Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 01:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Interstellar" (Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Wes Bentley, Jessica Chastain, Matt Damon, Casey Affleck, Michael Caine)

Release Date:
11/07/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for some intense perilous action and brief strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
169m. (2h. 49m.)

Budget:
$165 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In the near future Earth has been devastated by drought and famine, causing a scarcity in food and extreme changes in climate. When humanity is facing extinction, a mysterious rip in the space-time continuum is discovered, giving mankind the opportunity to widen their lifespan. A group of explorers must travel beyond our solar system in search of a planet that can sustain life. The crew of the Endurance are required to think bigger and go further than any human in history as they embark on an interstellar voyage, into the unknown. However, through the wormhole, one hour is the equivalent of seven years back on Earth, so the mission won't work if the people on Earth are dead by the time they pull it off. And Coop, the pilot of the Endurance, must decide between seeing his children again and the future of the human race.

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.4 (7,172 votes as of 11/04/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:54 Rotten:17 (76% as of 11/04/14)

Metacritic:
76 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 11/04/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/95259" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 11-04-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Rave 4-star review in the New York Post, by Lou Lumenick:

http://nypost.com/2014/11/03/interst...-this-century/
Old 11-04-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think this is one of the first Nolan movies to actually win over most NYC critics
Old 11-04-14, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a screening and the ending is something I am still trying to make sense of. The movie has some religious overtones that come full circle near the end which is something Nolan is known for.

A lot of scientific terminology is used in this movie which can create even more confusion for the general viewer.

I do like how another big name actor was not shown in the trailers, but had an impactful role in the movie. I also liked how multiple scientific theories and philosophical questions are explored and combined.

Waiting for others to chime in on what they thought about the last 30 minutes.

B+

Time to sleep!
Old 11-04-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just back from an IMAX 70mm viewing.

I'm going to hold off on rating it until a second viewing. The ending was a complete "what the hell." I think it will draw comparisons to 2001.

The science was great. The graphics were great. The discussions about time and love and everything were interesting.

The score was wonderful. The sound had a few problems, namely a few lines of dialogue were VERY hard to understand. Not sure if it was sound mixing or what, but the score was so loud it drown out a few lines of dialogue.

Everyone in the packed showing just sort of sat there in stunned silence at the end.

I find the most interesting part
Spoiler:
the time paradox of "how did the future humans (they) save themselves by going backwards in time from future if they weren't saved to begin with"
Old 11-05-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THIS IS WHY I LOVE MOVIES! Interstellar is phenomenal on so many levels. According to Letterboxd, I've only given 19 movies a perfect score, ever. Full YouTube Review (text cliffs below):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GUT3r1LgZ4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't stop thinking about this movie and just want to re-watch it immediately. The story is so ambitious and well-executed - I had such a range of emotions from tears to being on the edge of my seat. Zimmer's score works perfectly and the acting is fantastic all around. I can go on and on about how great this movie is, but I'd be wasting your time since you should be spending your time seeing this movie. See this on the largest screen possible, preferably 70MM IMAX, and enjoy the show!
Old 11-05-14, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to sound rude but.... You're not going to be pimping your videos like this normally are you? Putting it in the movie thread and then the review one too?
Old 11-05-14, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A.O. Scott's favorable review in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/mo...dayspaper&_r=0

Here's a dissenting comment accompanying that review:
Saw this last night at a huge WGA screening in NYC. The audience was restless and often sounded bored. It received a weak smattering of applause at the end of its incoherent dull three hours. As with most of Mr. Nolan's films, the sound and music mix were so outrageously loud 50% of the trite dialogue was an incomprehensible, muddy mess. (Which I suppose is something for which to be grateful.). All of the visual beauty and "deep" ideas in any number of universes can't cover the fact that the script isn't very good and the story makes no sense. The usher at AMC's Lincoln Plaza stood outside the theatre, loudly shouting, "It's great, isn't it? It's brilliant, isn't it?" When the man in front of me said it was terrible, the usher shouted: "Oh come on, guys!" My companion turned to me and asked: "What do you expect from the same director whose last film was about a pinwheel locked in a safe?"
Old 11-05-14, 08:11 AM

"What do you expect from the same director whose last film was about a pinwheel locked in a safe?"

LMAO!
Old 11-05-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds divisive.

James Berardinelli (Reelviews.net) gave it a 4/4: http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=2827
Old 11-05-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Not to sound rude but.... You're not going to be pimping your videos like this normally are you? Putting it in the movie thread and then the review one too?
Old 11-05-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I liked it but It seemed to be missing a lot of info. Why exactly is there so much dust and why is the Earth dying? Those last 30 minutes dragged on and I still can't figure out the whole 3rd -5th dimension babble.
Old 11-05-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Roeper's evil twin apparently liked it:

<iframe width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.reelz.com/player.aspx?clipid=76733"></iframe>
Interstellar

Last edited by RichC2; 11-05-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another naysayer...Stephanie Zacharek's negative review in the Village Voice:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2014-10-...-in-his-stars/

Here's a quote:

Whatever his strengths may be, Nolan lacks the human touch. His movies are numbingly sexless, and by that I don’t mean they need sex scenes or nudity -- those things are rarely really about sex anyway. But in all of Nolan’s films, human connection is such a noble idea that it’s beyond the grasp of flesh-and-blood people. Nothing in Interstellar is ever ragged or raw or dirty (though there is, admittedly, a lot of dust). Characters gabble on about taking risks, about needing one another, but they never leap toward anything so dangerous as intimacy. “Rage against the dying of the light!” Nolan urges us, and he himself burns through a great deal of electricity and gas to keep his spectacle glowing for as long as possible. He has so much invested in showing us. He just doesn’t want to get close enough to touch us. Space suits him just fine.
Old 11-05-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used the word "sexless" to describe Inception years ago. So there.
Old 11-05-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Sounds divisive.
Nolan fans in 2010:

"The critics agree: Nolan is a genius!"

Nolan fans in 2014:

"His films are divisive: the mark of a true artist!"
Old 11-05-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much of the film is in IMAX? There's a true IMAX theater showing this close to me so if it's a significant portion, I might just watch it there instead of one of the LieMAX ones.
Old 11-05-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kal-El
How much of the film is in IMAX? There's a true IMAX theater showing this close to me so if it's a significant portion, I might just watch it there instead of one of the LieMAX ones.
About a third of the film was shot in IMAX and there are some shots that I questioned how Nolan will frame them in 2.40:1.

Just saw it. Don't know what to make of it as a second viewing (in IMAX again) is in order. I'd peg the film closer to Spielberg-ian territory a la Close Encounters of the Third Kind rather than say 2001.

Nolan's comment about "follow the emotion and not the science" was spot-on. There were a few moments that had my friends and I in tears.
Old 11-05-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I saw it there, the frame shifted sizes a fair few times.
Old 11-05-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What an amazing, ambitious piece of work. Nolan's love letter to 2001. The ideas he posits here are as big as they come, and the science behind it all made enough movie-sense to work in my mind.

I've only got a few scripting issues, mostly related to the drama between McConaughey and his daughter, but overall seeing this in IMAX 70mm was a breathtaking experience.
Old 11-05-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any word on how the celluloid screenings did? I'm not delusional enough to think it will make much difference, but has there been any turnout of note? Anyone genuinely interested and paying for it.
Old 11-05-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently, the only screenings are celluloid. We won't know how they've done comparatively until the weekend is through.
Old 11-05-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Any word on how the celluloid screenings did? I'm not delusional enough to think it will make much difference, but has there been any turnout of note? Anyone genuinely interested and paying for it.
There might be a small handful of people who make an effort to see this in one one format vs. another, but 99% of the audience is going to see this in whatever theater they like best/is most convenient.
Old 11-05-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trickshot
"What do you expect from the same director whose last film was about a pinwheel locked in a safe?" LMAO!
Reminds me of my dad. He said of Citizen Kane "he's rich, why not just buy a new sled?"

Originally Posted by rocket1312
There might be a small handful of people who make an effort to see this in one one format vs. another, but 99% of the audience is going to see this in whatever theater they like best/is most convenient.
That's what I'm saying. I'm amazed Nolan, even with his clout, got them to dig out the mothballed projectors and make prints, even in small quantities. I'd like to think some people will go out of their way actually see it on film, but I'm not foolish enough to think 99% of the population will care either way.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-10-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hey Solid Snake. Had posted in that thread before and saw it in my subscriptions before seeing this review thread. Apologize for the inconvenience.

Hopefully it's not too distracting - just thought I'd share with the community around here in case anyone was interested. For what it's worth I also put some written comments as well and have been a DVDTalk poster for far longer than I've been doing YouTube reviews.

Once again, sorry if it's very bothersome to you. Seems like it would be something easy to gloss over if you're not interested.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.