Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-14, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

My favorite movie of the year so far and probably will be by year's end. I've seen it twice already once in IMAX and once in LieMax and enjoyed it even more the 2nd time.
Old 11-08-14, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen LieMAX but can one visually tell the difference between the true IMAX and the LieMAX?
Old 11-08-14, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Between a 6 story screen and one that's barely 2 stories? Yeah, you can see a difference.
Old 11-08-14, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ha.
Old 11-08-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Liemax is basically a regular screen with better sound and brighter picture.
Old 11-08-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So happy I got to see it on a true IMAX screen. It was true beauty!
Old 11-08-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Liemax is basically a regular screen with better sound and brighter picture.
At my local AMC, they basically just took their biggest screen and put the IMAX logo on it. It's two projectors (2K?) which pump out a lot of light, but it does have a nice, bass-heavy sound system. The screen isn't particularly big, to be honest.
Old 11-08-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
No. It's very far from Prometheus. Did you see it?
True. Promotheus is a FAR better film despite it kind of sucking itself.

I thought that this was one of the most monumentally dumb movie I have ever seen. The plot, science, characters everything is just completely contrived and ridiculous.

It has some neat images, and clearly is trying to be 2001 with a good computer but not only are the plot wholes wider than any movie in recent memory, it also manages to be really boring.

The audience I was with did not dig it. Some actually booed.

I did think the concept of the daughter completely blowing off her dad as she laid dying was just plain silly.

Nothing at all makes any sense in this movie.

I give it 1 star for some nice visuals, though the wing view of their spaceship got really annoying.

It also truly felt like this started as a 5 hour film and was cut down to 2:45. Also the worse aging of characters ever in a major film. Michael Caine who looks 80, still looks exactly the same 23 years later.

All this movie shows is for $200 million you truly can polish a stinky corn filled turd and make people think it is a diamond.
Old 11-08-14, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy
My favorite movie of the year so far and probably will be by year's end. I've seen it twice already once in IMAX and once in LieMax and enjoyed it even more the 2nd time.
Wow. Just wow. Wow. Really?????
Old 11-08-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found it pretty entertaining the thing with the daughter didn't bother me at all, she was old as shit and had lived her life. The thing with Caine was kind of annoying though. 23 years and not a day over however old he was at the beginning. I am curious which plot holes you're referring to in specific though.

I do wish they dropped everything with Dr. Mann and Casey Affleck's character. Unnecessary, goofy drama added to the mix.
Old 11-08-14, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I found it pretty entertaining the thing with the daughter didn't bother me at all, she was old as shit and had lived her life. The thing with Caine was kind of annoying though. 23 years and not a day over however old he was at the beginning. I am curious which plot holes you're referring to in specific though.

I do wish they dropped everything with Dr. Mann and Casey Affleck's character. Unnecessary, goofy drama added to the mix.
pick a plot point and it's a hole, seriously.
Old 11-08-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Such as?
Old 11-08-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the greatest living NASA pilot is within quick driving distance of your facility, wouldn't they have liked to recruit him asap for the mission to save humanity which appeared to be years in the making instead of waiting for him to stumble onto their site just days before launch?

I do appreciate Nolan for his ambition though to make movies that provoke discussion. Big budget Hollywood movies are stuck in a morass of low-risk franchise films so it's nice to see someone trying to push the envelope.
Old 11-08-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw that as him being long forgotten and then picked again by the 5th dimension morons. It came off more as silly than a plot hole, though the entirety of NASA's existence was tough to buy.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-14 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-08-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He was the fifth dimension person guiding himself there, wasn't he?
Old 11-08-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so I finally got to see "Interstellar", a speculative tale of mankind's rent on planet Earth coming due, and it's either find another planet to inhabit, or go the ways of the dinosaurs.

Christopher Nolan's film is ambitious in scope, both in time and space, and takes liberties with human emotions as an observable force in of itself, yet somewhat un-quantifiable, but existing nonetheless in terms of interpersonal dynamics. For a film that frames the question, how does mankind take the next necessary leap into space for survival of the species, the mechanics of the plot offer an interesting puzzle to the viewer, and by the time you get to the final act, you either accept the central premise that the Nolans' (Christopher and Jonathan) script pushes through the narrative, or you don't. I lean in the acceptance camp, mainly because, the other camp is a lonely cold place, just like space, and that's just no fun.

Was the film overly long and boring with a running time nearly 3 hours? No, not for me, I was firmly entertained and intrigued as each plot development unfurled for the film. Character development, oddly enough, is not overly expansive, but with the characters providing enough push-pull for actions and motivations while serving the overall plot.

But if "Interstellar" could be considered a 4-act film, I would say the 3rd act is the weakest, and yet oddly dramatic, and I understand why it was somewhat needed to get us to the final act, it just seemed a little too mundane in terms of the plotting. Also, the musical cues and blaring organ play seemed just a bit too overly dramatic and ham-fisted in spots, which was jarring at times.

Anyone who likes space exploration themed films should check this film out, as it is an immersive viewing experience and treats relativistic concepts of time and space of interstellar travel well enough to explain to the laymen without dumbing it down so much that it shows contempt for its audience.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
Old 11-08-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
He was the fifth dimension person guiding himself there, wasn't he?
Naw, he was a third dimension being in a fifth dimension generated space guiding himself there. We are never shown anything of the fifth dimension, just three dimensional representations of it.
Old 11-08-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But there weren't beings guiding us, or were there? I though that it was a time-loop kind of thing where the human were guiding themselves there?
Old 11-08-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably open to interpretation, I was going off character wise that Cooper knew what he was talking about all the time and Caine was constantly full of shit.

So you can either go with his "They didn't pick me, they picked her." line, or "Follow your heart" shit. Your pick, I go for our evolved selves fucked something up and needed to use us to fix it.
Old 11-08-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

This was awesome man

I find space shit like this so interesting i was glued to the screen when he was going through the dimensions
Old 11-08-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it for a second time tonight and enjoyed it perhaps more than the first viewing and picked up on a lot more.

I would say, for my money, it was a 5 star science fiction film. I hope it inspires more sci-fi like this, because this is the type of sci-fi film I feel like has been lacking for a long time. But it's not a perfect film. It's a very good film, and a superb sci-fi film. I'd probably give it 4.5 stars.
Old 11-08-14, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed Interstellar, but I agree with the people that say Nolan tried to hit the ball out of the park and ended up missing the ball entirely...or perhaps he clipped it and got thrown out at first base. Visually, the movie is stunning. Otherwise, it's mediocre: numerous plot holes, bad science, ho-hum characters, melodrama, weak ending.

I'd still give the movie three stars out of five because it is entertaining. To me, it felt like a 2 hour movie, even though it's nearly 3 hours long. But the movie is not even in the same league as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Nice try, Nolan.

This is the best review I've read: Interstellar Science.
Old 11-08-14, 11:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Okay, so I finally got to see "Interstellar", a speculative tale of mankind's rent on planet Earth coming due, and it's either find another planet to inhabit, or go the ways of the dinosaurs.

Christopher Nolan's film is ambitious in scope, both in time and space, and takes liberties with human emotions as an observable force in of itself, yet somewhat un-quantifiable, but existing nonetheless in terms of interpersonal dynamics. For a film that frames the question, how does mankind take the next necessary leap into space for survival of the species, the mechanics of the plot offer an interesting puzzle to the viewer, and by the time you get to the final act, you either accept the central premise that the Nolans' (Christopher and Jonathan) script pushes through the narrative, or you don't. I lean in the acceptance camp, mainly because, the other camp is a lonely cold place, just like space, and that's just no fun.

Was the film overly long and boring with a running time nearly 3 hours? No, not for me, I was firmly entertained and intrigued as each plot development unfurled for the film. Character development, oddly enough, is not overly expansive, but with the characters providing enough push-pull for actions and motivations while serving the overall plot.

But if "Interstellar" could be considered a 4-act film, I would say the 3rd act is the weakest, and yet oddly dramatic, and I understand why it was somewhat needed to get us to the final act, it just seemed a little too mundane in terms of the plotting. Also, the musical cues and blaring organ play seemed just a bit too overly dramatic and ham-fisted in spots, which was jarring at times.

Anyone who likes space exploration themed films should check this film out, as it is an immersive viewing experience and treats relativistic concepts of time and space of interstellar travel well enough to explain to the laymen without dumbing it down so much that it shows contempt for its audience.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
I disagree with that, taking the movie's "science" as real is a disservice to true science. I like the movie a lot too alright but time dilation, warping space, wormholes do not work as depicted.
Old 11-09-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, wormholes should be purple-blue, the realm of the Prophets, and take you to the Gamma Quadrant!
Old 11-09-14, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I did think the concept of the daughter completely blowing off her dad as she laid dying was just plain silly.
She didn't "blow him off." She said no parent should see their child die, and she didn't want to put him through that, so they said their goodbyes and sent him away.

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow. Just wow. Wow.
It's 2014. "Wow. Just wow" has been stale for years.

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
This is the best review I've read: Interstellar Science.
My problem with that is that the blogger complains about things that were actually addressed in the movie, such as why robots weren't sent through the wormhole. He also gets lost too deep in the weeds. "Interstellar" isn't a science documentary. Some details you have to let slide in order to allow the movie to get to where it's going.

I don't care what the temperature of a black hole's accretion disc is, or what it would do to a spaceship that wasn't at least x distance away. It's sort of missing the point.

Originally Posted by nando820
I disagree with that, taking the movie's "science" as real is a disservice to true science. I like the movie a lot too alright but time dilation, warping space, wormholes do not work as depicted.
Wait, you know for sure how theoretical physics like wormholes works for real?

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 11-09-14 at 12:39 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.