Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

While We're Young (2014, Baumbach) S: Stiller, Watts, Seyfried, Driver, Grodin

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-02-10, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHILE WE'RE YOUNG (2011?) (dir. Noah Baumbach) (starring James Franco, Ben Stiller)

Originally Posted by slashfilm.com
Fresh off the welcome Spirit Award nominations for his latest film, Greenberg, writer/director Noah Baumbach will once again team with Ben Stiller, along with Oscar host James Franco, for a film called While We’re Young. It’s about how a hip, young, Brooklyn couple inspires an uptight documentary filmmaker and his wife to loosen up. Franco would be the young man with Stiller playing the filmmaker and offers are apparently out to Greenberg co-star Greta Gerwig and Cate Blanchet for the female leads, though neither has officially signed. Read more after the break.

Over the past few months, Baumbach has been attached to a whole bunch of projects. He’s supposed to be co-producing Peter Bogdanovich’s Squirrel to the Nuts with Wes Anderson and he was rumored to be working on Mr. Popper’s Penguins with Ben Stiller. Not to mention he was attached to direct The Emperor’s Children for Brian Grazer and did some writing on Madagascar 3 (another Stiller project) as well as Brett Ratner’s currently shooting Tower Heist.

But, according to Vulture who broke the story, While We’re Young would most likely be next. Scott Rudin will produce.
Old 12-04-14, 12:17 PM

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,065 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NRUcm9Qw9io" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A middle-aged couple's career and marriage are overturned when a disarming young couple enters their lives.
I thought there was a thread for this, but can't find...
Old 12-05-14, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: While We're Young (2014, Baumbach) S: Stiller, Watts, Seyfried, Driver, Grodin

Old 12-06-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: While We're Young (2014, Baumbach) S: Stiller, Watts, Seyfried, Driver, Grodin

Awful.

How many of these movies do we need? And why is Ad Rock lowering himself to this level?
Old 12-07-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ad Rock is awesome in the movie - the movie itself is enjoyable, goes off the rails in the third act though. It has some funny and smart moments but I'd definitely place it in the lower part of Baumbach's filmography.
Old 04-21-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Ben Stiller works really well with Noah Baumbach. I thought the kid from Girls who's in Episode VII was really good too. The film isn't as good as Frances Ha (which I think is Baumbach's best film), but its still really good.
Old 04-21-15, 12:31 PM

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,065 Posts

I saw this over the weekend as well. It was enjoyable. It went in a direction that I wasn't really aware it was going to go in. But the overall themes I liked a lot.
Old 04-21-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm a big fan of Baumbach. This looks good and can't wait to see it.
Old 06-26-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The movie starts out way too extreme on the In Praise of Hipsters side of things, and Adam Driver was kind of annoying, but I'm actually kind of fond of some of its themes. It was also a lot more enjoyable than I expected.
Old 06-27-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I really didn't like this movie. None of the characters grabbed me. I felt like I was watching his 6.5 hour documentary.
Old 07-04-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I really didn't like this movie. None of the characters grabbed me. I felt like I was watching his 6.5 hour documentary.
Agreed. I really like most of Baumbach's stuff, but this one was just kind of....there. I didn't really care about any of the characters either.
Old 02-12-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I watched this tonight and I liked it. I liked it better than Greenberg, but not as much as I liked Mistress America. I would give this 3.25/5. I haven't seen The Squid and the Whale or Frances Ha yet, but I'm going to try to watch them soon.

I was shocked to see how old Charles Grodin looks now. I remember him most from watching the Beethoven movies when I was growing up. It's hard to believe that he's 81 now.