Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Old 05-13-24, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Old 05-13-24, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

I don't know about taking this 2.5 hour stage production and making it into two movies. Doesn't that just mean that they are packing in filler to make it longer?
Old 05-13-24, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,398 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't know about taking this 2.5 hour stage production and making it into two movies. Doesn't that just mean that they are packing in filler to make it longer?
Yes.

But the book is crazy long. So there's lots of source material to draw from.
Old 05-15-24, 10:11 AM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Long ass trailer that feels like it goes out of its way to not show it is a musical.

The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Pretty much everything in the trailer happens in Act 1 of the musical, so that's obviously how they are breaking it up. And they can easily stretch parts of it without adding a lot - things like the visuals of the train don't happen in the stage version and they can take a lot more time with things like establishing shots.

And we mustn't show it's a musical (despited being literally one of the most popular musicals of all time) because the people might get scared.
Old 05-15-24, 06:12 PM

Lots of musical trailers hide that they're a musical. This one completely hides that it's only half of a musical. That's impressive.
ntnon (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,122 Likes on 813 Posts

In all honesty, that trailer makes me more interested in seeing the movie. I'm somewhat indifferent to it being a musical. I am only familiar with the one big song.
ntnon (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 651 Likes on 480 Posts

I’m only really familiar with the existence of this play, and not the songs, but when I first heard Michelle Yeoh was in it I was hoping we’d get a trailer at some point showing different characters singing bits of their songs. The WICKED trailers seem to conspicuously avoid that, but I assume the character that Yeoh plays actually sings in the stage version? If that carries over to the film, and if she sings in the part, it would be Yeoh’s first musical performance since this one-off music video of the theme from her movie BUTTERFLY & SWORD . . . in 1993!

I’d imagine this video could gain some new traction in the wake of WICKED when interviewers inevitably ask her about any previous musical leanings (which most people aren’t aware of because her entire output is encapsulated in this single song):

(Incidentally, that’s Hong Kong star Tony Leung Ka-fai in the video. The other Tony, Tony Leung Chiu-wai, stars opposite her in the film. The video is directed by Hong Kong ‘new wave’ filmmaker Patrick Tam, whose movies have been experiencing a small renaissance in the west recently, with cinematography by Johnnie To, who directed her in HEROIC TRIO and EXECUTIONERS around this time, both now in the Criterion Collection)

Last edited by Brian T; 05-15-24 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Yet another trailer for a Broadway adaptation that purposely avoids showing anyone singing. Musicals are apparently such a turn off for general audiences that advertising execs still feels the need to trick Joe and Jane Sixpack into buying tickets. I know Wicked is one of the longest running shows in history, but a lot of random movie-goers still won't have a clue. I've seen the resulting walkouts happen at every movie musical that pulled this marketing tactic.

I had never seen the musical and only looked in to it after the Super Bowl teaser. Honestly, the story does do some reaching to try and line up with The Wizard of Oz - with some elements (like the origin of the Tin Man) completely changed. I found the whole thing a bit cringe upon listening to the cast recording, though some of the tunes are catchy in a Disney-ish way. For instance, the song The Wizard and I is a classic example of an "I Want" song, where the character spouts out their hopes and dreams - much like Go the Distance from Hercules.

Based on his movie of In the Heights, I will give Chu credit for knowing how to creatively shoot a musical number for film and make it lively and vibrant - much better than someone like Tom Hooper. But did this material warrant a two-part, four hour plus film treatment? I really doubt it... and I remain a bit dubious about his choice of leads here. Elphaba is (or should be) a very belty part for a singer. Erivo is a talented vocalist, but the samples we get in the trailer aren't delivering the power and emotion I felt when listening to Adele Dazeem (or Idina Menzel). She also looks too old to be a college student - especially on the big screen and paired with Grande, who still resembles a teen.

Not even remotely a fan of Ariana, but at least she has a strong voice that can deliver some of the opera notes Glinda sings in the opening number. However, the costumes and coloring make her look washed out and anemic. I found it a bit hokey that she's clearly doing a nasal Kristin Chenoweth impression with the spoken dialogue, though I'm sure that was an intentional homage.

Originally Posted by Brian T
I assume the character that Yeoh plays actually sings in the stage version?
Barely... and they could easily have her speak the lyrics. I read that Madame Morrible (like horrible, get it?) has been played by some non-singing character actresses throughout Wicked's various productions.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-16-24 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 10:28 PM

It looks pretty good, but my heart sank when I saw Bowen Yang come out and to his same old schtick.
bchbdaddy (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 651 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Barely... and they could easily have her speak the lyrics. I read that Madame Morrible (like horrible, get it?) has been played by some non-singing character actresses throughout Wicked's various productions.
Interesting. Seems like that music video could remain Yeoh’s only musical performance after all.

Originally Posted by joe_b
I found the whole thing a bit cringe upon listening to the cast recording, though some of the tunes are catchy in a Disney-ish way.
The look of the movie certainly reminds me a lot of that rather gaudy OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL movie Disney made a few years back.
Old 05-16-24, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Weird that no one is shown singing in a MUSICAL, but besides that I thought the trailer was still pretty good. Still not sold on Ariana Grande, but we'll see I guess.
Old 05-16-24, 11:38 AM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Really does look like that Raimi movie.

She still looks like a ninja turtle to me. And Grande sounds like she sucks down some helium before she talks.

I imagine that this is going to be the type of musical I hate, where they are screaming “singing” .

My wife was looking forward to this until Grande name was attached. Probably wait until it streams.