Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025, D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-28-07, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a big fan of musicals, and have also loved some of the ones the studios have come out with recently(Dreamgirls, Chicago). This got me thinking...."is there any chance we might see a well down movie version of the Broadway musical Wicked"? With The Wizard of Oz being such a classic film, and the musical a runaway sucesss with its wonderful take on Elphaba and Glenda, I was curious if anyone thought a studio might do this, ior every will do this? I think, if done properly could be massively huge.

What do you think? Is a Wicked movie a possibility?
Old 01-28-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is possible, but probably after its run on Broadway.
Old 01-28-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I think it is possible, but probably after its run on Broadway.

So far, I'm not aware of any discussion about a film version, but movie musicals are makng something of a comeback with the success of Dreamgirls and Chicago, and the interest in the forthcoming Tim Burton-Johnny Depp movie of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd.

It used to be a given that no film version would be released while the show was still running on Broadway, but that's no longer true: four current Broadway shows have already hit the movie screens: Chicago, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Producers and Rent.
Old 01-28-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and Hairspray is on the way, which I want to see, despite the ridiculous casting of John Travolta. Too bad they didn't go with Harvey Fierstein.

I think (and hope!) a film version of Wicked is inevitable.

Rob
Old 01-28-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if it's made, I'll bet you $20 that it'll piss upon the original production that came before it just like every other musical in the past five years (ex: Rent, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Dreamgirls, and The Producers).
Old 01-29-07, 02:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I certainly hope that WIcked gets made into a movie.

THough I do hope they stay more to the source.

I had high hopes for the Rent movie. But then the movie changed a lot about the musical by rearranging songs, deleting entire sequences.

It was nice they had time to flesh out some of the back story and provide the proper scenery.

I don't know why it was changed so radically. They had a script to work with, just need to put it on film.

The Phantom movie was pretty decent, compared to the broadway show. My issue with that movie was the voice of the Phantom. It grated on my nerves everytime he was on screen.
Old 01-29-07, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd actually prefer that they dump the music and go back to the book on this one.
Old 01-29-07, 02:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce

The Phantom movie was pretty decent, compared to the broadway show. My issue with that movie was the voice of the Phantom. It grated on my nerves everytime he was on screen.
I was really hoping that Gerald would pull it off, but as I agree, his voice was a letdown IMO.

as for Wicked - I'd be up to seeing a film version.

I'd also love to see movie versions of

- 'The Secret Garden' (Music by Lucy Simon; book & lyrics by Marsha Norman)
- a film version of Des McAnuff's theatre production of 'The Who's Tommy'
Old 01-29-07, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
...and Hairspray is on the way, which I want to see, despite the ridiculous casting of John Travolta. Too bad they didn't go with Harvey Fierstein.
the pic of John Travolta in EW though is really quite amazing, they really dolled him up. I agree Harvey should have been asked, but I think John Waters definately had some say in the casting of John, and saw something he liked... I can't wait to see this!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-07, 02:32 PM

I'd just be happy if they filmed the play and put it on dvd! The same with Hugh Jackman's broadway play. I own the dvd of Jekyll and Hyde the musical with David Hasselhoff and its pretty cool, not to mention the outstanding transfer as the musical was filmed with several hi def cameras.
Old 01-29-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am hoping that if one is made, they do what Rent did and get the principal actors from the musical to be in the movie.
Old 01-29-07, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CinemaNut
I'd just be happy if they filmed the play and put it on dvd! The same with Hugh Jackman's broadway play. I own the dvd of Jekyll and Hyde the musical with David Hasselhoff and its pretty cool, not to mention the outstanding transfer as the musical was filmed with several hi def cameras.
this version was actually transmited to select theatres that way (i.e, HiDef)
Old 01-29-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
It used to be a given that no film version would be released while the show was still running on Broadway, but that's no longer true: four current Broadway shows have already hit the movie screens: Chicago, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Producers and Rent.
Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of Wicked being a relatively new musical, while the film version of those others came about during the revivals of some older musicals. Although it would probably be about the same as the Producers now (ignoring the timing of the original film).
Old 01-30-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could've swore I read somewhere that there are definite plans to make this into a movie, of course I can't remember where I read it so it remains speculation. Great book though, a friend said the live production really differs from the book-which is understandable since they made it a musical, but I hope the movie (if & when) stays true to the book.
Old 01-08-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Wicked (2016?, D: Stephen Daldry) - musical version

Looks like this is a step closer to actually happening. We have a musical-to-movie catch-all thread, but this is probably worthy of its own thread. I'm sure the relative success of Into the Woods will help move things along.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...coming-in-2016

Producer Says the Wicked Movie Could be Coming in 2016

By Max Evry
January 8, 2015

The long yellow brick road to Broadway musical Wicked finding its way to the silver screen has just gotten one step closer as producer Marc Platt (Into the Woods) told Film Divider that the movie is eyeing a 2016 release. Academy Award-nominated director Stephen Daldry (The Hours) will direct.

The site previously-reported that Vue Cinemas’ CEO Tim Richards mentioned the film as a highlight of the 2016 release calendar, and Daldry’s name has been in the mix since 2012, but Platt responded with a resounding “yes” to the rumor, adding that, “it’s not set in stone. The process of developing that movie has begun, we’re working on it, and whether it makes 2016 or not, I’m not so sure.”

“2016 is the goal, but I don’t know whether we’ll make that goal or not,” Platt continued. “We will make the movie, but like I said, the bar is really high. We’re going to scrutinise our work on the screenplay and our prep on the movie, and when we feel like it’s ready, okay. We’re not going to shoot a release date is what I’m saying. It’s in the works, it’s not in a rush. It took 27 years to make ‘Into the Woods’ into a film from its original stage production, and 30 years with ‘Les Mis.’ Some things take time for a reason.”

Platt also confirmed that Winnie Holzman, best known for writing the book for Stephen Schwartz’s musical, is in the process of fashioning her work into a screenplay for the Wicked movie.

Prior to becoming a globally touring smash as well as one of the longest-running shows on Broadway, Platt was originally developing Gregory Maguire’s novel “Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West” for the big screen until Universal Pictures decided to take it to The Great White Way first in 2003. An alternate retelling of L. Frank Baum’s classic “The Wizard of Oz,” Wicked follows two opposing witches–Elphaba and Glinda the Good– from their first meeting in college to Elphaba’s ultimate downfall and transformation into the Wicked Witch of the West.
Old 01-08-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025) D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

WICKED is one of those rare musicals I like more for the story than for the songs. It would make for a good movie.
Old 01-08-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
re: Wicked: Part 1 & Part 2 (2024 & 2025) D: Chu) S: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande

If they didn't get Menzel and that cute blonde fidget, it'd be such a wasted opportunity.
Old 01-08-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If they didn't get Menzel and that cute blonde fidget, it'd be such a wasted opportunity.
Chenowith is 46 and Menzel is 43 now. I think the producers will want to go younger, but Menzel's post-Frozen fame should help her.
Old 01-08-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Chenowith is 46 and Menzel is 43 now.
But Adelle Dazeem is available!
Old 01-08-15, 06:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
But Adelle Dazeem is available!
I always find myself calling her that now. Damn John Travolta!
Old 01-08-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd love for Dazeem and Chenoweth to memorialize their roles, but I'm sure they'll cast younger.
Old 01-08-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lea Michele could fill in for Adele Dazeem. They look alike (Adele plays her mom on Glee) and Lea has a phenomenal singing voice.
Old 01-08-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Lea Michele could fill in for Adele Dazeem. They look alike (Adele plays her mom on Glee) and Lea has a phenomenal singing voice.
She's been among the rumors, as has Kristen Bell.
Old 01-08-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Terry Gilliam should have been the director of this one, he would have made a visual marvel.
Old 01-08-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Saw the show on Broadway on Christmas, really enjoyed it (along with a free Elphaba cocktail). Looking forward to the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.