Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

It was called that.
Old 04-07-15, 01:24 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Loved the visuals and audio but overall just a tad boring for me

7.5 outta 10
Old 04-07-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Sure, there were a few parts that I just did not care for or buy
Spoiler:
Matthew M. daughter rushing him out of the room on her death bed, yeah I get the "No parent should have to see their kid die" line but it was just so rushed
Ugh. Again? I went through this in post 299. Even the Honest Trailer guy (probably willfully) didn't get it. Murph does not rush him out of the room. The VIDEO cuts to him preparing to fly off to Edmunds' planet, but the AUDIO continues, indicating that the conversation between Murph and Cooper went on for some time. Could have been hours and hours. Would you really want another 30 minute scene of a family conversation during the denouement? In all likelihood, Murph and Coop had plenty of time together getting to know each other and saying goodbye, he met all of the family, had some cake and punch. Then, in due time, he went off to join Brand.

The same thing goes for the complaint a lot of people make about Cooper living "just outside of a NASA installation". They never say how far the NASA location is from their farm. All we see is them leaving in the daytime, and arriving in NASA in darkness. Maybe it wasn't even the same day. Even if it was, do you know how far you can drive in 12 hours? You would end up nowhere near where you started. You could be many states away. How that translates in people's minds to "living next door to", I can't understand.
Old 04-07-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

For a director that is so keen on manipulating time, Nolan is really bad at portraying the passage of it in most of his movies. I agree with you on those two things, and most people who point at those are just looking for things to nitpick about to strengthen their argument about Nolan.
Old 04-07-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
For a director that is so keen on manipulating time, Nolan is really bad at portraying the passage of it.
Time functions differently in Nolan's universe, didn't ya know?
Old 04-07-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Sure why not? Nolan has a great grasp on turning movies into the equivalent of chess games, but he completely misses the boat on some fundamentals: passage of time, characters with actual personality, emotional gravitas (showing tearful characters isn't the same thing as making you feel for them), etc;

But I still enjoy the hell out of most of them.
Old 04-07-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, unless it's in real-time, that's basically true of any film.
Old 04-07-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Nolan pushes the boundaries of tightly-packed, dynamic information - and attempts to treat the viewer like they can keep up. Or, at least, as far as a reasonable producer would allow.

You can nitpick the plot. That's largely because there are so many details. Lazier films tend to simply skip addressing a lot of details. That's something that James Cameron is really good at. You know, the seals blew, the PSI is too low, and now the pump won't work. Other directors pass by those details, because they figure that average viewer won't know what to think about it anyways.

With Interstellar, a lesser writer/director team would have made a 100 minute movie about a dying earth and an astronaut team who goes, goes through a wormhole and finds a new place to live. They would have cutout anything that may challenge the viewer. "This passage of time thing is too confusing - cut it. The guy makes it back, hugs his daughter, and the movie ends. Boom." Nolan is one of the only guys who is getting big budgets to make movies that don't have to treat the viewer like they are dumb (which most of them are).
Old 04-07-15, 04:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a director that is so keen on manipulating time, Nolan is really bad at portraying the passage of it in most of his movies. I agree with you on those two things, and most people who point at those are just looking for things to nitpick about to strengthen their argument about Nolan.
I know, I was surprised to discover that the entirety of Interstellar was intended to occur within 45 seconds.
Old 04-07-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Ugh. Again? I went through this in post 299. Even the Honest Trailer guy (probably willfully) didn't get it. Murph does not rush him out of the room. The VIDEO cuts to him preparing to fly off to Edmunds' planet, but the AUDIO continues, indicating that the conversation between Murph and Cooper went on for some time. Could have been hours and hours. Would you really want another 30 minute scene of a family conversation during the denouement? In all likelihood, Murph and Coop had plenty of time together getting to know each other and saying goodbye, he met all of the family, had some cake and punch. Then, in due time, he went off to join Brand.

The same thing goes for the complaint a lot of people make about Cooper living "just outside of a NASA installation". They never say how far the NASA location is from their farm. All we see is them leaving in the daytime, and arriving in NASA in darkness. Maybe it wasn't even the same day. Even if it was, do you know how far you can drive in 12 hours? You would end up nowhere near where you started. You could be many states away. How that translates in people's minds to "living next door to", I can't understand.

Totally agree.
Old 04-07-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
You know, the seals blew, the PSI is too low, and now the pump won't work.
A penguin drives into a Meineke. They tell him, "You blew a seal."

"Never mind that, just tell me what's wrong with my car!"

Old 04-07-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I know, I was surprised to discover that the entirety of Interstellar was intended to occur within 45 seconds.
The original name was Contact 2: Interstellar Boogaloo.
Old 04-07-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Wasn't there an old, rusty NORAD sign hanging on the fence when Coop first arrived at NASA? I assumed he was originally from Texas which would mean that he drove from Texas to Colorado to get to NASA.
Old 04-08-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

First, calm down there killer. Yeah, I fully got what was going on but I still don't like how it was structured...even knowing what was happening, it still made the scene feel rushed regardless and yes, I wouldn't have mind a longer conversation in general.

But I will say that I should have mentioned that I knew what was going on before posting that.
Old 04-08-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I would have preferred an 80's-style musical montage of cooper getting into hijinks with his elderly daughter and her family. I feel those are the best cinematic representations of time passage.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-08-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They run around cow tipping to "You're the Best! Arouunnnndd"
Old 04-08-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

They run around cow tipping to "You're the Best! Arouunnnndd"
Actually, where there any animals around? Coop's father-in-law lamenting the lack of hot dogs at the ball game and the lack of any animals onscreen made me assume all other animal life had died out. The movie makes a big deal of the death of vegetation due to the Blight but they never mention what happened to animals and insects.
Old 04-08-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I would have preferred an 80's-style musical montage of cooper getting into hijinks with his elderly daughter and her family. I feel those are the best cinematic representations of time passage.
Definitely, that or an endless, beyond boring Tarantino chat that everyone finds "AMAZING!!" except for me.
Old 04-12-15, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched this and I have an observation.

Spoiler:
While discussing Miller's planet, they state that 1 hour on the surface would equal 7 years on Earth, yet they decide to go to the surface to retrieve Miller's data. Isn't this ship full of scientists? According to Michael Caine, Miller, Man, etc. left 10 years ago. Since it takes 2 years to arrive, Miller would only have been on the planet for 8 years Earth time and since 7 years on Earth equals 1 hour on the surface, wouldn't Miller have only been on the surface for a little over an hour and shouldn't these physicists have thought about the fact that that is not enough time for any useful data collection that would warrant the risk? Even an idiot wouldn't risk 7+ years of time to go to the surface and retrieve, at most, an hour's worth of data from someone who is not transmitting when Mann was transmitting for them to come to his planet, only months away.
Old 04-12-15, 07:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The film does address that. They realize (a bit too late) that Miller has only been there for an hour or so.
Old 04-12-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah. In their haste/excitement to explore the first potential planet, they only considered the ramifications of the time lost for them if the planet wasn't viable. It was a typical case of hindsight being 20/20.
Old 08-12-23, 04:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

What a great movie. Took twists and turns I never expected. I mean, I surely didn’t understand some of it, but I was gripped. Totally enchanted. Had no idea anyone else but Matthew was in this. Truly mesmerizing visuals and a character arc to really care about and savor for the entirety. The 3 hrs flew frankly. I was only gonna see a little, swayed by the length, but did it in virtually 2 sittings and just really enjoyed it. Nolan is so cerebral and original. This certainly is Nolan. And, that soundtrack is booming and perfect. The swells and ebbs were very engrossing. Amazing how these composers keep coming up with original, gripping stuff. That end, floored me. Breathtaking movie from beginning to end.
Old 08-12-23, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A penguin drives into a Meineke. They tell him, "You blew a seal."

"Never mind that, just tell me what's wrong with my car!"

Wow, I just made myself laugh all over again. I'd completely forgotten about this joke from 8 years ago and don't recall where I heard it.
Old 08-12-23, 08:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I watched this last night for the first time in a long time and was still as enamored with it. The music. The acting. The visuals. All top notch.

I lump this movie in with epic thinkers like Tree of Life and The Fountain.

Powerful films for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
IBJoel (08-14-23), Kurt D (08-13-23), RocShemp (08-12-23), Why So Blu? (08-12-23)
Old 08-13-23, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I last watched a couple years ago when I got the 4K. Great presentation for the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.