Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016, D: Michael Bay)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016, D: Michael Bay)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016, D: Michael Bay)

Remains to be seen if it's a sleeper hit or not... Usually has more to do with Box Office, and it's purposefully opening on the same weekend that American Sniper opened on last year in hopes of luring that same audience.

American Sniper opened to $89.3m/$107.2m over MLK weekend last year, grossing a total $350m (domestic) by the end of its run.
Old 01-14-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

I meant in terms of the quality of reviews, not box office.
Old 01-14-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
It doesn't appear to be a sleeper hit like some might have hoped. Around 50% on RT. The critics do say that the action is pretty good at least.
Ah, so that's why it didn't get an Oscar qualifying run like American Sniper and Black Hawk Down did.
Old 01-14-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Remains to be seen if it's a sleeper hit or not... Usually has more to do with Box Office, and it's purposefully opening on the same weekend that American Sniper opened on last year in hopes of luring that same audience.

American Sniper opened to $89.3m/$107.2m over MLK weekend last year, grossing a total $350m (domestic) by the end of its run.
What a shame. #murica
Old 01-17-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The movie doesn't try to do to much, decent look from the eyes of the soldiers on the ground.

Remarkably light on political blame game, once the shooting starts it is very intense and you can feel the tension that these men are facing.

The first hour or so is kind of slow, trying to build up a little of the set up before September 11th

Micheal Bay did not ruin the movie and kept his 'bayplosions' in check
Old 01-17-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What a shame. #murica
It is pretty impressive that into his 80s, Eastwood managed to score the biggest box office hit of his career. Has any other filmmaker done that?
Old 01-17-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I predict that this film ends up making less than what has been spent on the 159 sham Benghazi hearings.
Old 01-18-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw this Saturday. Probably Michael Bay's best movie to date. Granted, that means it's still three stars at best, but he showed quite a bit of restraint for the most part. I can also say that there is no finger pointing or naming of names in terms of who was responsible for the situation. It's merely of presentation of "shit's going down, we have to deal with it" situations.
Old 01-18-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It is pretty impressive that into his 80s, Eastwood managed to score the biggest box office hit of his career. Has any other filmmaker done that?
I was going to guess George Miller, but (a) he's only 70 and (b) Mad Max: Fury Road hasn't quite caught up to Happy Feet in global box office yet.
Old 01-18-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw this Saturday. Probably Michael Bay's best movie to date. Granted, that means it's still three stars at best, but he showed quite a bit of restraint for the most part. I can also say that there is no finger pointing or naming of names in terms of who was responsible for the situation. It's merely of presentation of "shit's going down, we have to deal with it" situations.
Yeah, there are quite a few articles going around how the politicization of Benghazi caused a pretty substantial public fatigue on the subject, so the timing of the movie wasn't so great.

It could have legs because of that, I think many had the assumption it was about the Hillary Clinton/Benghazi bullshit, or was otherwise political, and wasn't just a reenactment of the events.
Old 01-18-16, 11:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by flagstone
I was going to guess George Miller, but (a) he's only 70 and (b) Mad Max: Fury Road hasn't quite caught up to Happy Feet in global box office yet.
Ridley Scott was 77 when The Martian was released, and grossed more than American Sniper. So a close second.
Old 01-18-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Ridley Scott was 77 when The Martian was released, and grossed more than American Sniper. So a close second.
Worldwide it did, to be fair a movie called "American Sniper" is going to be a tough sell in Japan. Domestically, Sniper crushed The Martian.

That aside, I find Scott to be a much better director.
Old 01-18-16, 11:44 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I find Scott to be a slightly better director than a blind and deaf quadripalegic.
Old 01-18-16, 11:45 AM

Worldwide it did, to be fair a movie called "American Sniper" is going to be a tough sell in Japan. Domestically, Sniper crushed The Martian.

That aside, I find Scott to be a much better director.
The importance of domestic is so 20th Century.

The 4th highest grossing international market for American Sniper was, you guessed it, Japan.
Old 01-18-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just got back from a matinee. Not really caring or having paid too much attention to the politics involved with Benghazi, I thought it was a damn good action/war movie. It was a little mix of Blackhawk Down, Strike Back and Call of Duty. Very intense. 2 heart pounding siege scenes with the compound they were held up in. Also really liked the cast they assembled. I was uncertain about John Krasinski in a serious role like this, since I'm so used to him being Jim from The Office, but he sold me on his character. James Badge Dale IMO was the highlight. His character "Rone" was badass.

Most of the cast are fairly well known in TV land

John Kransinki - Jim from The Office
David Denman - Roy from The Office
James Badge Dale - 24
Max Martini - The Unit
Toby Stephens - Black Sails
David Giuntoli - Grimm
Dave Costabile - Damages, Suits, Breaking Bad

Solid work from Michael Bay outside of the Transformers movies.
Old 01-23-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

So much beard.

I like that it snubbed the political debate, and presented what happened.

Supposedly they were really picky on-set about including the details. There were a lot of little details that would be glossed over in many other productions.
Old 01-27-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
They don't appear to be acknowledging nor validating the conspiracy-theorist d-bags.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hrmm? I know nothing of the event so I'm in the dark about all this. Do tell, sir.
Democrats: We're gonna say it was because of one thing when we really don't know, but we can correct ourselves later.

Sane Republicans: This was preventable, there was a lack of security, that's inexcusable - and you don't have your facts straight over what happened.

Further right...: They wanted this to happen, there were teams ready to go in and they were told to stand down.
... Further right: Weapons cover up! Marijuana is a cover up! Syria is a cover up!
... ...Further right: Obama and Hillary set this up and watched it happen to get (one of the involved) kidnapped to do a prisoner swap to purposely let a terrorist out!
There certainly was a disconnect and whenever something like this happens where questions abound you'll have conspiracy theorists. They exist for JFK, 9/11, Pearl Harbor (most of them are dead though), etc.

On the political side, at the very least the administration lied about it being a spontaneous demonstration that erupted into chaos over a youtube video. In fact it was known right away it was a planned terrorist attack complete with rocket propelled grenades. Hillary's released email's cite her telling both her daughter and the UAE within hours of the attack it was a terrorist action. The simple explanation is that the current regime was running for reelection and an attack could certainly hurt their chances. The conspiracy lovers are convinced there are all sorts of deeper darker ulterior motives.

Have been talking about going to see this one this weekend since I love the war movie genre regardless of historical accuracy. Battle Of The Bulge wasn't even close to accurate but I still enjoyed it. Bay's Pearl Harbor though tested that dedication. Enjoyed Sniper and Zero Dark Thirty in spite of the artistic liberties claimed to be taken with the stories.
Old 01-27-16, 05:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

this one just looks so cheesy and not good. i want to see it, but Bay and a true story? really?
Old 01-27-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this one just looks so cheesy and not good. i want to see it, but Bay and a true story? really?
But it worked so well when he made Pain and Gain. That was true story. And it made for a great comedy, too!
Spoiler:
At the end you find out they got the death penalty! Hilarious!
Old 01-30-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well every review in here said it was decent/good, and it's bay's 2nd fresh tomato
Old 01-30-16, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well every review in here said it was decent/good, and it's bay's 2nd fresh tomato
looks rotten to me...
Old 01-30-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

looks rotten to me...
Look at the other movies he's directed. This one is among his highest scored. That's not too shabby for him.
Old 01-30-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I saw this a few weeks back during a free sneak preview. Very dry movie with very little development of any of the people in the movie. Most of the action scenes felt like I was watching someone play a video game. Story not to interesting unless you aggree with the same political view as the director. If you have no opinion or don't care about the politics of the movie it's even worse.
Old 01-31-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
The movie doesn't try to do to much, decent look from the eyes of the soldiers on the ground.

Remarkably light on political blame game, once the shooting starts it is very intense and you can feel the tension that these men are facing.

The first hour or so is kind of slow, trying to build up a little of the set up before September 11th

Micheal Bay did not ruin the movie and kept his 'bayplosions' in check
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just got back and all in all a good movie. Not great but very good and Bay kept his ego in check. Very intense action scenes. Kept the cheesy dialogue in check until the end then it got super cheesy and sappy.

I did not find it overtly political. Unless you are a believer that the attacks were a spontaneous event, then you probably will believe it is. They did address that in the movie how the news orgs in the states were calling it a demonstration and they said WTF?! They were organized and planned with RPG's and mortars.

They did spend some time on how difficult it was to get authorization and assistance once the shit hit the fan. Of course over there you can never tell a friendly from an insurgent until they start shooting at you. So they couldn't rely on local help. They kept bolting.

3.5/5
Old 02-02-16, 02:22 AM

Surprised at how much The Island or Bad Boys (the first one anyway) weren't well received by critics. Those are some fun action movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.