again - why not just drive and keep on driving till you run out of road.

Early in the movie it is stated that the ghost/demon/whatever can take the form of someone you know, so you really are never sure who is who - that is, unless that someone is walking slowly right toward you. But when the thing changes forms (even in the middle of an attack) to someone just because they are hulking, evil looking, or pissing themselves - it just makes no sense.

Perhaps this is the new trend ... let's call it Z-horror, or - better yet - zzzzzz-horror.

If you want slow, methodical, stalking horror - go watch Carpenter's Halloween. Skip this crap.
Old 03-20-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Bastards. It was originally planned for 2 local theaters. Now neither one is on the list.
Old 03-21-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Bastards. It was originally planned for 2 local theaters. Now neither one is on the list.
Were they theaters listed to open on the weekend of the 20th?
Old 03-21-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Decent horror films are so scarce these days that of course a semi-decent one is going to be over-praised. I liked it though.

I agree with you.
One time viewing was good enough for me.
Like The Babadook, it's not scary, just suspenseful and creepy.
I def applaud the freshness and effort.
Old 03-21-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Were they theaters listed to open on the weekend of the 20th?
Yes, I had checked the list when it was first posted. I had planned on seeing it today.
Old 03-21-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I had checked the list when it was first posted. I had planned on seeing it today.
Bummer!
Old 03-21-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bummer!
Yeah. I am hoping it's still going to show locally at that theater, it's just that today I didn't have any other plans.
Old 03-21-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. I am hoping it's still going to show locally at that theater, it's just that today I didn't have any other plans.
The movie was delayed more or less, they're now planning a nationwide rollout instead of a split release on VOD which means bigger theaters will carry it. You may want to check that theaters facebook/twitter page, our local theater is showing it for 1 night (tonight) due to the delay and will put it into normal rotation when they get the ok.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-21-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, their website doesn't have a "coming soon" page so will see if they have something on social media.
Old 03-21-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Is the demon an STDemon?
Old 03-21-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ours reads:

"We are offering a special sneak preview screening of It Follows tomorrow night, Saturday March 21st, at 7:10 before our theatrical run begins on April 3rd. "

Might be fun to double feature it with What We Do in the Shadows
Old 03-21-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Is the demon an STDemon?
--

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.