DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Visit (2015, M. Night Shyamalan) S: Kathryn Hahn (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623530-visit-2015-m-night-shyamalan-s-kathryn-hahn.html)

dex14 03-24-14 03:20 PM

The Visit (2015, M. Night Shyamalan) S: Kathryn Hahn

M. Night Shyamalan's new movie “Sundowning” stars Kathryn Hahn and rising child actor Ed Oxenbould, TheWrap has learned.

Hahn plays a single mother whose two young children visit their grandparents… and things go very wrong. Oxenbould plays her son, who is protective of his sister.

No other plot details were immediately available, as Shyamalan prefers to surprise his audience. However, “sundowning” is described as a psychological phenomenon associated with increased confusion and restlessness in patients with some form of dementia. Symptoms also include agitation and mood swings.

Shyamalan is producing with Marc Bienstock and Ashwin Rajan, while Steven Schneider of Room 101 is executive producing. Production has nearly wrapped in Shyamalan's home base of Pennsylvania.

“Sundowning” is a low-budget movie that marks Shyamalan's return to the creepy genre fare that earned him legions of fans following big-budget detours “After Earth” and “The Last Airbender.”

Hahn, who currently stars opposite Jason Bateman in “Bad Words,” recently earned rave reviews for her performance in the indie movie “Afternoon Delight.” Her recent credits include “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and the box office hit “We're the Millers.” The actress, who will soon be seen in Brad Bird's “Tomorrowland” and Shawn Levy's “This Is Where I Leave You,” is repped by the Gersh Agency, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and attorney James S. Adams.

Oxenbould plays the title character in Disney's adaptation of the beloved children's book “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,” which co-stars Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner. He's repped by ICM Partners, Coast to Coast Talent Group and Industry Entertainment.

Groucho 03-24-14 03:25 PM

Re: Sundowning (2014, M. Night Shyamalan) S: Kathryn Hahn

Sounds like he's toning it down a bit. Imagine if this got good reviews?

inri222 11-14-14 11:45 AM

Universal Slots ‘The Visit’, M. Night Shyamalan’s Secret Thriller

http://deadline.com/2014/11/m-night-...al-1201282508/

Universal Slots ‘The Visit’, M. Night Shyamalan’s Secret Thriller

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has acquired worldwide distribution rights to The Visit, a low-budget film that M. Night Shyamalan wrote and directed in covert fashion, in partnership with Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum. The studio has set the film for release September 11, 2015. I’d heard rumors here and there that Shyamalan might have a project he was shooting underground, one that was closer to the spirit of his first few films than the big studio efforts that followed. This is that film. He wanted to get back to his roots and make a film outside the studio system, and he self-financed and shot this in and around his home in Pennsylvania. He then partnered with Blumhouse, which has a first-look deal at Universal and specializes in low-budget genre fare like Ouija, its latest effort that topped the weekend box office two straight weeks.

The Visit focuses on a brother and sister who are sent to their grandparents’ remote Pennsylvania farm for a weeklong trip. Once the children discover that the elderly couple is involved in something deeply disturbing, they see their chances of getting back home are growing smaller every day. Shyamalan produced alongside Blumhouse’s Blum and Marc Bienstock. Steven Schneider & Ashwin Rajan are the exec producers. WME reps Shyamalan, who most recently worked with Universal when he produced 2010′s Devil. He last directed After Earth and The Last Airbender. Shyamalan exec produces and directed the pilot for Wayward Pines, the Twin Peaks-esque Fox series for 2015 that stars Matt Dillon, Carla Gugino, Terrence Howard and Toby Jones.

The Valeyard 11-14-14 11:58 AM

Re: Universal Slots ‘The Visit’, M. Night Shyamalan’s Secret Thriller

Just keep his name off of it and I'm sure it'll do fine.

Groucho 11-14-14 12:09 PM

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/8491/OkJuUc.gif

Timber 11-14-14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12302043)

What are the odds?

TomOpus 11-15-14 01:01 PM

Re: The Visit (2015, M. Night Shyamalan) S: Kathryn Hahn

This thread is almost 8 months old and this is post #7

Never saw THAT coming -eek-

GoldenJCJ 11-15-14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12302962)
This thread is almost 8 months old and this is post #7

Never saw THAT coming -eek-

The surprising thing is that we're 7 posts in and no one has called him Shyamalong-a-ding-dong yet!

I guess before people start getting excited for his new movie he's got some making up to do after his last few directorial efforts. The Last Airbender was horrible and even though he was a director for hire for After Earth it was even worse than The Last Airbender!

My Other Self 11-15-14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12303079)
The surprising thing is that we're 7 posts in and no one has called him Shyamalong-a-ding-dong yet!

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :lol:

dex14 04-21-15 01:47 PM

Trailer on Thursday. THE VISIT will hit theaters on September 11, 2015.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/the...ster-small.jpg

HN 04-21-15 01:58 PM

"Grandma's Rules" -- that should be your movie title

Mabuse 04-21-15 02:57 PM

Release date is September 11th. That's a good omen.

Coral 04-21-15 03:32 PM

I see they're still going with "From the director of The Sixth Sense and Signs". I guess everyone has to forget he made 5 horrendously bad movies after Signs.

Dr. DVD 04-21-15 07:38 PM

My guess: the house is made of ginger bread and Grandma is the witch. What a twist!

Matthew Chmiel 04-21-15 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12458875)
Release date is September 11th. That's a good omen.

It looks like we'll be celebrating two tragedies on that date.

Coral 04-21-15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12459176)
My guess: the house is made of ginger bread and Grandma is the witch. What a twist!

What if the twist is that the movie is actually good? No one would've seen that coming.

JoeySeven 04-21-15 10:54 PM

http://i40.tinypic.com/1553mz9.jpg

GoldenJCJ 04-22-15 10:08 AM

Signs is much better than a "C" movie.

Noonan 04-22-15 10:20 AM

Hell, Lady in the Water is much better than a F. I feel like people didn't like it because it didn't have a classic MNS twist at the end.

RichC2 04-22-15 10:30 AM

Signs and Unbreakable were more enjoyable than The Sixth Sense.

The Village is when he became a spoof of himself.

Matthew Chmiel 04-22-15 01:19 PM

Unbreakable (and to an extent, Devil) are the only films of his I actually enjoyed.

RocShemp 04-22-15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 12458925)
I see they're still going with "From the director of The Sixth Sense and Signs". I guess everyone has to forget he made 5 horrendously bad movies after Signs.

To be fair, Signs was also a monumental piece of shit (although I did like the cornfield scene).

VHS? 04-22-15 01:59 PM

After Earth is an ok movie if you remove dialog and just go with the movie score.

inri222 04-22-15 02:03 PM

I agree with the report card. The film with the most potential that could have been great was The Village. This is about the time when he started to get too full of himself with his writing.
What a waste of a good cast : Joaquin Phoenix, Bryce Dallas Howard, Adrien Brody, Sigourney Weaver, William Hurt, Brendan Gleeson & Jesse Eisenberg.

RichC2 04-22-15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12459893)
To be fair, Signs was also a monumental piece of shit (although I did like the cornfield scene).

I felt like the movie was made of great scenes, it was just dumb overall. But leading up to that revelation, it's very involving.