Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What old horror films still do scare people today?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What old horror films still do scare people today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What old horror films still do scare people today?

It's been brought up but Freaks is a fucked up movie. That one bothers me just cuz of what it is. I do wish we got the original ending though.
Old 11-25-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

Not just Cat People, but a number of other Val Lewton productions from that era: Isle of the Dead, I Walked With a Zombie, Leopard Man, and Seventh Victim being my favorites. And despite Lewton's reputation for subtlety, Cat People is one of the earliest examples of a "jump scare" that I remember.
In his book, B Movies, Don Miller provides a firsthand account of the audience reaction to the "bus scene" in CAT PEOPLE at a Times Square theater on its opening night in 1942--and this was a hardened "horror" audience:

“...it was with a sense of elation that one sat in the back row of the Rialto and watched the sequence of Jane Randolph walking through Central Park at night...something...behind...her...and the concerted scream of the packed house when a bus pulls alongside the girl with a hiss of airbrakes. An optical illusion perhaps, but it seemed that the entire theater audience rose and fell in one rippling wave of fear, startled by Lewton’s use of sudden sound after silence. These were not impressionable patrons either, but hardened horror addicts who were more likely to show scorn and disdain than register any other reaction.”
Old 11-25-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Yes, the stalking/bus scene in Cat People is a phenomenally directed, hair-raising scene. One of the best sequences in the horror canon, though I find the rest of the movie rather mundane. Val Lewton produced that film. Mark Robson, a Lewton protégé, later crafted a very similar scene for the overlooked 1969 suspenser Daddy's Gone a-Hunting.
Old 11-25-14, 06:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i wouldn't say i was exactly scared, but JAWS is still pretty scary.
Old 11-25-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Maximum Overdrive used to scared the hell out of me as a youngster. Your basic everyday machinery and appliances turning against you.