Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Old 08-28-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Ummm ... because that is the typical next step in the progression of a hero's journey? ("Hero" being used as gender neutral before you decide to be outraged over that.)

Damn dude, come down off it already.
You guys bitch and moan about lack of originality then you throw out... But that's how it's always been done!!... as your reason for why WW needs to broken?

That's stupid shit.
Old 08-28-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie
But that's been one of the big criticisms of Superman for the longest time, whether it be in the comics or film.
"He's too perfect," "he's too powerful," "he's a boy scout..." "he's not relatable."
Yeah, so they "break" him and make him easeir to relate too in "Man of Steel" and people lost their fuckin' shit because the truth is... THEY DON'T WANT HIM BROKEN!

But with WW...let's break her!!

And that's been a big criticism of DC and an argument for as for why Marvel's always been more successful in the comics medium.
Their characters, starting in 1960s, were seen as flawed and relatable, with their own host of problems. DC on the other hand, was seen by some as having perfect but boring characters.
Yeah I know. I've heard it for years being a DC fan.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-28-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Ever seen Superman 2? That's the template.

For THAT film.

I'm starting to feel no one around here is film literate.
I'm starting to feel people around her like the same ole shit over and over.
Old 08-28-17, 07:24 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

People lost their shit over Man of Steel because it fuckin sucked.
Old 08-28-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

This is due out tomorrow on iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, VOD, etc;. Just figured I'd mention that.

Man of Steel's problem was that it just. kept. going. and going. and going.
Old 08-28-17, 07:32 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The Energizer bunny of shitfests.
Old 08-28-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Originally Posted by RichC2

Man of Steel's problem was that it just. kept. going. and going. and going.

Whatever...AAAND because people didn't want their precious 70+ yo Superman's story changed. ...SAME OLD SHIT is what they want.
Old 08-28-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't mind the story changes, it just got boring well before it ended
Old 08-28-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
I didn't mind the story changes, it just got boring well before it ended
If it doesn't apply, let it fly....
Old 08-28-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

fair
Old 08-29-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You guys bitch and moan about lack of originality then you throw out... But that's how it's always been done!!... as your reason for why WW needs to broken?

That's stupid shit.
No one said that she "needs" to be broken. One poster just said that the sequel will probably explore the situations James Cameron is bringing up. That somehow turned into white, straight males wanting to humble minority characters.

Yeah, so they "break" him and make him easeir to relate to in "Man of Steel" and people lost their fuckin' shit because the truth is... THEY DON'T WANT HIM BROKEN!

But with WW...let's break her!!
You're early argument about straight white males only wanting minority characters to be broken or "humbled" doesn't seem to pass muster.
Virtually no one had a problem with Batman, who's a straight, white and male, literally getting broken in The Dark Knight Rises.
Many people had a problem with Man of Steel because it was a flawed film.
Some of those people had a problem with it because it wasn't light-hearted, or as colorful, etc.

I agree with you that Man of Steel was a good and enjoyable film. We finally got an amazing superhuman battle in a Superman film. Henry Cavill looks even more the part than Christopher Reeve IMO. But I also agree with critics that it was really flawed and had some stupid moments.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Nah, it was okay at worst, solid film at best. For me, it's equal to Batman Begins. People exaggerate how much the flaws affected the overall film.

Now Batman vs Superman, while pretty at times, veers into "it sucks" territory.

Last edited by brayzie; 08-29-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie
No one said that she "needs" to be broken. One poster just said that the sequel will probably explore the situations James Cameron is bringing up. That somehow turned into white, straight males wanting to humble minority characters.
Sure they did. You just can't see it. Especially after people started pissing out the "This is how heroes are traditionally done!!" stuff.

You're early argument about straight white males only wanting minority characters to be broken or "humbled" doesn't seem to pass mustard.
Virtually no one had a problem with Batman, who's a straight, white male, literally getting broken in The Dark Knight Rises.

Sorry it's a valid point. It's not the first time I've seen it. It goes deep and they don't even realize they're obsessed with "breaking people" and "Humbling" them... Strong Women in particular. Maybe it's some "watch them rise up from being broken" fetish...who knows. But shit, if she is strong...let her be strong. No need to break her or bring up breaking her like Cameraon and posters here did.

Many people had a problem with Man of Steel because it was a flawed film.
Some of those people had a problem with it because it wasn't light-hearted, or as colorful, etc.

I agree with you that Man of Steel was a good and enjoyable film. We finally got an amazing superhuman battle in a Superman film. Henry Cavill looks even more the part than Christofer Reeve IMO. But I also agree with critics that it was really flawed and had some stupid moments.
ALL films are flawed ...on both sides.
Old 08-29-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Sure they did. You just can't see it.
Maybe I need special sunglasses to read their posts correctly.

Sorry it's a valid point. It's not the first time I've seen it. It goes deep and they don't even realize they're obsessed with "breaking people" and "Humbling" them... Strong Women in particular. Maybe it's some "watch them rise up from being broken" fetish...who knows.
Never came across that before. There's a lot of strong female characters/heroes that I like I don't remember ever coming across people saying they need to be broken or they're too strong.
I think the only thing that came close to that is the whole Superman vs Wonder Woman/who's more powerful argument.

It's a common complaint that Superman is too strong, that's why he's not a good character, he needs to be de-powered, etc. And yet he's a straight, white, male character receiving these complaints.

But shit, if she is strong...let her be strong. No need to break her or bring up breaking her like Cameraon and posters here did.
I think Cameron is just trying to big himself up at someone else's expense. "Look at me! I was the first to make strong female action heroes! And they had more dimension too!"

ALL films are flawed ...on both sides.
True. Batman & Robin for example was a good film in spite of its flaws.