Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Goodbye To Language 3D (2014) Directed by Jean Luc Godard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

NSFW

Spoiler:
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ibffxoK5gs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just decided to punish myself by watching this and as I was it got me thinking, if enough people banded together I wonder how hard it would be to get Godard put into a nursing home.

Last edited by dex14; 12-23-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Goodbye To Language 3D (2014) Directed by Jean Luc Godard

Might wanna tag that NSFW.
Old 12-23-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

not safe for work and not sane for watchers.
Old 12-23-14, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might as well take it down cuz when it comes to art here we can't do nudity. But bring on people getting bloodied and meeting their maker apparently.
Old 12-23-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks interesting, but I'm always game for Godard (even if he is a little batty).
Old 12-23-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I saw this film in 3-D at a theater in Paris in July and the 3-D hurt my eyes it was so bad. For every shot that successfully conveyed a sense of depth, there were five or six that looked out of sync. I asked the lady working the theater if that was intentional on Godard's part or if there was a problem with the projection and , of course, she said it was Godard's intention. But then she suggested I ask the projectionist but he was nowhere to be found. Which should tell you something. There were John Ford movies playing a couple of blocks away. If I'd had more time I could have just gone to the movies while I was there.
Old 12-23-14, 10:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yup, this movie is terrible. I don't care that it's "Godard just playing around and having fun." Fuck that. It actually kind of upsets me that critics are praising this piece of shit like it's some kind of masterpiece. I mean, yeah, people can like whatever the hell they want. I know. I don't care. It's a piece of shit movie, and I'm amazed how many peoples' heads are so far up their asses that they think this passes as anything other than something a college freshman with a micro-budget could accomplish on their first attempt at "performance art" on film.

There's a line in the film... "You people disgust me" aimed clearly at the audience watching it.

I saw this at a film festival and was completely open-minded about it going in, despite hearing some negative things from TIFF. I came away from it... not angry, but... with a massive fucking headache. Maybe that was the point. If so, well... "you people disgust me" seems just about right.

I would rather watch Four Christmases on repeat for eternity than watch GtL3D one more time.

edit: BTW, that opening music cue in the trailer... that's used incessantly throughout the film. Spoiler! Because ART!
Old 12-23-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yup, this movie is terrible. I don't care that it's "Godard just playing around and having fun." Fuck that. It actually kind of upsets me that critics are praising this piece of shit like it's some kind of masterpiece. I mean, yeah, people can like whatever the hell they want. I know. I don't care. It's a piece of shit movie, and I'm amazed how many peoples' heads are so far up their asses that they think this passes as anything other than something a college freshman with a micro-budget could accomplish on their first attempt at "performance art" on film.

There's a line in the film... "You people disgust me" aimed clearly at the audience watching it.

I saw this at a film festival and was completely open-minded about it going in, despite hearing some negative things from TIFF. I came away from it... not angry, but... with a massive fucking headache. Maybe that was the point. If so, well... "you people disgust me" seems just about right.

I would rather watch Four Christmases on repeat for eternity than watch GtL3D one more time.

edit: BTW, that opening music cue in the trailer... that's used incessantly throughout the film. Spoiler! Because ART!
Agreed. I don't understand why it's on so many ten-best-of-the-year lists.

In any event, here's a shot of the poster from the theater where I saw it:

And a few blocks away, some movies I could have seen instead: