Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Jackson, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Jackson, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.56%
8.20%
21.31%
21.31%
18.03%
18.03%
3.28%
0%
1.64%
0%
1.64%
There and Back Again...
0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Jackson, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Jackson, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Yeah, it's definitely men, elves, dwarves... in the book the others were the goblins and wargs I believe. Wasn't sure if there were any goblins in the movie, so maybe the orcs counted as two armies?
Old 12-30-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Jackson, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

It's funny, I asked the same question and my friend said it was Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, Men, and whatever the group the Eagles count as. Not sure if that's accurate.

Fuckin' Eagles.
Old 12-30-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting. Smaug has the highest rating with both audiences and RT, yet I kind of feel it gets weaker with subsequent viewings. The first actually gets better IMO. I felt they really should have ended the second one with Smaug's death, as opposed to having it open this one with no real frame of reference. I also wish they had EE spoiler
Spoiler:
mentioned that Smaug and Sauron were in league. It makes Sauron's sending an army to Erebor make more sense and builds on just how much of a presence he would have in the North. A mountain fortress with orcs and a fire-breathing dragon would be like having a Death Star.
In the books he's never in league with anyone. In the film he just mentions "that something is coming" but doesn't say he's joined forces. I'm sure Sauron would have loved to have had Smaug services but Smaug is only about Smaug. Hell, he's as bad as them Eagles in terms of apathy.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-30-14 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's funny, I asked the same question and my friend said it was Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, Men, and whatever the group the Eagles count as. Not sure if that's accurate.

Fuckin' Eagles.

Pretty much, with an assist by Beorn.
Old 12-30-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In a more detailed fashion - I really enjoyed the film. The 9 fight against Galadriel, Saruman, and Elrond was fucking badass and it was cool to Galadriel loc up on Sauron basically banishing him to the East. That's where he basically takes up residence and calls it Mordor(?) for the later LOTR films. It's much different than it was described in the appendices. In those she destroys the tower of dol guldur.

I'm sure we'll get more Beorn action in the extended cut since he was just a cameo in the film. Here's hoping the extended cut tops a hearth 4-hours just like Return of the King did.
Old 12-30-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Fuckin' Eagles.
officially I think it's Dwarves, Elves, Men, Orcs and Eagles.
Old 12-30-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In a more detailed fashion - I really enjoyed the film. The 9 fight against Galadriel, Saruman, and Elrond was fucking badass and it was cool to Galadriel loc up on Sauron basically banishing him to the East. That's where he basically takes up residence and calls it Mordor(?) for the later LOTR films. It's much different than it was described in the appendices. In those she destroys the tower of dol guldur. I'm sure we'll get more Beorn action in the extended cut since he was just a cameo in the film. Here's hoping the extended cut tops a hearth 4-hours just like Return of the King did.
I doubt even he can squeeze that much excess out of this . It'll probably be about three hours though.
Old 12-30-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They better fucking include all the ending stuff like the funeral and what not. Otherwise what the fuck, Bilbo just peaced out of there like he was ghosting at a party.
Old 12-30-14, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The funeral for that dwarf?
Old 12-30-14, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
officially I think it's Dwarves, Elves, Men, Orcs and Eagles.
Yes, I believe that's the case in the book. I wasn't sure if the Eagles were going to show up in the movie, so I thought for a while that Jackson had replaced them with Bats. But then the Eagles did show up, so that makes SIX armies! Or maybe in the Jackson version Eagles and Bats are out, and the Orcs get counted twice since they come from both North and South.
Old 12-30-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was confused about the armies bit too. Man barely had an army. They showed them w/ the elves and it was ridiculous to even include them in there... they barely registered as a mass w/ the elves.
Old 12-30-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm sure Sauron would have loved to have had Sauron's services
Old 12-30-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
For whatever reason, I found the Lord of the Rings trilogy against all odds battles more believable then the battles in the Hobbit. I just don't find realistic that the dwarves can defeat that many orcs. For example, The scene with the four dwarves go after Azog on the mountaintop is laugh out loud ridiculous. Bilbo mentions an Orc army coming and they see 100 mercenaries coming. They decide to split up and Thorin and one other dwarf proceeds to defeats 100 mercenaries off camera! What? The mercenaries must have come from the HK kungfu action movie school of fighting one at a time while the others move around in the background. 13 dwarves bust out of the mountain and they turn the tide against the Orc army. Where was the second Orc army? Barely armed humans in a strangely intact town near the mountain where people seem to known where things are located can hold off heavily armored orcs. Bilbo knocking out heavily armored orcs with rocks. Laughably bad. And Eagles again? Really had low expectations and this movie achieved that.
Um, the second orc army actually arrives towards the tail end of the Thorin vs. Azog fight. The Eagles, Beaorn, and Radagast kill the second army.

I did like that in this movie the Eagles were summoned by Radagast. Gandalf mentions Radagast and needing the aid of him and the animals. Late in the movie, Radagast arrives with the Eagles. In fact, in LOTR (the book anyway), the reason an Eagle rescued Gandalf from Orthanc is because the Eagle was actually there looking for Radagast (who Saruman had tricked into luring Gandalf to Orthanc).
Old 12-30-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnuke
Yes, I believe that's the case in the book. I wasn't sure if the Eagles were going to show up in the movie, so I thought for a while that Jackson had replaced them with Bats. But then the Eagles did show up, so that makes SIX armies! Or maybe in the Jackson version Eagles and Bats are out, and the Orcs get counted twice since they come from both North and South.
There were bats in this? I seriously missed that
Old 12-30-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
If Jackson wanted to involve Smaug in a big set piece, it should've been the attack on Laketown, rather than wasting time with the pointless forgery set piece with the dwarves sliding down chutes. It would've streamlined out a gigantic chunk of problematic narrative issues in the second film, which was going well up to that point.
I actually like the battle in the forges because in the book, despite Smaug being played up as this huge threat, all that happens is that he has a conversation with Bilbo, goes to Lake Town and gets killed by a random character named Bard (who happens to be the descendant of the lord of Dale and coincidentally learned he could talk to birds just in time for a thrush to tell him that it overheard Bilbo mention spotting a weak spot in Smaug's armor). At least in the movie we got to see the Dwarves have a confrontation and, despite their best efforts, be incapable of defeating Smaug because he was just too strong.
Old 12-30-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The funeral for that dwarf?
At least it will be a short one.
Old 12-30-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So .... I remember reading that we would see the Witch-king get his blade back. Is that EE stuff?
Old 12-30-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Fixed.
Old 12-30-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
So .... I remember reading that we would see the Witch-king get his blade back. Is that EE stuff?
Possibly. In addition to seeing Saruman actually go seek Sauron out.

In the film it was pretty much "Leave Sauron to me" and that's it. I hope there's another scene that shows Saruman at his Tower.
Old 12-30-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

So we can probably expect the theatrical version to be out on BD around March and the extended edition to come out around November.

I guess I'm a whore for these movies, but I own both the theatrical DVDs for the Lord of the Rings and recently picked up the extended editions on BD (had the extended on DVD)

and now for the Hobbit, I also picked up the theatrical and now extended edition BDs.
Old 12-30-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

In the books he's never in league with anyone. In the film he just mentions "that something is coming" but doesn't say he's joined forces. I'm sure Sauron would have loved to have had Smaug services but Smaug is only about Smaug. Hell, he's as bad as them Eagles in terms of apathy.
In the EE it is stated outright by Thrain that Smaug and Sauron were in league with one another. The first Hobbit movie and Tolkien's Unfinished Tales have the bit of Gandalf stating that one of the reasons he wanted Smaug out of the picture was so he and Sauron couldn't form a stronghold. I think that by the time Bilbo and co. reached the mountain (at least in the movies) Smaug knew about what was going to happen and would have been happy to let Sauron use the mountain as a fortress provided they didn't try to take the gold.
In the book, everyone, the orcs included, want the wealth left behind at the mountain. In the movies they are moving towards the mountain before Smaug is dead, and it is stated the interest in the mountain was not wealth, but establishing a presence in the north. This was when Sauron had yet to regain strength in Mordor, so it makes sense.
Old 12-30-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
In the EE it is stated outright by Thrain that Smaug and Sauron were in league with one another. The first Hobbit movie and Tolkien's Unfinished Tales have the bit of Gandalf stating that one of the reasons he wanted Smaug out of the picture was so he and Sauron couldn't form a stronghold. I think that by the time Bilbo and co. reached the mountain (at least in the movies) Smaug knew about what was going to happen and would have been happy to let Sauron use the mountain as a fortress provided they didn't try to take the gold.
In the book, everyone, the orcs included, want the wealth left behind at the mountain. In the movies they are moving towards the mountain before Smaug is dead, and it is stated the interest in the mountain was not wealth, but establishing a presence in the north. This was when Sauron had yet to regain strength in Mordor, so it makes sense.
I'll have to check that out again, because I don't remember that alliance. I remember the potential for an alliance but not the actual one.
Old 12-30-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
So we can probably expect the theatrical version to be out on BD around March and the extended edition to come out around November.

I guess I'm a whore for these movies, but I own both the theatrical DVDs for the Lord of the Rings and recently picked up the extended editions on BD (had the extended on DVD)

and now for the Hobbit, I also picked up the theatrical and now extended edition BDs.
I'll pass on the theatrical cut in terms of buying it in BD like i did with Smaug and Unexpected Journey and just wait for the EE. I don't double dip with this franchise. Here's hoping in 2016 Jackson and Co realize one massive set with even more footage restored to all 6-films. Legitness beyond all measure that set would be.
Old 12-30-14, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I think it is a safe bet that Smaug would have allied himself with Sauron during the War of the Ring. That's one motherfucker you wouldn't want at Helm's Deep or Gondor.

Provided Sauron could separate him from his gold...
Old 12-30-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Possibly. In addition to seeing Saruman actually go seek Sauron out.

In the film it was pretty much "Leave Sauron to me" and that's it. I hope there's another scene that shows Saruman at his Tower.
I'm okay with how the TC of TBotFA left it because, should you choose to watch these movies in chronological order, it retains the surprise of Saruman being in league with Sauron (the potential for which is setup nicely by his freakout during the Galadriel-Sauron fight).

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-30-14 at 08:26 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.