Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 01:40 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Updated:

spoilered for size.

Spoiler:

nice.

Also, i thought this slightly more detailed version had been posted already but couldnt' find it. spoilered for size:

Spoiler:
Old 11-13-14, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted it. I also spoilered it cuz it's big. lol.
Old 11-13-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm curious to see what the Box Office is for this upcoming weekend.

Interstellar was #1 on Monday (partial holiday) and Wednesday, Big Hero 6 was #1 on Tuesday (holiday)

Right now the closest comparison for a mid-week November release would put it at Thor: The Dark World #s for weekend 2, or $35.6m. Which won't happen (it'll likely be $21m, possibly lower).
Old 11-14-14, 07:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd

Funny thing is that if Nolan had avoided all the convoluted nonsense he could have set the movie up a billion times better. Former astronaut Cooper is asked to pilot a mission through a wormhole, apparently opened by a friendly alien species to try and find a habitable planet or the aliens on the other side and must leave his family to do it.
But then that wouldn't be original. Are you actually arguing that you wish the film had been more predictable and standard? The most pleasant part of watching the film for me was never being sure what would happen next.
Old 11-14-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always had a sense of where it was going, minus the blackhole -- wasn't sure what angle they were going to go with on that part. The one thing I really liked about the movie was it had interesting planets, I would have enjoyed them planet hopping a good bit more than they did. Science be damned (in fact, I had no care for the science at all in this movie, I literally just wanted to see awesome planets.)
Old 11-15-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm curious to see what the Box Office is for this upcoming weekend.

Interstellar was #1 on Monday (partial holiday) and Wednesday, Big Hero 6 was #1 on Tuesday (holiday)

Right now the closest comparison for a mid-week November release would put it at Thor: The Dark World #s for weekend 2, or $35.6m. Which won't happen (it'll likely be $21m, possibly lower).
It's on track for a weekend in the high 20s. BH6 in the low 30s and Dumb & Dumber To in the high 30s. All three will be blown out of the water next week though.
Old 11-15-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Defiant1
It's on track for a weekend in the high 20s. BH6 in the low 30s and Dumb & Dumber To in the high 30s. All three will be blown out of the water next week though.
Yeah, Hunger Games should open to $140 - $160m
Old 11-15-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen this twice now and still can't stop thinking about it. Perfect score re-affirmed on second viewing. A movie hasn't affected me like this in quite some time. May go 1-2 more times, especially for the IMAX.
Old 11-15-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Well, just saw it in Imax. Checking the votes, most of you really liked it. I did not. Thought it was boring, emotionally hollow, nonsensical and overall just very disappointing. First Chris Nolan film I didn't like. I was looking forward to it as well. Just thought it was an overlong colossal waste of time. Sure a lot of stuff in Inception didn't make a ton of sense either, but it was set in the world of dreams so it didn't have to. This one was supposed to be about science and I thought it didn't make a lick of sense. Don't even get me started on the Matt Damon villian reveal -- beyond stupid.

The sound mix was terrible as well, at least in IMAX. The score and effects were so damn load that I couldn't understand the dialogue half the time.
Old 11-16-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You don't seriously think they would put a sign outside the theater saying the audio might be difficult to hear.
Old 11-16-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Old 11-16-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I guess that's as good a spin as can be done. Did Nolan release a statement about the audio or are they blowing smoke?
Old 11-16-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess that's as good a spin as can be done. Did Nolan release a statement about the audio or are they blowing smoke?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...stellar-749465
Old 11-16-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had no issues minus that one scene I mentioned previously. That said, what was his excuse for similar issues in Inception?
Old 11-16-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Based on that interview, I'd now like to see Nolan remake M*A*S*H and NASHVILLE.

I wonder if theater managers have the ability to "re-mix" the soundtrack to make it more to their liking. What if some of them responded to patrons' complaints by hiking up the dialogue tracks and lowering the music and effects tracks? Then every experience of INTERSTELLAR would be different, based on the theater manager's preference. Audiences would prefer one theater manager's re-mix over another's and they would spread the word and make a star out of that theater manager, who would then do that with every movie that played in his theater and sound geeks from all over would come to hear them. Thus, an auteur is born.
Old 11-16-14, 11:22 AM
Banned

Projectionists don't have that ability.
Old 11-16-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Chris Nolan and David Lynch need to have a sit down - they have a lot in common.
Old 11-16-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, just saw it in Imax. Checking the votes, most of you really liked it. I did not. Thought it was boring, emotionally hollow, nonsensical and overall just very disappointing. First Chris Nolan film I didn't like. I was looking forward to it as well. Just thought it was an overlong colossal waste of time. Sure a lot of stuff in Inception didn't make a ton of sense either, but it was set in the world of dreams so it didn't have to. This one was supposed to be about science and I thought it didn't make a lick of sense. Don't even get me started on the Matt Damon villian reveal -- beyond stupid.
A couple here and elsewhere have already noted this, but Interstellar is primarily Nolan's re-telling/rebooting of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The better you know Kubrick's movie, the more you can see Nolan's nods toward it. While I wouldn't call Interstellar a "great" film (I thought the first act was "great", though), I do think it's a very good one and one of Nolan's best (probably right behind Memento and The Dark Knight).

I suspect that this will be one of Nolan's films that earns more credit as the years pass. So few films are this ambitious - it's nice to see a director trying to tell a story with this kind of scope - I wish more films were like this (regardless of genre).

As for the science, the world's foremost astrophysicist (being Neil DeGrasse Tyson) has already stated Interstellar's science is pretty spot-on. So you can't knock the movie for that.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-16-14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 11:27 AM
Banned

The whole "Apollo missions were fake" thing in the movie gets a lot of discussion thrown it's way regarding it being an indication of the state of America and the planet. Kids are being discouraged to think about the glories of discovery and instead focus on farming, etc.

But I want to talk about the Yankees! What happened to baseball? What does it say about the future as depicted within the film that professional baseball has degraded to what looks like a high school team?

I would argue that this was a bad choice by Nolan. It appears that the "dust bowl" environment of the film was inspired by the real dust bowl days in America. During the dust bowl and the great depression things like baseball and movies were tremendously popular because they offered people cheap escape from such terrible times. So rather than being in the toilet I would think baseball would be very popular.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-16-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-16-14, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
A couple here and elsewhere have already noted this, but Interstellar is primarily Nolan's re-telling/rebooting of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The better you know Kubrick's movie, the more you can see Nolan's nods toward it. While I wouldn't call Interstellar a "great" film (I thought the first act was "great", though), I do think it's a very good one and one of Nolan's best (probably right behind Memento and The Dark Knight).

As for the science, the world's foremost astrophysicist (being Neil DeGrasse Tyson) has already stated Interstellar's science is pretty spot-on. So you can't knock the movie for that.
While there are certain visual and structural aspects of 2001 that Nolan has appropriated, Interstellar is pretty damn different from 2001. The films are in fact complete opposites in their intent and execution. 2001 deals with the "big question". How did we evolve and if we continue to evolve where are we going?

Interstellar is much more sentimental and interested in the effects that interstellar flight will have on people. Never for a minute does Kubrick indulge the idea that his space voyagers miss home or yearn for love left back on Earth or any of that. In fact he toys with this by showing one astronaut view a Happy Birthday video sent from home and the astronaut gives no reaction.

Anyway I could go on and on but Interstellar is much more similar to Solaris. The book, the Russian movie, the American remake, I don't care which version. The yearning for home, the specter of lost love and those left behind, the idea that by accepting the mission you will never return to earth. Tarkovsky found 2001 cold and inhuman, he set out to make a sci-fi film with more humanity. And that's what Interstellar is too. A film about mans love of fellow man, the strength of love to transcend, etc. Kubrick would never make a film about those kinds of feelings.
Old 11-16-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

IMO Interstellar has a bit of each : Malick, Kubrick, Tarkovsky & Spielberg. The problem is that the Spielberg aspect overshadows everything else and weakens the film.
Old 11-16-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
IMO Interstellar has a bit of each : Malick, Kubrick, Tarkovsky & Spielberg. The problem is that the Spielberg aspect overshadows everything else and weakens the film.
Which one adds unnecessary villains to the 3rd act of a 4 act structure? Or is that a Nolan original?

I mean, 2001 kind of did it with Hal, but that wasn't a Kubrick norm, and not nearly as on the nose.
Old 11-16-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Finally going to see this today. Just needed to make the time for it.

Going to see the 4K Digital showing as opposed to IMAX due to time convenience. Has anyone seen a 4K digital screening? Is it dramatically different compared to a regular screening?
Old 11-16-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when that happened I thought of Sunshine.
Old 11-16-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here, but I'm glad it was only 1/4th of the movie and not the entire second half.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Finally going to see this today. Just needed to make the time for it.

Going to see the 4K Digital showing as opposed to IMAX due to time convenience. Has anyone seen a 4K digital screening? Is it dramatically different compared to a regular screening?
4K looked the same as the IMAX here, but I dunno, is IMAX 4K or is it two 2K?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.