DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Night of the Comet--30 Years Later (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623572-night-comet-30-years-later.html)

PatD 11-17-14 01:00 AM

Night of the Comet--30 Years Later

Today, November 16th marks the 30th anniversary of the beloved cult movie, Night of the Comet. So, calling all you teenage comet zombies out there, chime in if this is one of your favorites (or at least a guilty pleasure). Because after all, the burden of civilization falls upon us (which means we do not CROSS against the light!)

This is one of my favorites, and I remember renting it at least 15 years ago, if for no other reason than the original cover artwork. It was so enigmatic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ometPoster.jpg

And it was such a fun, frothy little film that I never forgot it.

islandclaws 11-17-14 01:17 AM

Re: Night of the Comet--30 Years Later

Huge fan.

Fun story: I was watching a bootleg DVD I had of the film years ago and when it ended, there was a short video of Kelly Maroney working out topless. I've been told it's some sleazy production helmed by Jim Wynorski. Either way, it sure made watching a great film even better.

joe_b 11-17-14 06:24 AM

I'd read about the movie for years on various horror message boards, but wasn't able to see it until MGM finally released the DVD a few years ago. It quickly became one of my favorites.

Coincidentally, I just saw that a local comic convention booked Catherine Mary Stewart as a guest this spring. Was planning on going anyway, so meeting her will be a nice bonus.

Troy Stiffler 11-17-14 10:10 AM

Only watched it once.

Awesome movie.

Why So Blu? 11-17-14 10:25 AM

I hope you guys own the BD from Scream Factory or Arrow. They're both excellent releases.

Cusm 11-17-14 10:51 AM

One of my favorites from my youth and this probably started my love affair for zombie/eotwawki fiction.

Hokeyboy 11-17-14 11:25 AM

Saw it in theatres 30 years ago. YIKES. I loved it then, saw it a few times on cable in the years that followed, and probably haven't seen it again in 25 years or so.

But I remember having a mad crush on both of the two female leads.

The Valeyard 11-17-14 12:23 PM

This movie is great. Rented it on VHS in the 80s and picked up the DVD as soon as MGM brought it out years later. One of my favorites.

Fuck! 30 years!

story 11-17-14 12:47 PM

Vague memories of seeing this as a kid when I was too young for that to be appropriate. Am I thinking o the right movie? When the comet passes by, people inside are safe, people halfway inside and outside turn into mutnats, and people outside turn to piles of red dust left in their sneakers. Man, that creeped my little kid self out!

GoldenJCJ 11-17-14 12:55 PM

I've never seen this but flipped by it multiple times while trying to find something to watch on Netflix. Looks like I'm going to have to check it out sometime real soon.

wishbone 11-17-14 01:17 PM

The dream within a dream sequence, with Sam in her underwear, was a nice touch.

I believe, "Daddy would've gotten us Uzis," was an adlib when the MAC-10 jammed. Fun movie from the '80s.

riley_dude 11-17-14 01:24 PM

This is still one of my favorites.

Mondo Kane 11-17-14 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12304984)
Saw it in theatres 30 years ago. YIKES.

Same here. But I've actually never seen it since then.

From the TV spots I remember, it seemed like this was mostly advertised as a "Valley Girl"-type movie. So you can imagine all the screams from the chicks in the theater when that first zombie appeared.

PhantomStranger 11-17-14 02:07 PM

It's a pretty decent movie. A local television channel repeatedly broadcast it, largely uncut. Which made it one of the few genre movies I had seen multiple times during that time.

The Arrow Video and Scream discs are largely identical, except Arrow's BD has much better compression.

http://www.doblu.com/2014/10/20/nigh...lu-ray-review/

MScottM 11-17-14 02:48 PM

Great movie, have owned it for years. Try to watch it every year or two.

VHS? 11-17-14 03:02 PM

One of my favorites and watch from time to time. Had HDTVrip for a while until DVD release and was ecstatic when Shout! released BD
Love the soundtrack as well. Fact, some new songs were just released hat weren't previously released.
Best fan site is http://www.nightofthecomet.info/

SuckaMC 11-17-14 06:09 PM

Love this movie. Even went so far as to track down the bunch-of-nobodies soundtrack online. Glorious 80s cheesiness.

Having watched this recently after many years, the think tank bad guys seemed to heavily influence the Dharma Initiative in Lost. Could be a coincidence.

Great movie.

Mr. Salty 11-17-14 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12304656)
Fun story: I was watching a bootleg DVD I had of the film years ago and when it ended, there was a short video of Kelly Maroney working out topless.

That video is easily found online, BTW.

SterlingBen 11-18-14 12:15 AM

Huge fan.

Fun story: I was watching a bootleg DVD I had of the film years ago and when it ended, there was a short video of Kelly Maroney working out topless. I've been told it's some sleazy production helmed by Jim Wynorski. Either way, it sure made watching a great film even better.

It is from the iconic Scream Queen Hot Tub Party

joe_b 03-15-15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12304728)
Coincidentally, I just saw that a local comic convention booked Catherine Mary Stewart as a guest this spring. Was planning on going anyway, so meeting her will be a nice bonus.

Met her this weekend. One of my favorite actresses from the '80s, so I probably unleashed the full fury of my fanboy awkwardness on her. My brother was there and said he got douche chills watching me drone on like an "ass-kissing phony" and that even the assistant collecting her money was cringing. And here I was thinking it was just a nice little chat. No wonder I'm self-conscious. :lol:

She's still beautiful and was very patient in responding to all the topics I threw at her. We did talk a little about Night of the Comet and I learned that she and Kelli Maroney recorded their audio commentary for the blu-ray from different locations over Skype.

Abob Teff 03-15-15 08:30 PM

Damn - I was hoping the bump was to announce a remake.

Haven't seen this in decades, but it was a guilty pre-teen pleasure!

joe_b 03-15-15 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12423783)
Damn - I was hoping the bump was to announce a remake

When that day does come, let's pray Michael Bay will be on board to produce. -pray-

LiquidSky 03-16-15 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12304984)
Saw it in theatres 30 years ago. YIKES.

Me too! I'm a huge Mary Woronov fan.

balls314 03-16-15 05:54 AM

Can't say I've ever seen it, would you recommend me seeing it?

Solid Snake 03-16-15 07:01 AM

Huge fan.

Never seen the film. Is it streaming anywhere?

also I checked out that working out video. I guess she was working out her pecs in there. heh.