Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Old 10-13-15, 10:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: It Follows (2014, D: David Robert Mitchell) S: Maika Monroe

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think there's a certain elegance in the director's response, which is that the rules of the film are delivered by a character who's pieced the rules together through encounters with the entity, not someone with a complete knowledge of exactly what the entity is or isn't capable of. So if "It" can do more than we thought, that's because the guy who told us the rules never saw "It" do those things.
That is indeed an excellent explanation.

Personally, I think it's kind of shitty for Tarantino to spend his time in interviews putting down indie flicks, but he's free to do what he wants. I respect him as a filmmaker, not a critic.
Old 10-13-15, 11:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He didn't slam the movie. It was blunt but it sounded more like constructive criticism to me. I'm sure some viewers had similar concerns.

I think I need to watch this one again.
Old 10-14-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
People have blown Tarantino's comments way out of proportion, IMO. It's not like he went in with an axe to grind about the film or said "It's a piece of shit." It's one of the topics that came up during the course of the interview, and he gave a minor criticism of the film which overall he liked while answering the question, then moved on to the next topic.
Old 10-14-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

If that's what they were going for then I REALLY didn't like it.

Also that doesn't really add up to me. Birth control pills don't stop you from having sex, nor are they a distraction.
Which is a bit of a reach. I know compacts and whatnot can look like birth control cases and that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her clamshell device. Being on birth control is a form of "safe sex." Or abstinence. She was both - assuming it is. I don't fucking know.

I may have to watch this again. Love that vinyl score, though!
Old 10-14-15, 12:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

He didn't slam the movie. It was blunt but it sounded more like constructive criticism to me.
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
People have blown Tarantino's comments way out of proportion, IMO. It's not like he went in with an axe to grind about the film or said "It's a piece of shit." It's one of the topics that came up during the course of the interview, and he gave a minor criticism of the film which overall he liked while answering the question, then moved on to the next topic.
Fair enough. The vibe I got was that he was putting down the efforts of another filmmaker, which seems to be something that most filmmakers avoid doing (unless they specifically have an axe to grind). I respect the fact that I probably got the wrong impression from it.

On a side note, it turns out I saw David Robert Mitchell's previous film, The Myth of the American Sleepover in 2010. I remember liking it, even if it felt a lot longer than it really was. Seems like the only way to get that film now is the French Blu-ray of It Follows. I might have to double-dip on this movie, just for that one.
Old 10-14-15, 02:12 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Which is a bit of a reach. I know compacts and whatnot can look like birth control cases and that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her clamshell device. Being on birth control is a form of "safe sex." Or abstinence. She was both - assuming it is. I don't fucking know.
Women are frequently on birth control to help regulate their hormones or because they get very painful periods. If she's abstinent she doesn't need birth control.

Again, if that's the image they were trying to evoke, it makes me like the compact Kindle thingy a lot less.
Old 10-14-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mitchell says that condoms don't stop "It," from what I understand. He said in the Reddit AMA that it's spread through any kind of sex, even if the characters are gay. How much you buy into that "unreliable narrator" thing is going to vary from person to person. Obviously, if the movie say down and laid out all of the rules, it'd de-mystify everything, so it commits to a limited amount of information and makes you use your imagination to fill in blanks. The line between where that's scary and where that allows the film to be flexible and maybe "cheat" a bit is probably going to be different for everyone.
Old 10-14-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Loved the old old school vibe that reminded me of the creepy 1983 film Sole Survivor in its use of atmospherics and score. Don't let the cheesy trailer fool you, it's a good film. The Code Red dvd is OOP.
See post #166.
Old 10-15-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the best horror movie I have seen in years. Granted I dont watch much horror these days. As over the years the genre has grown boring to me. But this was very well done.
Old 10-15-15, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

Not to detail this thread, but I noticed a few people mention Starry Eyes in here, so I watched it. What an absolute piece of shit. A neurotic, mousy actress ends up killing a bunch of narcissists to prove she's the most narcissistic. There was nothing scary or even creepy about the film except for how long it strung out the shitty body horror scenes, and how much bad dialogue and on the nose performances I had to endure. Honestly one of the worst horror films I've seen in years.
Old 10-15-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read the Wikipedia summary because I'd never heard of it. That's enough for me, thanks.
Old 10-15-15, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

I should also say I have a high tolerance for bad horror movies, unless they're irredeemably awful like Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Starry Eyes is boring as fuck with no likable or characters. 100% skip it.
Old 10-15-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I fell for the Starry Eyes hype myself. I wanted to like it but it just was not good.
Old 10-15-15, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I should also say I have a high tolerance for bad horror movies, unless they're irredeemably awful like Rob Zombie's Halloween II. Starry Eyes is boring as fuck with no likable or characters. 100% skip it.
Watch the director's cut of Halloween 2. I hated H2 in theaters, but watching the DC, it is much better and actually bearable.
Old 10-16-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Starry Eyes is boring as fuck with no likable or characters.
I didn't much like Starry Eyes, but I sure dig Amanda Fuller.
Old 10-16-15, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Watch the director's cut of Halloween 2. I hated H2 in theaters, but watching the DC, it is much better and actually bearable.
It's like a slightly improved piece of garbage.
Old 02-26-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry for the necro but I just saw this one and I'm halfway between really liking it and really hating it, lol. I do think they conveyed an interesting sense of dread throughout and the shifting time frames really messes with your sense of perception. I too had a real problem with the "rules" but after reading Supermallet's theory that people don't really know all the rules, it makes more sense. Also, I think that Jay survived much longer than most do so It had to keep increasing its skills and methods trying to kill her.

I think it's possible they killed It in the end but the uncertainty of that is reflective in the end.

And Jay DEFINITELY had sex with the three guys on the boat. No question.
Old 02-26-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm surprised no one here has brought up Quentin Tarantino's issues with the film playing fast and loose with its mythology:

http://www.avclub.com/article/quenti...zy-myth-224437

I kind of agree with his nitpicks. (Sticking to a set of rules is also something I appreciate from a horror flick.)
I think there's a certain elegance in the director's response, which is that the rules of the film are delivered by a character who's pieced the rules together through encounters with the entity, not someone with a complete knowledge of exactly what the entity is or isn't capable of. So if "It" can do more than we thought, that's because the guy who told us the rules never saw "It" do those things.
Tarantino is being too bitchy.

Within the context of the film, I think that it really works where neither the audience nor the characters know exactly how it is going to react, or what it is capable of. The characters may think they know the rules that it is governed by, but it's actually scarier and more disconcerting when you don't know for certain.This is actually much scarier than if they had found an old book that explained everything in detail.
Old 02-26-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie, but it is far from perfect. It does break its own rules too often, but as the director says, no one seems to properly know the rules to begin with. The movie could have done with some better acting, but i liked the creepiness and way it was filmed. I am actually very surprised that we havn't had a sequel yet.

It Still Follows...
Forever It Follows...
Old 02-26-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad Maika Monroe couldn't have parlayed this into greater success. I know she had Independence Day (eek) but I haven't seen her in much of anything noteworthy lately.
Old 02-26-18, 02:12 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Too bad Maika Monroe couldn't have parlayed this into greater success. I know she had Independence Day (eek) but I haven't seen her in much of anything noteworthy lately.
Have you seen The Guest?

She has a few movies in the can I'm looking forward to. One, in particular, is Hot Summer Nights.
Old 02-26-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
She had a strong 1-2 with The Guest and It Follows, but yeah it looks like she's primarily stuck w/ indies. She co-leads a Neil Jordan movie later this year, and is in the next movie from the Writer/Director of Ingrid Goes West.
Old 02-26-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
She had a strong 1-2 with The Guest and It Follows, but yeah it looks like she's primarily stuck w/ indies. She co-leads a Neil Jordan movie later this year, and is in the next movie from the Writer/Director of Ingrid Goes West.
I thought The Guest was fantastic, and she was great in it. I also really liked Dan Steven's performance...It was the first thing I saw him in and he played the role well...Kind of reminded me of Matthew Goode, a bit...
Old 11-14-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The kid (?) show The Amazing World of Gumball did a Halloween episode that ran with their own solution for the It Follows problem, lead the fucker to a treadmill.

Glad to see it randomly referenced