DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies you regret not seeing in theaters? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623987-movies-you-regret-not-seeing-theaters.html)

OldBoy 12-07-14 04:16 PM

Movies you regret not seeing in theaters?

or better would have loved to see in theaters because of how much you enjoyed it at home or something...

Shaun of the Dead
Love Actually
The Usual Suspects
Batman Begins
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

taffer 12-07-14 04:21 PM

Re: Movies you regret not seeing in theaters?

None. Theaters suck, and I will never go to one no matter how much I want to see a movie. I will always wait for the home video release.

hanshotfirst1138 12-07-14 04:32 PM

I certainly don't think so, it just depends on the cinema. If it's a good print or an excellent encode and the audience isn't composed of idiots, there's a special mystique to seeing things at the cinema. Though lately, between DCPs and idiots, I do mostly stay home.

Solid Snake 12-07-14 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 12326812)
None. Theaters suck, and I will never go to one no matter how much I want to see a movie. I will always wait for the home video release.

Maybe you suck?

Unless you've literally got shit theaters and people for them around, I highly doubt that theaters as a generality suck.

In my case, my cinemark is pretty cool. Everybody is pretty chill. Rarely a dumb fuck to put in his/her place.

Yeti4623 12-07-14 04:44 PM

Terminator 2
Titanic

Solid Snake 12-07-14 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti4623 (Post 12326835)
Terminator 2
Titanic

I saw both of these as a kid in theaters. I didn't care for Titanic. Just wasn't my thing at that age.

T2 on the other hand was fucking awesome.

OldBoy 12-07-14 04:49 PM

T2 was a rare movie that i actually saw twice in theaters...

My Other Self 12-07-14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 12326812)

I'm sure this has more to do with your perception of how you're seen in public more than anything else. I don't care much for traditional theaters either, but the good ones are the definitive way to see a film.

taffer 12-07-14 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12326844)
I'm sure this has more to do with your perception of how you're seen in public more than anything else. I don't care much for traditional theaters either, but the good ones are the definitive way to see a film.

My social anxiety is only a small part of why I don't like theaters. Jerks who talk and/or play on their phones bothers me as well.

The biggest reason I don't like theaters though is that they are simply overpriced in my opinion.

Paying $10 for a ticket is completely absurd to me. I can buy the DVD/BD for not much more than the price of a ticket, and with the DVD/BD I can rewatch it over and over at no additional cost. Want to rewatch the movie in the theater? That's another $10 ticket. Screw that.

Theater food is overpriced as well. Plus, I don't really like popcorn or any of that kind of food anyway. I'm a meat and taters kind of guy, not a salty popcorn kind of guy. I like to eat my actual dinner while I watch a movie. I can't do that a theater.

All of that together is just not worth the price of admission to me personally.

Solid Snake 12-07-14 05:06 PM

Yeah. Sounds like you're the issue there. Aside from the jerks, which you could go to them and tell them to stop.

Alan Smithee 12-07-14 05:14 PM

Why do so many people think you HAVE to buy the overpriced food if you go to a theater?

I regret not seeing "Hostel" at a theater just because it seems impossible to find the theatrical version of that on any video format.

Would've liked to have seen Jackass 3D as well, which doesn't look like it will ever get a 3D blu-ray release.

TomOpus 12-07-14 05:19 PM

Why pay $10? I go to a matiner and pay either $4.25 or $5.00 depending on chain.

My local AMC has pizza on the menu. Also chicken tenders and curley fries. They cook 'em to order so you have to waut but it's not bad. I also have an Alamo Drafthouse that has a full menu that includes burgers, salads and all kinds of adult beverages.

Mondo Kane 12-07-14 05:19 PM

Fight For Your Life
The 42nd Street-reaction reports on this film are legendary.

Jon2 12-07-14 05:36 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Despite my spouse, son, numerous friends and acquaintances all raving about it, I never managed to see it until after it came out on DVD and someone brought it to a party we had.

Although I'm an otherwise all-things-Disney fan, PotC had two strikes against it. 1) I thought a movie based on a theme park ride was just a dumb idea and would flop. 2) I didn't care much for Depp.

Boy, was I wrong.

Why So Blu? 12-07-14 05:46 PM

It's the experience for me. I'm spoiled here in L.A. and can get premium grub and drink along with a nice reserved seat for a bit of a premium. These kind of theaters also keep the riff raff out, too. That's worth it to me. When the Blu-ray comes out for a film I like I'll get that too. It's like you're having your cake and eating it too, like fat fucks.

/mysig

taffer 12-07-14 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12326865)
Yeah. Sounds like you're the issue there. Aside from the jerks, which you could go to them and tell them to stop.

I know I'm the issue. I even said as much. For me personally theaters suck. Sure, many people love them, but I hate them.

Also, if a jerk is rude enough to talk or play on his phone in the theater, then he isn't going to stop just because you ask him to do so. Plus, in this day, I would be worried I would get shot confronting a jerk like that.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 12326876)
Why do so many people think you HAVE to buy the overpriced food if you go to a theater?

I never said you have to buy the food. I just said I don't like the food, and I can't bring my own because the kind of food I eat isn't really very portable. I like to have an actual dinner while I watch a movie. I don't like eating foods like popcorn and candy and concession type food.

Solid Snake 12-07-14 06:31 PM

Yes. That is why I put the yeah in there. How many people get shot in theaters? Probably less than getting in a car. Worth the risk. For me... I've only had a few issues where somebody is an idiot and will keep pulling out there phone during the film. At that point I just confront them. That don't work, get the manager. End of story.

In this day...ok. it's actually a lot safer than when it wasn't this day. Unless he's some hulking son of a bitch or some cocky piece of shit who is offended and ain't taking your shit, you're fine.

fumanstan 12-07-14 07:01 PM

I think most of those hangups are pretty silly and way over blown, and for me the theater experience can't be beat unless you're rich or well off enough to build a theater at home. To each their own, but being worried about getting shot? Yeah, ok :lol:

As for me, I was born in 82 so I would have loved to see a lot of classic 80's movies on their first run. Things like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Terminator. There really isn't anything modern; if I really want to see a movie, 95% of the time i'll find time to go.

van der graaf 12-07-14 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12326829)
Maybe you suck?

Unless you've literally got shit theaters and people for them around, I highly doubt that theaters as a generality suck.

In my case, my cinemark is pretty cool. Everybody is pretty chill. Rarely a dumb fuck to put in his/her place.

Not in SoCal. Not rare at all. And the mere act of having to put some dumbfuck in their place ruins the movie-going experience for me. So, I'm with the other dude, fuck theaters, not because theaters, but the inconsiderate, myopic assholes that exist all around.

Why So Blu? 12-07-14 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12327048)
Not in SoCal. Not rare at all. And the mere act of having to put some dumbfuck in their place ruins the movie-going experience for me. So, I'm with the other dude, fuck theaters, not because theaters, but the inconsiderate, myopic assholes that exist all around.

In the high end theaters it is. In the regular AMC or mass produced theaters then no.

fumanstan 12-07-14 07:52 PM

I'm in SoCal, and don't have many issues in regular Regal theaters or nice ones. Hooray for Orange County? I figured there would be lots of spoiled rich kids, but I can't think of the last time where i've had a really bad experience. :shrug:

Ash Ketchum 12-07-14 08:03 PM

Roger Corman's THE RAVEN (1962), starring Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre. It was playing at one theater in my neighborhood (on a triple bill with two other movies, I forget what they were) and I even went to the theater with the intention of seeing it, but instead I turned around and went to another theater a few blocks away that was playing SAMSON AND THE SEVEN MIRACLES OF THE WORLD, starring Gordon Scott and Yoko Tani, and WARRIORS FIVE, a black-and-white Italian war movie starring Jack Palance. I liked both movies at the time (I was nine), but in retrospective, it would have been awesome to see one of Corman's Poe movies on the big screen when it first came out.

Here's the poster that was advertising THE RAVEN at the theater:
http://tikiloungetalk.com/wp-content...raven-1963.jpg

And here's what I went to see:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gZEKCBxNWl...+the+World.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/...69dcfba947.jpg

TheAllPurposeNothing 12-07-14 10:25 PM

Wish I had seen Cannery Row on the big screen. The set design and cinematography on that film are absolutely beautiful.

davidlynchfan 12-07-14 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12327017)
To each their own, but being worried about getting shot? Yeah, ok :lol:

James Holmes, rival gang fights. It's happened quite a few tmes before.

DJariya 12-07-14 11:29 PM

http://images.moviepostershop.com/de...1020209733.jpg

I was in 6th grade when this came out in theaters back in 1986. I wish I would have seen it, but obviously would have been restricted because of the R rating. I ended up seeing this on VHS roughly 6 months later.

Hearing Alan Silvestri's score in a huge theater would have been so kickass.