Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie ratings/score timeline?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 04:16 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Is there anywhere that shows a timeline of a movie's ratings or score from sites like rottentomatoes or metacritic as it was being rated?

Like, seeing how first round of reviews were all positive then starts to ebb and surge again as more reviews comes out? I'm surprised those sites don't have that already (or i can't find it).
Old 11-21-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Movie ratings/score timeline?

HN, companies pay firms like relishmix or mixpanel for a solution to acquire that type of granular data, so I doubt you will find this info on a fan site like dvdtalk. I know that business are not always keen on revealing email open/click through rates, but they pay firms like marketo good money to know if their email marketing campaigns are a hit or a swing and a miss.

I noticed that deadline does not turn to google/YouTube for some data on their articles regarding the Internet audiences interest in a film based on the latest trailer, etc., rather they quote data pulled for them by relishmix, who does the heavy lifting of sifting through big data type info for relevant bits and pieces for their articles.

You could acquire this info on your own...hit up RT, and click on each review to check the date/time it went up to see exactly when it effected the overall score of a film, however, that would be quite an arduous process, so you can see why most people do not care to do this. If a studio is interested in knowing the exact time when the majority of opinions on a movie turned positive/negative, they have marketing guys that are most likely turning to firms like relishmix to gather this data...they (studios) are juggling so many things in the air that it would be a major time suck to gather this info on their own.

I guess the above is a long way of saying you either have to do it yourself, or pay to get it done.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-21-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 09:18 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Movie ratings/score timeline?

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

You could acquire this info on your own...hit up RT, and click on each review to check the date/time it went up to see exactly when it effected the overall score of a film, however, that would be quite an arduous process, so you can see why most people do not care to do this.
That right there. I'm surprised no one's automated that and compiled the info. Like, how sites track pricing trends of products sold on Amazon.

It'd be interesting to see how when a sequel comes out, how it's reviews do initially compared to its predecessor throughout its run