DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   David Fincher vs. Christopher Nolan Poll - Which Director Do You Like More? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623424-david-fincher-vs-christopher-nolan-poll-director-do-you-like-more.html)

dhmac 11-09-14 10:44 AM

David Fincher vs. Christopher Nolan Poll - Which Director Do You Like More?

David Fincher vs. Christopher Nolan. A poll to see which director you like more than the other.

NOTE: There was an older previous poll from 2010 ( LINK ) but I think a new poll is justified with new films from both directors now coming out in 2014.

David Fincher filmography:

Alien 3 (1992)
Se7en (1995)
The Game (1997)
Fight Club (1999)
Panic Room (2002)
Zodiac (2007)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
The Social Network (2010)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Gone Girl (2014)

TV or online series work:
House of Cards (2013) - directed 2 episodes

Christopher Nolan filmography:

Following (1998)
Memento (2000)
Insomnia (2002)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Prestige (2006)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Inception (2010)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Interstellar (2014)

(Nolan has done no TV or online series work)

Why So Blu? 11-09-14 10:49 AM

Re: David Fincher vs. Christopher Nolan Poll - Which Director Do You Like More?

Both.

Solid Snake 11-09-14 10:50 AM

Fincher is better. Dunno which I like more though.

RichC2 11-09-14 10:54 AM

Fincher is a better director, and it isn't close. I like both of their movies a lot.

I can watch a Fincher movie, and I can rarely pick out anything obviously wrong with the directing, but his content has been kind of hit or miss this last decade.

I can watch a Nolan flick, and I can pick it apart scene by scene with whats wrong with the directing, but his content is always fun and interesting.

Also, this thread is a repeat: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...r-nolan-8.html

Guru Askew 11-09-14 10:59 AM

Fincher is the real deal. The comparisons to legends like Kubrick and Scott are deserved.

Nolan is really good at fooling people into making those comparisons but he's all hype.

RichC2 11-09-14 11:01 AM

I really don't see people comparing Nolan to the great directors very often, he's just one of the few well known directors because he chooses interesting material. His directing actually seems to be heavily criticized quite often, I remember when Inception was released there were numerous articles dissecting what he did wrong on a scene by scene basis. :shrug:

To note, Interstellar came in #2 this weekend, #3 is Gone Girl, so nice timing.

Hokeyboy 11-09-14 11:03 AM

Love them both. Nolan's never made a movie as awful as Benjamin Button, that's for sure.

Guru Askew 11-09-14 11:06 AM

I'd say Following is worse than anything Fincher has done.

And yes I'm aware that Fincher directed a Rick Springfield concert film.

dan30oly 11-09-14 11:12 AM

voted Fincher as Nolan is a hack.

stvn1974 11-09-14 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12295998)
Nolan's never made a movie as good as Benjamin Button, that's for sure.

Is this what you really meant to post?

Why So Blu? 11-09-14 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 12296005)
voted Fincher as Nolan is a hack.

I voted for Michael Bay, because you're a hack.

OldBoy 11-09-14 11:30 AM

Fincher's movies stay with me longer. so Fincher. Nolan is more of an entertaining director whereas Fincher is more dark and grim, but in a way that makes you think and leaves a feeling within you that this movie is indeed special and worthy of multiple viewings.

stvn1974 11-09-14 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12296018)
I voted for Michael Bay, because you're a hack.

The Transformers movies make more sense than anything in the Dark Knight trilogy.

Guru Askew 11-09-14 11:36 AM

I don't think Nolan even tries to entertain his audiences. It seems like he feels that he's above it. Even the setpieces in the Batman movies seem forced in and arbitrary.

I don't feel that way about Fincher. He's comfortable entertaining audiences. He has several effective thrillers under his belt that are still technically superior to Nolan's best film, and they're all probably considered lesser Fincher films.

Why So Blu? 11-09-14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12296026)
The Transformers movies make more sense than anything in the Dark Knight trilogy.

Now you're just trolling, bro.

RichC2 11-09-14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12296031)
Now you're just trolling, bro.

Now?

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 12296028)
I don't think Nolan even tries to entertain his audiences. It seems like he feels that he's above it. Even the setpieces in the Batman movies seem forced in and arbitrary.

I don't feel that way about Fincher. He's comfortable entertaining audiences. He has several effective thrillers under his belt that are still technically superior to Nolan's best film, and they're all probably considered lesser Fincher films.

I guess it depends on what people find entertaining. I don't like most big budget movies these days because they focus on action sequences which are, frankly, pretty boring. Nolan movies I find entertaining because enough things are going on to keep my attention -- plus the less action the better with him, since he's frankly pretty terrible at it. It always confuses me when people go crazy about stuff like The Raid 1/2, Dredd, a large chunk of the comic movies, etc; because there really is nothing going on with those below some visceral thrills that are largely recycled. And for every dull bit that accounts for, the stuff between the action tends to be even worse.

I don't think Nolan is a great director, but he usually keeps me entertained and his movies are usually pretty different. The only real exception so far has been The Dark Knight Rises where you could actually sense he just didn't give a fuck anymore.

Troy Stiffler 11-09-14 11:51 AM

The hyperbole that Nolan's work evokes is very telling of his effect on audiences.

dhmac 11-09-14 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12295989)

Yes, I already linked to that in the original posting. The fact that people can't change their vote in the old poll in light of the films from both directors since 2010 is why I thought a new poll thread was justified.

Troy Stiffler 11-09-14 11:52 AM

I think they're both very handsome men. If that's what the OP is asking.

Anubis2005X 11-09-14 11:54 AM

Not sure I understand what's up with this Nolan backlash. I think he does a great a job and his movies are solid. The way people talk about him, it's like they're putting him in the same category as Shyamalan...

Why So Blu? 11-09-14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 12296039)
Not sure I understand what's up with this Nolan backlash. I think he does a great a job and his movies are solid. The way people talk about him, it's like they're putting him in the same category as Shyamalan...

Skeevy hipsters. Same shit, different drink. As always.

stvn1974 11-09-14 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 12296039)

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are both better than anything Nolan has done.

RichC2 11-09-14 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12296043)
Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are both better than anything Nolan has done.

Which makes me wonder why you keep watching Nolan movies if you know you hate em :lol: I would have stopped after one or two, like I did with M. Night (though I have been tempted to watch Lady in the Water.)

Guru Askew 11-09-14 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12296041)
Skeevy hipsters. Same shit, different drink. As always.

You blame the hate on hipsters. I blame the love on superhero fanboys.

When I was a little kid I'd hate it when my frivolous popcorn movies would be ignored at Oscar season. I was 11/12 when Jurassic Park and Schindler's List came out and I vividly remember thinking Jurassic Park was the best movie ever made and being frustrated that Spielberg made a boring black-and-white movie that stole it's thunder.

I grew out of that mentality but 5 minutes on the Internet will show you that a lot of adults never did. Nolan was an army of Batman's fans ticket to credibility and acclaim. Nolan is the messiah that allows a generation of immature fanboys to watch their movie about a guy who dresses up in a rubber bat suit while convincing themselves and hopefully others that it's serious-business grown-up stuff.

But hey, yeah, we're all hipsters.

Fist of Doom 11-09-14 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 12296028)
I don't think Nolan even tries to entertain his audiences.

Yeah, those couple of billion dollar grossing movies he made prove he's not entertaining his audiences.