Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 04:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. Like many of Nolan's flicks, I don't think this will hold up to too many repeat viewings for me. Two or three maybe. Four tops.

That said, the bit where he's watching all of the messages from his family, then his daughter's message pops up, and we see Chastain as Murph for the first time... Fuck. I got chills. Probably the most emotional part of the whole film for me.
Old 11-16-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to wait until next weekend to see it in 70mm. Hope the extra ticket price is worth it.

Something about this movie just doesn't really excite me. I'm not going in with any real expectations. The word of mouth is too mixed and the I'm not a a huge fan of the genre its paying homage to. Unlike a lot of other people it seems nowadays, Nolan is one of my favorite directors but this seems a bit detached from his other movies.
Old 11-16-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO, it was, though I'd pay more for the chance to see almost anything in which I was interested on film. I'd pay 3-D ticket prices for celluloid which I won't pay for 3-D .
Old 11-16-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Based on that interview, I'd now like to see Nolan remake M*A*S*H and NASHVILLE. I wonder if theater managers have the ability to "re-mix" the soundtrack to make it more to their liking. What if some of them responded to patrons' complaints by hiking up the dialogue tracks and lowering the music and effects tracks? Then every experience of INTERSTELLAR would be different, based on the theater manager's preference. Audiences would prefer one theater manager's re-mix over another's and they would spread the word and make a star out of that theater manager, who would then do that with every movie that played in his theater and sound geeks from all over would come to hear them. Thus, an auteur is born.
I would hope not, it's bad enough that they can mangle the aspect ratios. If nothing else, at least DCPs should be encoded at the right ratios and with the proper sound mixes. Although even then, it's up to cinema owners and nonexistent projectionists to play them right. I had little trouble with it. I saw it on film, but I assume the sound was digital. There were only one or two lines where I had difficulty hearing. I thought it looked and sounded beautiful. Whatever problems it had were to do with Nolan's script and direction and design, not how it was projected or sounded.
Old 11-16-14, 06:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

FYI, I saw the movie in true IMAX 70mm/15 perf on an enormous screen in a true IMAX theater that was built in 1996. The film was HUGE and truly overwhelming. Right afterword I theater hopped into the same multiplex's screening of 4K digital IMAX. It was no contest. The incredible size of the true IMAX screen, the incredible dynamics of IMAX sound system almost completely overwhelms the viewer. After watching that, walking into the 4K auditorium was like leaving a regular 35mm screening and walking into a 16mm film being projected on your grandparents living room wall. It was passable, but compared to true IMAX it was night and day.
Old 11-16-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

For those that wanted to know whether Nolan turned up the sound or not:

Since the movie’s opening on Nov. 5, some viewers have complained about the movie’s sound, claiming some key dialogue is difficult to hear and raising questions about whether it is the fault of the sound mix or the sound systems in some of the theaters where the film is playing. But Nolan said the movie’s sound is exactly as he intended and he praised theaters for presenting it correctly.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...stellar-749465
Old 11-16-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
For those that wanted to know whether Nolan turned up the sound or not:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...stellar-749465
Didn't gp1086 already link this in post #238?
Old 11-16-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't that basically the same excuse he used for Bane in TDKR?

But The Hollywood Reporter has learned that director Christopher Nolan isn’t going to make the process that easy. While some high level Warner Bros. execs are wringing their hands over this problem, Nolan apparently likes the fact that audiences can’t entirely understand what Bane is saying. He plans to alter the sound slightly, but not rework it completely.

“Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn’t dumb things down,” one source tells THR. “You’ve got to pedal faster to keep up.”
Old 11-16-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just got back from seeing it this afternoon.

Really liked it. A very ambitious movie and of course some of the folks here tore it apart as I've seen in the previous pages.

Anyways, what really made the movie for me was the characters. The father-daughter relationship between Cooper and Murph really resonated with me. Some really good performances from McConaughey, MacKenzie Foy and even Chastain. I took a lot of it as their relationship really stood the test of time and space. (Yeah I know that sounds really corny)

The space scenes were gorgeous and even the visuals of the planet that Cooper, Doyle, Brand and Romilly visited looked stunning. But some of the music was way too loud. There were some scenes that I could barely hear what they were saying.

Sure some of the "Science" in this movie was a little out there. I don't think I quite understood the significance of the equations that Professor Brand was working on and how it was supposed to save the world. Same with that pivotal scene with older Murph, Coop and the watch. That whole sequence was a little out there. Well, I'm not here to tear apart this movie because it didn't give me a major science fiction erection.

As for the ending:

Spoiler:

I would have personally preferred that Coop died and we fast forward to seeing what life is like for Murph and her family. Keeping Coop still looking young at 124 years old and seeing Murph on her death bed sucked. I wanted to feel a little more emotion for Coop's sacrifice.

The characters and visuals really made this for me. I'd give it a B+

I don't think it has a lot of replay value. I don't see myself wanting to watch this again right away, but I will probably re-visit it again when it hits home video next year.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-16-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't gp1086 already link this in post #238?

Oh. Well, fuck it.
Old 11-16-14, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Isn't that basically the same excuse he used for Bane in TDKR?
that quote doesn't really say much aside from the alteration of the sound. I never had any issue w/ understanding Bane. Sounded fine to me.
Old 11-16-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mabuse
FYI, I saw the movie in true IMAX 70mm/15 perf on an enormous screen in a true IMAX theater that was built in 1996. The film was HUGE and truly overwhelming. Right afterword I theater hopped into the same multiplex's screening of 4K digital IMAX. It was no contest. The incredible size of the true IMAX screen, the incredible dynamics of IMAX sound system almost completely overwhelms the viewer. After watching that, walking into the 4K auditorium was like leaving a regular 35mm screening and walking into a 16mm film being projected on your grandparents living room wall. It was passable, but compared to true IMAX it was night and day.

I've seen the film three times already. Twice in 15/70 IMAX and once in 4K. No doubt about it, the 15/70 IMAX presentation is a far superior presentation and a more visceral experience.
Old 11-17-14, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got back from seeing it this afternoon.

Really liked it. A very ambitious movie and of course some of the folks here tore it apart as I've seen in the previous pages.

Anyways, what really made the movie for me was the characters. The father-daughter relationship between Cooper and Murph really resonated with me. Some really good performances from McConaughey, MacKenzie Foy and even Chastain. I took a lot of it as their relationship really stood the test of time and space. (Yeah I know that sounds really corny)

The space scenes were gorgeous and even the visuals of the planet that Cooper, Doyle, Brand and Romilly visited looked stunning. But some of the music was way too loud. There were some scenes that I could barely hear what they were saying.

Sure some of the "Science" in this movie was a little out there. I don't think I quite understood the significance of the equations that Professor Brand was working on and how it was supposed to save the world. Same with that pivotal scene with older Murph, Coop and the watch. That whole sequence was a little out there. Well, I'm not here to tear apart this movie because it didn't give me a major science fiction erection.

As for the ending:

Spoiler:

I would have personally preferred that Coop died and we fast forward to seeing what life is like for Murph and her family. Keeping Coop still looking young at 124 years old and seeing Murph on her death bed sucked. I wanted to feel a little more emotion for Coop's sacrifice.

The characters and visuals really made this for me. I'd give it a B+

I don't think it has a lot of replay value. I don't see myself wanting to watch this again right away, but I will probably re-visit it again when it hits home video next year.
Spoiler:
I guess people interpret sacrifice in various ways. I thought he did sacrifice a huge deal in pretty much losing his daughter. They no longer had a life together, he did not see her grow from a child to an adult, he did not see her get married and have a large family... they were no longer a part of each other's lives. Sure they both lived to see each other 80 years later, but there was definitely sacrifice.
Old 11-17-14, 06:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us not forget the son too. The son eventually had to let him go. That would a hard thing to see too
Old 11-17-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Doesn't really matter the dialogue was atrocious in this movie as well.
Old 11-17-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Doesn't really matter the dialogue was atrocious in this movie as well.
Really? While there were definitely some horrible lines, I didn't think most of it was that bad, just a chunk of Michael Caine's lines and a few about love which were just brutally corny.
Old 11-17-14, 12:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
wait. I only saw Gravity once. I think it was silent in space the whole time, no?
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Gravity did have silence in space, not sure what the nephew is talking about. The trailers did have sound though, to draw in the dumbos.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
yeah. That I remember but I don't remember any noise in space. Any and all noise was pretty much to what could come in contact to Ryan.
Yeah. No sound, except for the bass-y THUDs and such. Basically, the kind of stuff you feel, but don't hear. That said, the score on that film was made specifically to emphasize the chaos of what was on-screen. So, the score acted as the sound effects in a way, but not in a traditional way.

IMO, GRAVITY is still by far the better movie, but they're just so completely different in scope that I don't think it makes any sense to compare them. One DVDTalk reviewer said that Interstellar makes Gravity look silly. That's absurd.
Old 11-17-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're different genres, Gravity is a survival pic in space, Interstellar is basically a space adventure movie.

Gravity had substantially better directing, Interstellar had a lot more ambition while trying to stay a traditional blockbuster.
Old 11-17-14, 12:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
They're different genres, Gravity is a survival pic in space, Interstellar is basically a space adventure movie.
Absolutely! I know people want to compare them because they're both "space event movies" or whatever, but you're spot-on. Aside from being in space, they're completely different genres.

Gravity had substantially better directing, Interstellar had a lot more ambition while trying to stay a traditional blockbuster.
I think Interstellar had more ambition in its scope, but Gravity was equally ambitious in its execution (that opening shot is unrivalled.)
Old 11-17-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, I don't think long shots are ambitious for him, he has them mastered
Old 11-17-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://deadline.com/2014/11/interste...et-1201286379/

You can now purchase a ticket ranging from $19.99 to $34.99 to watch Interstellar as many times as you want at select AMC theaters.

“Interstellar Unlimited Tickets” will be sold at 330 AMC locations, which reps just under 10% of the film’s current theatrical count of 3,561 theaters (AMC operates 344 theatres in the U.S., counting 4,959 screens). The “Unlimited Ticket” price varies by location, from $19.99 to $34.99. Those AMC Stubs members who have already bought a ticket can upgrade for $14.99. There is a limited quantity of unlimited passes available. The impetus to issue them stemmed from AMC consumer feedback, which indicated that moviegoers wanted to see Interstellar again. In a statement, Elizabeth Frank, AMC Theatres executive VP and chief content and programming officer, exclaimed that the unlimited ticket is good “at any AMC location, any showtime, in any format, including IMAX.”

You're better off just waiting the extra 4-6 months for the BD.
Old 11-17-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

If there were scenes like this in GRAVITY and INTERSTELLAR, I would have rushed to see them:

Old 11-17-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If there were scenes like this in GRAVITY and INTERSTELLAR, I would have rushed to see them:
You must have loved Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 11-17-14, 02:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
J

As for the ending:

Spoiler:

I was also very curious about

Spoiler:
why none of Murph's family at the end of the movie seemed at all interested in meeting their grandfather/great-grandfather. They completely ignored him.
Old 11-17-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bandoman - I thought of that, too, but
Spoiler:
they're so far removed from Coop and Murph that it would not have mattered. It's inconsequential. It's about Murph and Coop and not about a full blown family reunion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.